Making apps for WP8

WV5

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested to code app(s) for WP8 but I'm a firsttimer and don't know anything about coding, though I have made some simple games on Game Maker 8 (I know lol :D) and I need some advice from those who have made apps, and why not others.

So how hard is it to make apps if I have only made simple GM games? Does it take long to learn basics?

And you code apps with Silverlight etc., right?

//thanks for answering, and I DO have w8 64bit PC Fujitsu NH532<3<3 :D

Last edited:

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I was going to start making apps but I've been too busy with masters program. Silverlight/.net is the framework. You need windows 8 (64 bit) in order to install wp8 SDK for visual studio 2013.

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like I know less about programming than WV5, but I thought silverlight was on the way out? WP8 and Windows 8 can use the same program language correct?

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I was going to start making apps but I've been too busy with masters program. Silverlight/.net is the framework. You need windows 8 (64 bit) in order to install wp8 SDK for visual studio 2013.

I'm a full-time S/W engineer, and I was going to start coding a WP8 app until I found out that you can't develop on a Windows 7 machine. Sorry, I ain't buying an upgrade just for that. (FWIW, I think Windows 8 is flat awful. I'll never use that interface for a desktop environment.)

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like I know less about programming than WV5, but I thought silverlight was on the way out? WP8 and Windows 8 can use the same program language correct?

If you are talking about programming language than yes, you would use c# and xaml. But that doesnt mean if you write a code for wp8 it will run in w8. but supposedly its easier to port from and to w8 & wp8 (and vice versa) than any other os.

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm a full-time S/W engineer, and I was going to start coding a WP8 app until I found out that you can't develop on a Windows 7 machine. Sorry, I ain't buying an upgrade just for that. (FWIW, I think Windows 8 is flat awful. I'll never use that interface for a desktop environment.)

I would have to disagree with you but I respect your opinion. As an engineer myself (not CE or cs) I love getting my hands on the newest things and trying them out. And what I have found is that W8 is simply better than w7 and when I use older windows operating systems now they just feel like they are. I believe 8.1 should have been the w8 they should have initially released as it seems more user friendly for those who are reluctant to change. I know the saying if its not broken why fix it, and many companies hold that to their heart. But those who don't are more likely to innovate and create exciting new things. And this is what Microsoft is on the verge of in my opinion...is w8 perfect no, but its getting there.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com

Thing is, W7 apps work on W8, so you can still create apps for W8 that run in Desktop mode (which is what you seem to prefer anyway).

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
It takes pretty long time to learn the basics, buy when you're there it's really fun! I learned the basics from a video series at channel9. Ot goes through the basics in coding for wp7 for absolute beginners, like you. I know that it is pretty old and for wp7, and not 8, but it's the same language, so if you can code for wp7, then you can code for wp8 ;) If you are interested I can post a link to it here :)

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd be interested if you have the link. I've kind of looked around for it but wasn't confident I was looking at the same thing you are talking about. Thanks!

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

That is a petty reason you give there, If you don't like windows 8 fine, install it in a Virtual machine and get on with it.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has made it pretty easy for the developers to develop on windows phone. HOwever it is the support which is lacking. Whenever you post a question regarding development you don't get a reply for a long time. You need basic software knowledge of the terms in a programming Language to pick up speed quickly.

I was able to develop my three apps in a month and I saw the state of xkcd apps in WP store, got irritated and developed one in 3 days and I am not a great coder. Just an average coder who wants to design good apps. So if you think my apps are ok'ish' in design and features, trust me you can do it much better with a little effort.

You can check out my long rant in the developer's corner forums. It is still up there,

Windows phone is all about detail, detail and design. (that's 2 details) If you make great apps ppl will go for it.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested to code app(s) for WP8 but I'm a firsttimer and don't know anything about coding, though I have made some simple games on Game Maker 8 (I know lol :D) and I need some advice from those who have made apps, and why not others.

So how hard is it to make apps if I have only made simple GM games? Does it take long to learn basics?

And you code apps with Silverlight etc., right?

//thanks for answering, and I DO have w8 64bit PC Fujitsu NH532<3<3 :D

Here is a forum thread guiding a first time developer in case you are interested. There isn't any place better than wpcentral for windows phone related stuff

http://forums.windowscentral.com/developers-corner/227941-first-time-developer.html

WV5

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Doublepost, I know, but I read the article about Microsoft lowering Dev Center prize to $19, but is that only alternative? It just makes app-making easier, you can publish apps for free without the Dev Center, right?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Doublepost, I know, but I read the article about Microsoft lowering Dev Center prize to $19, but is that only alternative? It just makes app-making easier, you can publish apps for free without the Dev Center, right?

You need to be a registered developer to publish apps in the store. You can have the SDK and materials for free. 19$ is a bargain if you ask me.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

No, you cant publish apps for free without the dev centre, you will need it both to publish and to test your apps on your phone.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
You need to be a registered developer to publish apps in the store. You can have the SDK and materials for free. 19$ is a bargain if you ask me.

No, you cant publish apps for free without the dev centre, you will need it both to publish and to test your apps on your phone.

Oh, we must have posted at the exact same time, because your post showed up the second that I pressed post reply :winktongue:

WV5

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hmh, I think that's the end of my dev story then. :/ I know, 19$ isn't much, I can afford that, but still, I wasn't going to pay. Glad there are many great devs making good games for WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett