How is Android the most popular mobile OS ? Honestly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Android has a few things going for it, its more open and easier to get apps for. However, most apps I've used just dont compare to the apps on WP. I wish more people realized this.

Not counting app features ( that's on the devs) but multiplatform apps just seem so much smoother, nicer overall on WP. I have am Android and WP. I'll use the WP version of an app over the Android version any day.

Not sure why people like the look and feel of the Android OS either. Not very smooth nor pleasing to the eye.

In all reality, I believe despite its few flaws and missings, WP is am awesome OS. I wish more people would give it a try. I can't say much for the iPhone since I've never used it, but WP is hands down better than Android. Too bad there are just too many sheep in our world to see it

Aesthetically, windows phone is much better than android. I personally cannot stand the sight of stock android. I have nova launcher and an icon theme on now. As a more powerful, being able to do more Android is far superior. Can you download an app off of a website and side load it? Can you move pictures music or apps from the internal storage to the SD card? Hell, Blackberry 10 can do exactly what I just described. That's the only real powerful is besides android. IOS has gone all someplace I damn sure can't follow. Windows phone is just more simpler and not for the power. It is to me a better alternative to an iPhone. If only it had some of the major apps of that platform.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jaafar Jabbar

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Android has ONE thing that I dearly miss on my Windows Phone, customization options.

I felt for ANY thing I found lacking, an app was SURE to be found that filled in the gap.

For eg I could put lock on SMS's etc..Change the look and feel for my Droid in an instant. At times I feel frustrated cause I am SO limited in how much I can customize the Phone. One reason I've sticked to getting an android tablet.

Also had some amazing Alarm clock apps, unlike Wp's weird slot type input which just takes TOO much time :-/ Although Quickminder is an excellent app that filled in that hole :)

Yaada Yaada..Android IS a good OS, So is WP, although the latter has a bit of a way to go imo..

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Android has ONE thing that I dearly miss on my Windows Phone, customization options.

I felt for ANY thing I found lacking, an app was SURE to be found that filled in the gap.

For eg I could put lock on SMS's etc..Change the look and feel for my Droid in an instant. At times I feel frustrated cause I am SO limited in how much I can customize the Phone. One reason I've sticked to getting an android tablet.

Also had some amazing Alarm clock apps, unlike Wp's weird slot type input which just takes TOO much time :-/ Although Quickminder is an excellent app that filled in that hole :)

Yaada Yaada..Android IS a good OS, So is WP, although the latter has a bit of a way to go imo..

I agree completely with that end part. If window phone had the apps or maturity of android, I would have moves to windows phone a while ago.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
What is this 'maturity' that android has? The ONLY place I see it beating WP is in the marketplace and if that's all that matters then IOS is light years ahead of everyone.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So much wrong...

I've seen plenty of lag on my wife's S4. As a matter of fact, it's slow as heck. However, I've never seen any lag on my own iPhone 5. It's considerably faster than my Lumia (in that apps open faster etc). And the security thing on android is blown way out of proportion. If you enable third-party app installs and then download pr0n from Chinese website, yes - you're screwed. But that amounts to the same kind of stupidity as jailbreaking your iPhone and then installing stuff from China or side loading apps on a blackberry z10 from Russian servers. Have you ever met anyone who had an infected android device? I sure haven't.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I use this one. Remote Desktop | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Costs $1.99 but some of the others that use RDP to connect are much more expensive and the free ones have desktop software that has to be installed. The only problem I found with what I use is name resolution. At home it doesn't resolve the host name to an IP address but works fine at work.
I had a proper MS RDP client on my WM 6.5 phone in 2009. It's so sad what Microsoft's mobile platform has become for people actually trying to get work done.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Because Android is fun and entertaining and WP8 is boring. It is like Tim Duncan(straight to point effective player)/IOS/WP8 but boring and not flashy at all vs Kobe Bryant or Lebron James/Android. Sure they have their sketchy games like how Lebron almost choked against an ancient Duncan and some role player that somehow broke the finals 3 point record but at least they are flashy and exciting.

You WP8 fans can't see this but I was bored to tears with my Windows Phones 8x and Android is awesome. Yes it's not as smooth and fluid but it is smooth enough and pretty functional. Perhaps a better analogy is Grand Theft Auto and sandbox games versus more linear and boxed games. Sure Final Fantasy and 2D Contra is smooth and bug free but the 3D bug filled GTA and open ended RPGs like Elder Scrolls are just better because they are more fun, despite all the clipping, slowdown, and bugs that show up on the more ambitious games.

Android is more flashy and ambitious basically and thus more fun to use.

matfantastic

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I see alot of ****** crap in this thread but honestly at this point all three major mobile OS's are pretty great. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I chose windows phone but if someone sat down a nexus 4, iPhone 5, and Lumia 928 in front of me and said I could only have one...point is you can't go wrong no matter what you choose.

WV5

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Androids strengths against WP are customization and apps. Customization is not as limited as WP's. There are plenty of apps on android, and the big names usually come to android first. If you can't admit that WP needs more apps, then better stay in your 1100. When you get your Jetpack Joyride at last you say: Well, it's free, can't complain about the bugs. OF COURSE YOU CAN!! The same **** is free on android and 99% bug free! I mean, don't WP users want quality? And for the customization, we need the RGB to set our accent color or at least more colors, we need backgrounds to set on our tiles(skinery won't do the job good enough). Although you are a die hard WP fan, doesn't mean you have to stick with the at the time poor WP. Now to the goods of WP and bads of android; there are also lots of Trojans and viruses in the Google Play store, glad I'm using my colorful and well-designed L920. I'm letting it go only when better Lumia shows up.<3<3

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Because Android is fun and entertaining and WP8 is boring. It is like Tim Duncan(straight to point effective player)/IOS/WP8 but boring and not flashy at all vs Kobe Bryant or Lebron James/Android. Sure they have their sketchy games like how Lebron almost choked against an ancient Duncan and some role player that somehow broke the finals 3 point record but at least they are flashy and exciting.

You WP8 fans can't see this but I was bored to tears with my Windows Phones 8x and Android is awesome. Yes it's not as smooth and fluid but it is smooth enough and pretty functional. Perhaps a better analogy is Grand Theft Auto and sandbox games versus more linear and boxed games. Sure Final Fantasy and 2D Contra is smooth and bug free but the 3D bug filled GTA and open ended RPGs like Elder Scrolls are just better because they are more fun, despite all the clipping, slowdown, and bugs that show up on the more ambitious games.

You just said grand theft auto was better than final fantasy 2. I've never seen a better way to invalidate yourself.

If you want a bunch of unnecessary complication... Err... Customizations, go android. If you want a smooth, fluid experience that you can rely on that won't go awry and is generally aesthetically appealing, go windows phone.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend with a similar story. People think they're going to get an iPhone and are being lead by operators like lambs to the slaughter. Now people want to buy a Samsung and expect a Galaxy S4 experience from their Galaxy Ace.

Here is my friend's app list: Viber and Whatsapp! She is now getting a low memory warning and Viber is installed on a micro SD card.

LOTS of people on low-end Android devices are having an absolutely MISEARBLE time with thier smartphones.

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You just said grand theft auto was better than final fantasy 2. I've never seen a better way to invalidate yourself.

If you want a bunch of unnecessary complication... Err... Customizations, go android. If you want a smooth, fluid experience that you can rely on that won't go awry and is generally aesthetically appealing, go windows phone.

Thank you for not saying Fast. WP is slow! Everytime i multi-task i always stuck at Resuming... at least 5 second. Still people sayin' Windows Phone doesn't need high specs blah blah blah!!!

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for not saying Fast. WP is slow! Everytime i multi-task i always stuck at Resuming... at least 5 second. Still people sayin' Windows Phone doesn't need high specs blah blah blah!!!
Its because the developers ddon'tuse fast resuming feature. Try nextgen reader it resumes instantly!

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
If you call un-reliability exciting then android is definitely for you.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Because it is? Be honest, android users crave the reliability and smoothness windows phone users love and enjoy. It goes to show specs mean nothing if your running a horribly put together OS such as android. iOS is much better and iOS7 looks like its going to be very solid. You can put 100 cores clocked at 1000 Ghz and it will still lag on an android, you cant polish a turd, as someone put on here, which is right.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

If your windows phone is lagging or freezing then there is something actually wrong with the handset itself. That is not normal and don't put up with it. There was a thread made in WPCentral not long ago by a user raising a problem because his WP was laggy, turned out it was a faulty phone. If androidcentral had a thread for everyone saying their phone lagged, the website would be shut down.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for a really interesting thread.

I think there are historical reasons Android is popular today. When Apple released the iPhone, they created a desire for smart phones which years of Windows Mobile had not. With WM aimed largely at business and Apple only serving the high-end, this left an enormous and growing market wide open, so Google stepped in. This left HTC etc having to adopt Android, because WM was no match for iOS. Also, Android beng free to OEMs meant entering the Android game was cheap and easy, so Android basically had things its own way for about two years, before the release of WP.

With the release of Windows Phone that changed and explains why Android fanboys are so threatened. While iOS remains too expensive, Nokia are now offering the low end competition Android has lacked and the success of the 520/521 show that Android has an achillies heal.

I think WP will continue to grow and do so by gaining new smart phone users and by capturing disaffected low-end Android users. It will eat away at Android's share of the market most of all because that's where Android is weak: where most of those 800,000 apps don't actually work, where the hardware isn't powerful enough to support multi-tasking, where customisability and open OS means making a bloody mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb