5 million HTC One sales

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you can't handle the content in this thread don't post in it. This is the Phone WARS part of the forum expect controversy. Everyone in this thread has there bias is fighting to prove a point that can't be proven. The facts and figures simply are not available. Make your point in a civil manned and be a pro or from this point on I will be handing out infarctions for personal attacks. Those will go to everyone involved not just the person who starts the fight. You have been warned.

[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)​

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behaviour from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Pitifully weak argument. HTC is losing multiple key executives, one of which publicly called for other employees to ditch the company.
But you can compare a company who's gone from a declining Symbian to trying to establish a new platform with a company who was the poster child of Android?

HTC has been doing something with the most popular smartphone platform in the past 3 years that has left it vying for a split of the 5% Android profit share left in the wake of Samsung. I love it how Google fans are so quick to crap on HTC in an attempt to hide how Android is out of control. Keep up the wishful thinking while manufacturers are actually suffering. This is something we did not see with the PC industry.
1- you don't know the reason why they're leaving. let's leave speculation out of this. people leave for a lot of reasons. And don't forget HTC makes Windows Phones too so that OS is also responsible for their demise.
2-I'm comparing two companies with their heydays behind them. Simple as that. Let's not go into semantics.
3- How much profit has HTC made from it's Windows Phones again?

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
No I don't catch your drift. While this is a phone forum what you are saying is nonsense. Lexus are built in entirely different factories from Toyota, with different quality standards by different people, using different engines. They have different designers and different marketers. They also have much more standards equipment and more technology available. In That case an Audi is a Skoda with four rings on the bonnet.

different quality standards? Different engines? Its the exact same frame, exact same motors, just different logos. I see Lexus marketing and allure has worked on you.

Pick any Toyota and it will have matching Lexus. No way around that.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
1- you don't know the reason why they're leaving. let's leave speculation out of this. people leave for a lot of reasons. And don't forget HTC makes Windows Phones too so that OS is also responsible for their demise.
2-I'm comparing two companies with their heydays behind them. Simple as that. Let's not go into semantics.
3- How much profit has HTC made from it's Windows Phones again?

1) You say don't speculate then you follow that with speculation of your own.

2) More speculation, none of these companies are closing. Who can say if they have had their heyday.

3) Profit is profit right? Who is to say where tomorrows money will come from.

You should start to see where some might find your comments bias or one directional. If you ask from proof provided some if you ask people not to speculate than don't speculate its that simple.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
1) You say don't speculate then you follow that with speculation of your own.

2) More speculation, none of these companies are closing. Who can say if they have had their heyday.

3) Profit is profit right? Who is to say where tomorrows money will come from.

You should start to see where some might find your comments bias or one directional. If you ask from proof provided some if you ask people not to speculate than don't speculate its that simple.
1 - I'm not. Everything I've said in this thread is backed up. Nokia's sales figures have been shown here. I've shown how LG is growing under Android.
2 - Nokia was the biggest cellphone manufacturer in the world with close to 50% market share. I think it's safe to say they're well past their prime, for now.
3 - You tell me, how much has HTC earned from Windows Phones? How much has it helped them? That was my question. People here love to blame Android for HTC's problems, conveniently forgetting they make quite a few Windows Phones.

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Amar Mallik ,

Have been reading your posts since morning. Few quick points (rather my views)

HTC & Windows Phone

A phone doesn't sell just because you make it. HTC windows phones are beautiful. But I don't think they dedicated much resources towards them. I have rarely (actually never) seen an HTC WP advertisement.

Take my example , I wanted a flagship phone. I was amazed by the HTC 8X . It looked amazing and the beats audio was a deal breaker. But I knew Nokia was doing lot more in WP space than HTC. App selection was far better , even OS updates come first from NOKIA. I ended up buying Lumia 920 (and am super happy)

So WP like any other OS is not Jesus Christ who can save a company. A company needs to dedicate its resources , marketing innovation to support it. HTC didn't do as much required for Windows Phone. So it would be unfair to expect WP be the lone savior for HTC.

They did however do a good job with Android launching some amazing phones , marketing etc.

Android & Nokia

Let's leave that decision to Elop and his team :) But what I feel is:

1) Software has become one of the key differentiator that influences consumer behavior
2) If Nokia does go for Android. It has to develop apps , a new UI etc or some sort of key differentiation to win over people from the Samsung etc.
3) I doubt Nokia would have that much resource / time to explore that avenue

One thing am sure , folks at Nokia must have explored this choice when there platform was burning. Let's hope they keep revisiting their strategy and keep improvising

Generally speaking:

Hey ! No one denies Android is an ultra popular OS. You love Android , keep doing it. We people here love WP. WP is growing and has not met with stagnancy. That is good enough. Of course MS needs to do a lil more , but frankly as Lumia 920 user , I really love the phone and yes I am an Android migrant

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
1 - I'm not. Everything I've said in this thread is backed up. Nokia's sales figures have been shown here. I've shown how LG is growing under Android.
2 - Nokia was the biggest cellphone manufacturer in the world with close to 50% market share. I think it's safe to say they're well past their prime, for now.
3 - You tell me, how much has HTC earned from Windows Phones? How much has it helped them? That was my question. People here love to blame Android for HTC's problems, conveniently forgetting they make quite a few Windows Phones.

1) I must be misunderstanding something. Where in this thread did you prove that Windows Phone contributed to the demise of HTC?
2) "for now" The key words, everything else you say is just speculation.
3) I would say that if Windows Phone is turning a profit then it is helping keep HTC going not contributing to is downfall. The mere premise is contradictory.

Last edited:

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Just shows you that a company that releases a high end Android AND CAN'T COMPETE AGAINST SAMSUNG IN TERMS OF MARKETING BUDGET will still sell while Nokai barely sold 5 million in 3 months having dozens of Lumia phones in the market.

'Around 5 million' HTC One phones sold since launch | The Verge

It took HTC only a month.

Nokia should switch to Android for their high end phones and produce WP low ends.

We are talking about flagship, 5 million * $600 = $3000000000 in revenue in ONE MONTH, one such device alone would end Nokia struggles and allow them to reinvest everything to innovation that would benefit the consumers

Here are the problems with your statements.

1. Android is a well established OS, it's older than WP. So there is 0 reason to compare sales right now.

2. Perhaps you missed the fact where WP is growing faster than iOS and Android combined when they were in their early stages.

3. You cannot multiply $600 by 5million. This is not how it works. Carriers pay the OEMs a lot less because they buy in huge bulks. While you pay $600 for unlocked, carriers pay pennies for each device. When you buy from carrier, that $600 goes to carrier, NOT the OEM. Also, it would be foolish to multiply 5million by $600 because majority of phones are sold on contracts, meaning even less revenue.

4. Even with all HTC's success, Nokia still sells a lot more devices than HTC worldwide.

5. WP will get to where Android is now, eventually. You know why? Because over time Android marketshare will fall and it will fall dramatically. Think of Apple, they had the market in their hand with the iPhone, but now it's less than 20%. By the end of 2014, it is predicted that iPhone marketshare will drop into single digits. Same will happen to Android eventually. And once WP takes off, same will happen to WP over time, when a new OS arrives. And a new OS will arrive, it's foolish to think otherwise.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
@erzhik sorry but anyone who is thinking objectively and bases their opinions on factual evidence, can only agree with your point number 4.

Android has the marker because of each device ability to be unique, and run all the apps. All devices can perform differently but yet still have the same apps. OEMs can give people what they want and not have to worry about a app ecosystem. Carriers and shops can carry a ton of uniquely different Android devices.

Apple still ships a record number of iPhones. Their numbers just don't meet analyst estimations, sort of like Microsoft on Windows 8 installations.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Is that a knock on perceived bland styling and poor driving dynamics of the Lexus brand or the perceived cheap quality of Ford?

Have you been paying attention to Lexus lately?

2014 Lexus IS 350 F Sport First Drive - Motor Trend
2013 BMW 328i M Sport vs. 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Premium vs. 2014 Lexus IS 250 F Sport on Edmunds.com
Lexus IS 350 F SPORT, BMW 335i M SPORT & Cadillac ATS - Imgur
Six-Cylinder Midsize Luxury Sedan Comparison - Audi A6, BMW 535i, Lexus GS 350, Infiniti M37 - Motor Trend

Ford Quality Perception:
Honda, Lexus Are Tops In Perceived Quality; Ford, Hyundai Improve

different quality standards? Different engines? Its the exact same frame, exact same motors, just different logos. I see Lexus marketing and allure has worked on you.

Pick any Toyota and it will have matching Lexus. No way around that.

Any Toyota? You sure? How about these?

• Toyota Corolla
  • Toyota Prius
  • Toyota Avalon
  • Toyota 86 (GT86 in Europe, Scion FR-S in the States)
  • Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Toyota Tacoma
  • Toyota Tundra

How about the reverse?
  • Lexus IS
  • Lexus GS
  • Lexus LS
  • Lexus RX

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
End of the day exact same frames and motors minus the specialties.

Lexus IS is a Camry. Avalon is a LS. That's common knowledge but carry on.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
HTC, Motorola, and LG are great examples of how Android is helping the profits of those companies...

Oh wait no, the mobile divisions of those companies aren't doing so hot are they? HTC is in on the road to oblivion if they don't turn things around drastically, Motorola is being propped up by Google's deep pockets and LG phones are barely heard of these days.

Plopping Android on to a Nokia phone doesn't guarantee success for Nokia, especially in a market that is dominated by Samsung. The whole notion of Android being better for Nokia is just propagated by Android fanboys who want to get their hands on Nokia's superior hardware but can't at the moment.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
HTC, Motorola, and LG are great examples of how Android is helping the profits of those companies...

Oh wait no, the mobile divisions of those companies aren't doing so hot are they? HTC is in on the road to oblivion if they don't turn things around drastically, Motorola is being propped up by Google's deep pockets and LG phones are barely heard of these days.

Plopping Android on to a Nokia phone doesn't guarantee success for Nokia, especially in a market that is dominated by Samsung. The whole notion of Android being better for Nokia is just propagated by Android fanboys who want to get their hands on Nokia's superior hardware but can't at the moment.
I dont know what you're talking about. LG is doing pretty well.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I dont know what you're talking about. LG is doing pretty well.

I would say only because of the Nexus 4, and maybe the Optimus G Pro (I don't know much about that phone or it's sales). I've never really liked LG phones. Ever since Android, I never felt like LG made a great phone. What always pops up in my mind was the LG G2x on T-Mobile. I heard it was incredibly buggy. The only LG phone I'd ever buy would be that Nexus.

Nope. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know they're not the exact same. The Lexus IS has it's own platform, AND it's a compact RWD sports-luxury sedan. The Toyota Camry is a FWD mid-size family car. The Camry is actually more related to the Lexus ES, their midsize luxury sedan. Both of those are FWD, and I believe they share the same V6. So there is some truth to your statement, but not all are the exact same. Interestingly enough, I'd say the Avalon competes with the Lexus ES, because they're both supposed to be larger FWD comfy luxury cars. However, in the latest refresh of the Avalon, Toyota actually made it somewhat sporty and I believe the ride firmer. It's still no sports sedan though.

With the Lexus LS, it also has it's own platform. It's a full-size luxury sedan like the Avalon, but it's not the same. The LS is RWD, unlike the Avalon's FWD. The LS has a V8, where can I get that in the Avalon? Not to mention that would probably be a bad idea--you'd get massive torque steer and understeer.

You've also conveniently left out the models which you couldn't find matches for.

Does Nokia even have enough money to add Android to their portfolio? Let's say Nokia does spend most of their remaining cash creating their Android phone, but it fails. Then they're really screwed, may have to declare bankruptcy, or may be snatched up by a competitor. Plus, should Nokia devote some of their resources to Android? Their HERE Drive+ is still in beta. If they made an Android phone, they'd have to develop Android apps probably meaning that Windows Phone apps and firmware updates will come out slower because now they have to devote some of their resources to Android.

The only problem is that we might never see a Google friendly Windows Phone.

Why is that? I believe if Windows Phone gains enough users, Google won't be able to ignore it like they do currently. Unless you're saying that Windows Phone will never hit double digit marketshare and Microsoft should just give up now.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
For Windows Phone to hit double digits either iOS or Android has to drop significantly in market share. Right now Android is propelling and iOS is going steady. Something drastic has to happen for WP to hit double digits in the next few years.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
For Windows Phone to hit double digits either iOS or Android has to drop significantly in market share. Right now Android is propelling and iOS is going steady. Something drastic has to happen for WP to hit double digits in the next few years.

Well that's pretty obvious, but if Windows Phone grows at a faster pace than Android and/or iOS, then Windows Phone will gain marketshare and Android and iOS will lose marketshare.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Its quite obvious you do not know what you are one about. If we all thought like that then an Audi is a Skoda with 4 rings on the bonnet. Has a Camry got a 5 litre V8 hybrid system ? No. They are not exactly the same motors. They share one or two but most of the Lexus range have entirely different engines. Read into something a bit more and do some research before sharing false information, as there are people out there who DO know what they are talking about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney