what's wrong with SKYPE owned by Microsoft?

mrESQ

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
first of all, Imma huge windows phone fan
the tiles r so lovely, I don't even wanna switch to iOS or Android at all.
BUT there is sth bothering me....

SKYPE!

SKYPE on PC, iOS and Android can receive and send files (photos, videos)
ubt on windows phone, the only thing it works is to text chat and video chat....
what's wrong with SKYPE owned by Microsoft????:cry:

P.S.
So do WHATSAPP and LINE
these two apps on windows phone can only receive videos and watch them, BUT u can't save the files at all. :angry::angry::angry:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
iOS, Android, and even Mac (yep, desktop OS) can all send recorded voice messages to someone while they're offline via Skype... like voicemail. But no Microsoft-developed OS can do this.

Adding insult to injury, I'm also fairly sure these features were added well after the Skype acquisition. Ridiculous.

mrESQ

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say this and I really don't wanna switch to Android....BUT Microsoft n Windows Phone r keep pushing me away.... so many useful apps don't come to Windows Phone and even its own product SKYPE r so crappy.... but i just cannot leave tiles and windows phone's UI....

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say this and I really don't wanna switch to Android....BUT Microsoft n Windows Phone r keep pushing me away.... so many useful apps don't come to Windows Phone and even its own product SKYPE r so crappy.... but i just cannot leave tiles and windows phone's UI....
I know what will make you feel better...do some research on how well Microsoft supported windows phone, and how many popular apps came consecutively about a year and a half ago and compare it to like ever since 5 months ago, right away you will see both Microsoft helping windows phone and popular apps coming have improved so much since back in the day

mrESQ

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I know what will make you feel better...do some research on how well Microsoft supported windows phone, and how many popular apps came consecutively about a year and a half ago and compare it to like ever since 5 months ago, right away you will see both Microsoft helping windows phone and popular apps coming have improved so much since back in the day

what about its own product SKYPE.... it has been released for a while, but till now, still can't compete with SKYPE on other OS

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
what about its own product SKYPE.... it has been released for a while, but till now, still can't compete with SKYPE on other OS

And?

Skype was doing absolutely nothing with WP, until taken over. Yet their iOS/Android/Windows offerings are having huge battles to remain the top application.

As such, when Microsoft fully took over, they won't have taken staff off the key projects to work on WP, they'll have hired new developers, it takes time to learn about Skypes technologies, it takes time to learn about developing for WP. The Skype app is progressively getting better, and is at last useable. Its only a matter of time until it catches up to the competition. At which point we'll start being the ones who get new features first.

Lets not forget, Blackberry (as mentioned previously on this thread), runs applications which are 99% Android applications, so its a piece of cake to make an app for Blackberry.

mrESQ

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Lets not forget, Blackberry (as mentioned previously on this thread), runs applications which are 99% Android applications, so its a piece of cake to make an app for Blackberry.

so that means making an app for windows phone is actually harder than making an app for Blackberry? If this is true, then I think I know why most of the developers aren't willing to make apps for windows phone, coz it's hard and it takes too much time

:-(

Vaibhav Chauhan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
In a way, for BB a dev mostly needs to port his app with very slight under the hood changes, WP doesn't run java apps, they have their own reasons, jvm being slow, laggy etc, WP apps are written mainly in C# or VB so even the simplest of apps need to be written from scratch for WP. plus the fact that APIs are very limited as compared to Android seems to turn off devs. I feel like WP8 is like Android 2.2 in terms of APIs available. It will improve but in how much time we dont know. MS made it future ready with shared kernel, code, directx 11 etc but somehow WP is still not ready for present.
so that means making an app for windows phone is actually harder than making an app for Blackberry? If this is true, then I think I know why most of the developers aren't willing to make apps for windows phone, coz it's hard and it takes too much time

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
And?

Lets talk about that "piece of cake" because believe me, that's some OLD cake. You would have to suspend reality and believe a return to 2.3 Gingerbread as well as pretend having an android packager can supplant an app developed for the platform. I've been there and it is really bad as the good stuff you might want to run on your blackberry will not run.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

It takes almost no time to port apps from android to blackberry BUT since 85% of the developers that do that they don't support the app a little more to clear out bugs, and that makes those apps suck on blackberry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb