"Google Maps" app. Is it HERE Maps with Google Maps POIs?

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/google-maps/b1249c56-ac0f-4bc7-ad6d-d980a3927148

App is Google Maps by Live Maps.

1) Description says OFFLINE Maps.

2) Screenshots look like Nokia HERE Maps.

3) It provides Google+ reviews inside the app.

Q) Is it like it uses downloaded NOKIA HERE Maps and shows Google POIs???

I don't have Windows Phone. Anyone with a WP please confirm what this app does.

UPDATE: One review says this " Excellent app. One that i have been looking for. Searching with google and then using nokia drive to navigate.."

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If thats true then is a pretty nifty app! A dream combo, combine both the detail search and pleasing nav app!

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, this has a mode where it can display Google maps. The best thing is it integrates both Google and Nokia maps into one application pulling data from both. Brilliant. I did a check by searching for a place that doesn't exist in Nokia maps and sure enough it was able to find it. Did a reverse search on a place which is updated in Google maps but not in Nokia maps which is still showing old data and sure as hell it pulls up the info from Nokia maps, proving that its searching both Nokia and Google data like the developer claims.

This is definitely much better than the ubiquitous gmaps which is plain messy with way too much info on the main screen with no means to turn it off.

This app is not perfect, it needs a bit of polish (Google maps renders initially under satellite view and then switches to maps mode and there is no way to turn off this behavior to save data or render faster), but even in its current form, easily the best maps in any platform. This one is all I ever wanted. I do not make recommendations lightly, but this one earns its 5 stars.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that there is "Here Maps" embossed on the bottom left corner of the maps. I don't think Google maps is officially from Google. One thing I like to look at before leaving work is the traffic conditions. The Google maps app does not show the same conditions as if I look at the actual Google mobile webpage on IE on my 520. I am a little disappointed as it doesn't show some traffic accidents that did show up on either Google maps or my wife's iPhone 4 Apple maps.

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that there is "Here Maps" embossed on the bottom left corner of the maps. I don't think Google maps is officially from Google. One thing I like to look at before leaving work is the traffic conditions. The Google maps app does not show the same conditions as if I look at the actual Google mobile webpage on IE on my 520. I am a little disappointed as it doesn't show some traffic accidents that did show up on either Google maps or my wife's iPhone 4 Apple maps.
Of course its NOT from Google.

Its by some Indie developer, and combines both Nokia maps and Google maps into one application. What I like it for is because it can use google maps to doa a serch and then quickly switch to Drive for offline navigation. Where I live Nokia maps is pretty outdated. BTW, the app keeps changing its name every now and then for some weird reason :|

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro