5 million HTC One sales

FavBrowser

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Just shows you that a company that releases a high end Android AND CAN'T COMPETE AGAINST SAMSUNG IN TERMS OF MARKETING BUDGET will still sell while Nokai barely sold 5 million in 3 months having dozens of Lumia phones in the market.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/23/4358378/htc-one-5-million-smartphone-sales

It took HTC only a month.

Nokia should switch to Android for their high end phones and produce WP low ends.

We are talking about flagship, 5 million * $600 = $3000000000 in revenue in ONE MONTH, one such device alone would end Nokia struggles and allow them to reinvest everything to innovation that would benefit the consumers

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry, the rate at which Nokia is falling they'll be switching to Android eventually. It was an asinine decision to stick to Windows Phone only. If HTC and Samsung can do both, so can Nokia. I've yet to see a single Windows Phone here in the 3 years that it's been out. I have seen thousands of One X, S3, Note etc etc. Heck I've seen the 808 PureView more than a Lumia phone, and the 808 costs nearly the same as 920.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You call increasing WP sales 30% QoQ falling?
Yes, compared to the competition I do. This has put all those 'Android is bad for HTC' BS rumours to rest. If HTC with all their hell can manage to sell 5 million HTC One, it's painful to see Nokia only managing the same sales figures by selling like 10 different Lumia phones. Does anyone know how many Lumia 920 were sold? My guess is less than a million.
Judging by how successful HTC One is turning out to be, I can only imagine the kind of success Nokia would have had with a hero Android device.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I really really doubt that HTC one has sold 5M in 3 months like the article says. I don't think any conclusion of yours hold until that number is proven correct.

Anyhow, Lumia sales trends are so clearly up that even Nokia can make bold claims of them. They will be way over 10M by Q4 anyway so why should it matter?

FavBrowser

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
You call increasing WP sales 30% QoQ falling?

Also, given that HTC expects their total revenue to be around 2.3B USD for the whole Q2, I doubt this sales figure is actually true.

They can sell 20 million units and their division will still be losing money, Nokia is more than just WP and yes, it's bad. They need high end phone sales with huge margins, not 10 million 521's that make $1 each

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, let's throw away all that hard work and start over again​. /s

No.. that is blunder. They have to keep the lumia and start drodia as well and grow both.. and then add Asha high end with meego kind of UI.. and that's Jack pot.

I am waiting to buy asha 501 with the new UI.. I will certainly buy high end of the new Asha software.

MS has to really up their speed and bring it equal to Android soon.. Nokia is losing because of that..

Come one.. ppls cannot change ring tone for calendar reminders.. My dad told that the Lg phone which he used for the last three years (not it is not android) has that feature. I don't know why windows phone is so bad.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Come one.. ppls cannot change ring tone for calendar reminders.. My dad told that the Lg phone which he used for the last three years (not it is not android) has that feature. I don't know why windows phone is so bad.

It was left out because a huge majority of people never touch those settings and just use whatever default tone they can find. So why bother?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
It was left out because a huge majority of people never touch those settings and just use whatever default tone they can find. So why bother?

Because people who do care about those settings are usually the kind of people who get asked "What phone should I buy?" and the reply is "whatever you get, don't get that WP crap, you can't even do <insert thing here>"

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I really really doubt that HTC one has sold 5M in 3 months like the article says. I don't think any conclusion of yours hold until that number is proven correct.

Anyhow, Lumia sales trends are so clearly up that even Nokia can make bold claims of them. They will be way over 10M by Q4 anyway so why should it matter?
10M sales for 10 different phones combined means nothing. Have you ever seen Samsung make claims on total number of Galaxy phones sold? No. They're always specific about S4 or Note 2. Apple is always specific about iPhone 5. So I'm waiting for sales figures for Lumia 920.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I love the design and features of the HTC One but you would have to be crazy to invest in HTC right now. How can a company provide 18-24 month support when their execs are jumping ship daily. I have an HTC phone now, and love it, but I have very little faith that HTC will still be around much longer, 5 million phones sold is not going to bring in enough revenue to offset the astronomically large development/advertising cost. 5 million HTC Ones sold / 900 million android activations = .0055% of all android phone sold...

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I love the design and features of the HTC One but you would have to be crazy to invest in HTC right now. How can a company provide 18-24 month support when their execs are jumping ship daily. I have an HTC phone now, and love it, but I have very little faith that HTC will still be around much longer, 5 million phones sold is not going to bring in enough revenue to offset the astronomically large development/advertising cost. 5 million HTC Ones sold / 900 million android activations = .0055% of all android phone sold...

HTC will really need to ramp up the propoganda machine because of what you just said. I personally like the HTC One butter than the S4 but the prospect of timely future support from a company in some trouble would scare me away. This is something that still troubles the Blackberry brand even with the new overhaul. Despite everything they're still plagued with attitudes like "Blackberry? Are they still around?" from the consumer public who aren't up to date in tech news. At least for WP8 and Nokia they still have one safety net in that there's still enough consumer confidence in knowing that even if WP struggles, MS has the financial muscle to not be at risk of going into a freefall. This is partly why I'm disinclined to buy from BB or HTC because their entire future depends on smartphones so if they muck it up there's nothing to fall back on. Samsung has an entire portfolio of electronic appliances to fuel them, MS and Apple also have computers and computer OS's to fuel them. Blackberry, HTC and the like have only mobile devices to live or die by and that's it.
The one risk for MS is that they must succeed in mobile because the future is heading there in a big way, and if their primary window into that market (Nokia) falls, they're going to have to basically start making their own phones.

UPDATE: Apparently those recent articles about HTC execs leaving are all coming from within their Marketing dept. which is where HTC needs to make changes. Gotta love those tech media outlets and their hype.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just shows you that a company that releases a high end Android AND CAN'T COMPETE AGAINST SAMSUNG IN TERMS OF MARKETING BUDGET will still sell while Nokai barely sold 5 million in 3 months having dozens of Lumia phones in the market.

'Around 5 million' HTC One phones sold since launch | The Verge

It took HTC only a month.

Nokia should switch to Android for their high end phones and produce WP low ends.

We are talking about flagship, 5 million * $600 = $3000000000 in revenue in ONE MONTH, one such device alone would end Nokia struggles and allow them to reinvest everything to innovation that would benefit the consumers

There has been no documentation they have sold 5 million units. They also could not tell anyone within a month how many they sold - the best they could do is say how many they shipped. There is a huge difference. Such comments also need to be taken with a boulder of salt when made by supposed anonymous executives to a fan site. If you really take this stuff seriously, I have a bridge you may be interested in buying. BTW, even if there was some magical logic and they sold 5 million units and each really cost $600 (which is based upon flawed logic for actual sales and unit price), you really should go take a business or accounting course and get an understanding of the difference between revenue and profit....

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So wait let me get my math right.

Nokia's brand recognition with Windows Phone and their gaining marketshare could be better if they go into the sea of Android?

So HTC selling 5 million of the One's when they've FAILED at the HTC First and the under selling One X, V, S, and other lines is considered a win?? Their recent Droid lines weren't significantly stellar either.

But Nokia selling out of the 520 INSTANTLY when it was available on Walmart's site, appealing to an untapped market (prepaid and low cost smartphone users), AND gaining traction in marketshare is a fail?

Nokia is basically SAVING Windows Phone and is bringing ALL NEW MAINSTREAM APPS to the operating system SINGLEHANDEDLY. Where do you hear of HTC and Samsung doing this? They're NOT. So what can Nokia do on Android to make them stand out that's different from Windows Phone, and still remain relevant? I think they are FINE where they are, and instead of worrying about Nokia's "well-being", you should focus on your own, because believe me, they'll be fine with or without your help.

Thanks

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do not see Nokia being successful as an Android OEM. The Android market = the Samsung market, as demonstrated by what's happened to HTC over the past few years.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Samsung doesn't equal Android. Samsung equals the whole cell phone market. Samsung is dominating every facet of the phone market right now.

If you look at their financials and look at the market segments, and if Windows Phone was a hot seller, Samsung would dominate Windows Phone too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)