Waze WP app likely dead project now

petteriusa

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This may well eventually happen, but the developers at Waze have said on the record that for now the project is going along as planned.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, the purchase agreement was negotiated so Waze would remain as a separate entity from Google to remain device "agnostic" (meaning there would be no preferential treatment for Android or any other platforms). Or so I've read, hoping that is the case.

But I thought the built-in Bing maps app (and Nokia HERE Maps) used some of the Waze data for the traffic overlay already. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
yeah, but while I was all excited for the app before, I don't want to use it now because I don't want to give Google any data. I wish Facebook had bought it.

I'm the opposite I'd actually prefer to have an app send all my usage data to Google to have better personalized results on their services

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm the opposite I'd actually prefer to have an app send all my usage data to Google to have better personalized results on their services

I used to be a big Google user: Gmail, Voice, Maps, Search, Android, Google Docs, Google Drive, Chrome, YouTube etc. But I really dislike what they've become as a company and have slowly been switching away from them: Outlook, quit Voice, Bing Maps, Bing Search, Windows Phone and RT, Office, Skydrive, Internet Explorer, Bing Videos (although, many of them link to YouTube), etc. I am actually quite surprised at how easy it was to switch and, actually, I now find all of those services by Microsoft to be better than their Google counterparts (except for Google Maps, which is admittedly still better, but Bing Maps is still fairly good, and no good substitute for YouTube). Anyway, I'm done with Google and I feel great about it. There crappy Android OS, for cell phones and tablets, needs to die. It's just awful and it's ruining the industry.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I used to be a big Google user: Gmail, Voice, Maps, Search, Android, Google Docs, Google Drive, Chrome, YouTube etc. But I really dislike what they've become as a company and have slowly been switching away from them: Outlook, quit Voice, Bing Maps, Bing Search, Windows Phone and RT, Office, Skydrive, Internet Explorer, Bing Videos (although, many of them link to YouTube), etc. I am actually quite surprised at how easy it was to switch and, actually, I now find all of those services by Microsoft to be better than their Google counterparts (except for Google Maps, which is admittedly still better, but Bing Maps is still fairly good, and no good substitute for YouTube). Anyway, I'm done with Google and I feel great about it. There crappy Android OS, for cell phones and tablets, needs to die. It's just awful and it's ruining the industry.
I'm still a strong supporter of Google since they're at the forefront of a lot of technologies, mainly with Maps, News, Advertising, Search, and Google Now. The latter being one of the biggest reasons because although we might not be seeing it on WP anytime soon, evidence suggests that it will be coming to Chrome still, which I still do most of my browsing on and also is arguably the best browser out there. The fact that Google has been collecting my usage data for 10+ years since opening a Gmail account with them means that they know a lot about me, and to be quite honest it shows when I'm using their services-- it's almost eerie sometimes how it's like my mind is being read.

Another thing, as much as we like to loathe Android it's still a very solid system by design and it also happens to be the only truly open platform out there which it has only benefitted from. It may run into performance issues easily but that's just testament to how powerful of an OS it really is. Having been out for so long also means it has a robust library of quality apps, with it's own being some of the best out there and constantly raising the bar for it's competitors. You can't sit here and tell me that the native mail app on WP8 is better than Gmail, which boasts tagging and archiving support and is also directly linked to services like Google+, YouTube, and Hangouts. As much as I enjoy WP and find it as a breath of refreshing air, Android is still a great platform in comparison and the numbers aren't really lying with this one.

Waze just means yet another useful feature I'll be missing out on on the best free mobile navigation software there is, which I can live without but where's my Books? Where's my cloud music library? Where's my magazine and movie library? Where's my NFC payments? We have alternatives out there but I find in most cases that a lot of these things are still missing. You can downplay and paint Google an evil corporation all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that they're host to a ecosystem of incredible services that are only getting better with time and that I enjoy being a part of. Until my excitement with this company subsides, I'll be insisting that they track my usage and personal data and even regret when things like this post I'm typing isn't being included somehow.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte