Nokia Lumia 928 vs. Samsung Galaxy 4

jamsesh

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Well, I finally broke down and did it. I picked up a S4 yesterday from a guy on Craigslist. It was literally brand new in the box with the screen protector still on it and all of the accessories still wrapped. I got it for $440, so I just couldn't pass it up. They are going for around $600 on Swappa right now, so it's an easy flip at the very least.

But now that I have it, it's making my decision hard. While I have fallen in love with WP8, I have had a huge nightmare with defective 928's. Not to mention the S4 just has so many more features and flexibility. I'm not saying that's always a good thing, but there is no denying it.

I have two days left to return my 928, so the next day is crucial for me. I am split at the moment. I love aspects of both. I guess I need to see which has the more cons for me at the moment.

Thoughts?

For me everything comes down to cost/benefit. How did the cost of the lumia compare to the gs4? I would mentally compare the value of the functions that are important to you and try to eliminate my emotion of how I "felt" about each device (though to me the phone is a tool and not an accessory to show off... if you fall in the latter then you might heavily weight your emotional feel of each).

Of course no one can answer definitively, but that's how I would go about assessing each. I would also consider that you've gone through 7 or 8 POS lumias and how much more hassle (how much is your time worth) you're willing to put up with. My brother is on his second gs4. Returned his first because it rebooted itself all the time but he loves the second one.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I think this was a really good demo. The think that struck me was that every time the phones were just sitting there, the 928 is dynamic, the live tiles were DOING something. The S4, just kinda sat there. I'll give the S4 points for having the larger screen, but it's not THAT much larger. And at the beginning, when he was comparing the web pages, I thought the 928's rendition was more clear than the S4.
It was intereting to see the side-by-side comparison of the video.
As far as the pics, when he zoomed in on the one flower, no comparison whatsoever. The 928 looked like a SLR and the S4 looked like my old BB.

Ultimately, like he said, they are both GREAT devices. I don't think anyone will be disapponted no matter what they pick, unless you are looking for pictures in average to low light conditions.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Thoughts?

Here's my $.02. For 3 years I've been using Android devices and it's been a mixed bag experience. I started cause I didn't want an iPhone, so it was an easy choice. I've liked them quite a bit for many reasons - flexibility, customization, freedom to 'tinker', and the integration with Google services. However, as time went on, I always ended up disappointed. I had my Droid Incredible for two years and it was laggy, battery didn't last for sh*t, and just a pain to use by the end. I'd be flashing a new ROM every week cause some new essential feature would break. Mind you, it wasn't like that all the time, but it happened.

Then I got the Galaxy Nexus cause I assumed Nexus device = stock Google = great experience without the NEED to root. I always preferred vanilla Android anyway. So it was great for a while, and slowly the same problems started appearing.... Crappy battery, lag on what was once a quick (and still should have been) processor, etc. Then one day I stopped being able to answer phone calls. Yup. Never. So I rooted my 'pure Android experience' handset so I could recover some basic functionality. I loved the phone, then it started to let me down and now I can't wait til the next upgrade on my account is up so I can do something else.

There's a whole lot I LOVE about Android, but I can't help but feel like the mistreated boyfriend who keeps going back to the hot girlfriend even though she's a b*** and will continue to break his heart, just because he hopes someday she'll change. I don't want to experience that disappointment again, and sadly, I'm not sure if I trust that I won't experience it if I go with Android. It just feels foolish to return to an experience that's been a mixed bag for me.

So I'm at a crossroads and while I love the HTC One and using the S4 was great, I think I'm going with either an iPhone 5 or Lumia 928. I just want a smooth, consistent experience that I can trust and that hopefully will ACTUALLY last me the two years I'd like it to.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wobblin30

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? Wow, i sold my S3 for a L920 because the TouchWiz caused all kinds of latency/lag issues with the phone...and its not like you can kill the processes, the phone is pretty much dead (ive tried many times to work around it).

When I saw my bosses S4, i thought it looked to run smoother than my old S3...but then again he had it for only 2 days at that moment.

For me, my old S3 ran better than the S4 I have now. Certainly, results are subjective based on the user and how they use the device.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
For me, my old S3 ran better than the S4 I have now. Certainly, results are subjective based on the user and how they use the device.

wow...thats just odd...youve got to admit. The more powerful, new updated version runs worse....must be annoying.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Both r excellent devices. Choosing either is a very personal choice..
Looks, built, camera, touch, speakers, recording are better with Windows phone..
Stores can be an issue if you love downloading loads of apps or some niche apps...
Both give customization but in Windows phone is beautiful n more personal..
Look at a bigger picture...Windows phone 8.1 is round the corner which should fix the notification, control panel and multitask issues...with these addons the UI becomes comparable, with superior hardware, camera and integration across windows tablets n PC's, windows phone becomes a serious game changer..
If newly added gimmicks r imp to you then go for S4..

It is pure speculation that WP 8.1 is around the corner, just as it is speculation as to what features and fixes will be in the final build. While I would never buy an Android device ND the 928 probably has a better camera (for a phone), it absolutely does not otherwise offer superior hardware. It is also pure, arrogant, fanboyism to mention gimmicks with respect to any phone. First, all of the OSs from all of the manufacturers bring gimmicks to the table - WP8 is no different. Second, today's gimmicks are frequently tomorrow's standard features. Dismissing stuff as gimmickry cries out inferiority complex on the part of the person making the claim. .

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Both are excellent phones. However I just exchanged my S4 for my 928.

They both have similar camera quality, in my opinion the S4 edges out the 928 in daylight photos...but the 928 tramples it in low-light and audio/video quality.

The S4 feels much thinner, and lighter ... more pocket-able.
The 928 feels much sturdier in hand and it is difficult to keep in fitted pants with the tight corners. I usually carry to show it off anyways. ;)

928 has wireless charging built in. I am leaving work with 100% charge every day, because I just place it on charger. It's hassle free.
S4 requires a 100 dollar kit to use wireless charging.

Windows Phone and Android both have their perks. Android is great if use a lot of apps, the "latest and greatest" games, and like to have a ton of control over your phone. WP8 is just beautiful, smooth, and has a lot of popular services built right in.

I mostly use Facebook, Linked In, and Instagram. 2 of those are built right into Windows phone! Instagram now has wonderful third party apps, like instance that do the trick.

...You've got a tough decision ahead of you, but either way I am sure you'll be happy.

No offense but the 928 is not that large. If it is difficult to fit in fitted pants, a person must be wearing spandex.

Last edited:

duckdow

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
i say the Nokia lumia 928. it has an 8.7 mega pixel camera and the s4 has an 8.0 mega pixel camera. the 928 has a bigger flash, image stabilization and very very very good low light. go for the windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium