How is Android the most popular mobile OS ? Honestly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well either my Xperia was defective or I'm imagining things but for a device which is considered the most powerful phone in the industry right now it really disappointed me.

Which Xperia has ever been described as being "the most powerful phone in the industry"? You must be referring to a Sony ad. None of the Xperias have ever been exceptionally fast or powerful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
MS talks about the Ecosystem a lot and the problem for Windows Phone going forward is people get invested in the Google ecosystem and it becomes very hard to switch. And for those people that want to switch (many people have feet in both camps - Microsoft and Google) it is hard because while there is support for the MS ecosystem (Outlook app, Skydrive app, Skype app) there is no support for Google in the MS ecosystem and as long as the MS market share in mobile remains low it is highly unlikely that MS can catch up - they are fighting from too far behind. The other apps that people miss are things like the USAA app (who says there aren't enough WP users in their customer to justify maintaining a WP app), tons of sports apps (Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, and also the St. Louis Cardinals) that might never see a WP app. Also, my banks and credit unions support Android/iOS - no WP. Android has over a billion users, iOS is over 1/2 Billion (or more), and WP is barely into the 10s of millions. This discussion reminds of WebOS (which I still miss, by the way) and the only reason WP is still around is because MS has deep pockets. All the hate towards Android isn't going to convince people to switch to WP and you can't make all the commercial businesses that support iOS/Android support WP unless WP gets to a reasonable market share - the old chicken and egg problem. At this point in time if somebody asks me about phones I will ask them about what they do on their phones and if it involves things like banking or sports then WP just doesn't make the cut. I am looking to try out a Lumia 521 because I love tech and would love to give WP a shot. I just know the support for things like Google Voice, GMail, and Google Drive is going to be limited or non-existent.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
everything requires 2 or 3 more steps than windows phone. Windows phone menus, fonts, text, animations throughout the entire phone are consistent to each other, they all match. That is not the case with android though.
That's a joke right? Right??? I can turn on WiFi/Bluetooth or pretty much any toggle with just ONE click on an Android phone. Every mundane task on Windows Phone takes a few extra steps than Android, even something as simple as dialling a number. Want to dial a number on Android? Press the dialler icon. Want to dial a number on Windows Phone? Press the phone tile, then press the very small dialler icon at the bottom.
It's one thing just not liking another OS but let's not start making stuff up to prove our points.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
That's a joke right? Right??? I can turn on WiFi/Bluetooth or pretty much any toggle with just ONE click on an Android phone. Every mundane task on Windows Phone takes a few extra steps than Android, even something as simple as dialling a number. Want to dial a number on Android? Press the dialler icon. Want to dial a number on Windows Phone? Press the phone tile, then press the very small dialler icon at the bottom.
It's one thing just not liking another OS but let's not start making stuff up to prove our points.

Okay I have a few cases in point.
The music player - In windows phone you press Music and Videos and you have access to music, music related apps and podcast. Also whats immediately in front of you is recent downloads and music history. You don't get that with android.
Camera - Self explanatory. Long press of the camera button and your there.
Games - I press XBOX Games and they are all there. I don't have to keep scrolling through menus to look through what I want.
Messaging - This was my biggest problem with it. Because the shift button is too big on androids keypad and the space bar is too small you have to make the choice between have full stops and commas, or non at all and a larger space bar, but having to press shift before entering one.
Maps - Google maps is horrible to use. To find a place, look at reviews, get directions is tedious and horrible.

What I have just said only applies to the Xperia Z because as we know, android is not consistent, which is bad. You cant pick up a HTC One and a Galaxy S3 or 4 and accept them to be the same in operation because they wont.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay I have a few cases in point.
The music player - In windows phone you press Music and Videos and you have access to music, music related apps and podcast. Also whats immediately in front of you is recent downloads and music history. You don't get that with android.
Camera - Self explanatory. Long press of the camera button and your there.
Games - I press XBOX Games and they are all there. I don't have to keep scrolling through menus to look through what I want.
Messaging - This was my biggest problem with it. Because the shift button is too big on androids keypad and the space bar is too small you have to make the choice between have full stops and commas, or non at all and a larger space bar, but having to press shift before entering one.
Maps - Google maps is horrible to use. To find a place, look at reviews, get directions is tedious and horrible.

What I have just said only applies to the Xperia Z because as we know, android is not consistent, which is bad. You cant pick up a HTC One and a Galaxy S3 or 4 and accept them to be the same in operation because they wont.
I haven't used Android in a while so I can't pin point exact apps here but EVERY SINGLE, and I mean EVERY SINGLE thing you said can be fixed on Android with a 3rd party app. See, the built in apps on Android are no different than a 3rd party app because a 3rd party app can gain full control over the system like any 1st party app. This is the single biggest advantage of Android and you're choosing to ignore it.
What happens if I don't like the messaging app on Windows Phone? Sorry, stuck with it. You can't have 3rd party SMS apps on Windows Phone. So go ahead and search a little. There are excellent 3rd party maps, messaging and camera apps for Android.

And the lack of consistency is GOOD. This means if I like Android but loathe TouchWiz, I can always buy an HTC and use their beautiful Sense UI. Or get a Sony and use their custom UI. Nokia went with Windows Phone because they complained they can't differentiate themselves on Android. Well how different is a Lumia phone compared to a HTC Windows Phone(not counting hardware)? None, no difference. They're 99.9% the same. The rest 0.1% is a bunch of exclusive apps.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't see what the big argument is. Apparently lots of people like android, including me. Both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't know that Windows Phone will ever approach the market share android has, but it has a solid foundation and with some relatively minor additions combined with the way new apps or coming to the platform it can be a solid hit.

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Im from Dominican Republic and for those who says Microsoft service sucks out of USA are wrong!, I've been a android, IOS, BBOS user and now WP8 user, the problem with android is to my concert for a best user experience you must owner a high end device or at list a Google version to get a huge experience using it, I'm a social guy so I decided Wp cause is more simple and useful for me, definitely android is awesome but full of bugs and you must have to depending of third party apps to running properly or rooted...

I prefer WP even it has less apps and less customization!

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I think the whole "Every Android device is laggy" in 2013 shows that you haven't picked up any Android device in awhile. Yes, it took them awhile to get "consistent", but performance is much better than it was 2 years ago. Do I get an occasional lag on my LG Optimus G? Yes, but I did as well on my Lumia 900 and my iPhone 5. Trust me, I used to be anti-Android for a long time, but I can admit that performance is MUCH better now

I agree that Android improved significantly with its 4.x versions relative to its 2.x versions; I've owned devices in each category. On the other hand, I have a "pure" Android smartphone that is a bit old but not super old (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) and a near pure Android tablet (Asus Transformer Pad TF300) and both, IMO, do not perform as well as my HTC Trophy (or either of the iPhones I've owned for that matter).

The gap in performance quality between Android OS and both WP OS and iOS has definitely shrunk in the last couple of years, but it is still there IMO.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree that Android improved significantly with its 4.x versions relative to its 2.x versions; I've owned devices in each category. On the other hand, I have a "pure" Android smartphone that is a bit old but not super old (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) and a near pure Android tablet (Asus Transformer Pad TF300) and both, IMO, do not perform as well as my HTC Trophy (or either of the iPhones I've owned for that matter).

The gap in performance quality between Android OS and both WP OS and iOS has definitely shrunk in the last couple of years, but it is still there IMO.

Still those two devices you have don't compare to the nexus 4 or 10 with 4.2.2.. Now that is a smooth experience.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Android is popular because plain and simply it does more than any other mobile OS and you can set it up exactly how you like.

Some things are missing from Windows phone 8, nothing is missing from android.

I like both operating systems for their strengths and weaknesses but Android once rooted can do anything!

Windows should allow a backdoor to Windows phones so that I can install more apps that they didn't approve yet.

Then I wouldn't have a need for android...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Android is popular because plain and simply it does more than any other mobile OS and you can set it up exactly how you like.

I like both operating systems for their strengths and weaknesses but Android once rooted can do anything!

Windows should allow a backdoor to Windows phones so that I can install more apps that they didn't approve yet.

I can name things android is missing!

Consistency, a smooth experience, a reasonable update structure, aesthetics... Etc.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I highly doubt that there are tech savvy people that make up the majority of Android's sales. If you go on every phone carrier's website, I guarantee you there will be a free to low cost android device available. Android is available at EVERY price point. Literally. I'm not saying that every customer makes their decision based on price, but that's one thing you can't overlook

Kevyn Degia

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt that there are tech savvy people that make up the majority of Android's sales. If you go on every phone carrier's website, I guarantee you there will be a free to low cost android device available. Android is available at EVERY price point. Literally. I'm not saying that every customer makes their decision based on price, but that's one thing you can't overlook
Android is also heavily promoted and subsidized by Carriers. Samsung has done a ttremendously good job in promoting their phone and tablets. Now even if you buy a laundry machine from Samsung, you get a phone too. Soon you'll find it even in the Tide detergent box.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I can name things android is missing!

Consistency, a smooth experience, a reasonable update structure, aesthetics... Etc.

Android is smooth, maybe not as smooth as Windows phone but it is smooth. I use it in my daily phone.

It does have aesthetics. You can get better aesthetics out of Android than any other phone because you can make it look however you want.

I can see consistency due to different flavors but I'm talking actual capabilities, features, functions, no mobile OS has more than Android.

But when you look at the highest selling Android phones what are they?

Htc one? Galaxy s III? Galaxy S4? Yes there are cheap Android phones (I as a phone salesman ALWAYS recommend against them!) but the big sellers are the high end.

Android is also heavily promoted and subsidized by Carriers. Samsung has done a ttremendously good job in promoting their phone and tablets. Now even if you buy a laundry machine from Samsung, you get a phone too. Soon you'll find it even in the Tide detergent box.

Android isn't subsidized any more than any other mobile OS. Android is given out for FREE, so anyone can take it, put it on its phones, and sell them without paying Google a dime!

Android is promoted because due to the fact that Verizon became the number one carrier even when att had exclusivity with the iphone. Android phones took root, the most popular at the time was the droid, then Verizon kept coming with new droids, then Galaxies, and various other Android brands and they sell very well!

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Android is smooth, maybe not as smooth as Windows phone but it is smooth. I use it in my daily phone.

It does have aesthetics. You can get better aesthetics out of Android than any other phone because you can make it look however you want.

I can see consistency due to different flavors but I'm talking actual capabilities, features, functions, no mobile OS has more than Android.

But when you look at the highest selling Android phones what are they?

Htc one? Galaxy s III? Galaxy S4? Yes there are cheap Android phones (I as a phone salesman ALWAYS recommend against them!) but the big sellers are the high end.

Android isn't subsidized any more than any other mobile OS. Android is given out for FREE, so anyone can take it, put it on its phones, and sell them without paying Google a dime!

Android is promoted because due to the fact that Verizon became the number one carrier even when att had exclusivity with the iphone. Android phones took root, the most popular at the time was the droid, then Verizon kept coming with new droids, then Galaxies, and various other Android brands and they sell very well!

Android is far from smooth, on every phone I've used aside from the One and the Nexus 4 it's a jittery unstable mess and I've used all of the high end stuff. Even on those two it's not hard to generate lag, just not readily apparent at all times.

Please, show me a launcher, a full UI replacement, a custom job, whatever that's comparable aesthetically to WP8.

Let's not forget why Android really succeeded, they grabbed the low end market in the U.S. when there was no real competition and had a UI similar enough to iOS that the broke people didn't feel too left out in the cold. Let's not try to make a polished turd more than it really is.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Android is far from smooth, on every phone I've used aside from the One and the Nexus 4 it's a jittery unstable mess and I've used all of the high end stuff. Even on those two it's not hard to generate lag, just not readily apparent at all times.

Please, show me a launcher, a full UI replacement, a custom job, whatever that's comparable aesthetically to WP8.

Let's not forget why Android really succeeded, they grabbed the low end market in the U.S. when there was no real competition and had a UI similar enough to iOS that the broke people didn't feel too left out in the cold. Let's not try to make a polished turd more than it really is.

Wow the android hate is strong within you.

I guess when you do better than all your competitors it's gonna come.

I have used a galaxy s 4 after the update and it's smooth, as is the note 2.

As is the Nexus 4.

And as far as aesthetically comparable to Windows, a galaxy s 4 or 3 with nova or apex launcher.

Done.

I'll put it like this, name 3 functions windows phone has that Android doesn't have available to it.

You can't?

Is because Android does everything windows phone does and more

Riley2521

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

A launcher that makes Android aesthetically identical to Windows Phone? It's called Windows Launcher, I've used it and it's pretty sweet.

IJS.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow the android hate is strong within you.

I guess when you do better than all your competitors it's gonna come.

I have used a galaxy s 4 after the update and it's smooth, as is the note 2.

As is the Nexus 4.

And as far as aesthetically comparable to Windows, a galaxy s 4 or 3 with nova or apex launcher.

Done.

I'll put it like this, name 3 functions windows phone has that Android doesn't have available to it.

You can't?

Is because Android does everything windows phone does and more

Office, Xbox Live integration, tons of Nokia stuff that other OSes simply don't have, there's tons. Name three
features android has that Windows Phone doesn't? I'm interested. I'm talking things that make the phone more functional to an average user, not menial garbage and bloat.

With your gs4, open up a nice wall of text site, scroll down and while scrolling hit home, severe lag. I don't have a note 2 but I assume it's the same. I don't consider the gs4 high end because it runs so poorly. I was truly disappointed as I spent 740 on the European version.

None of those launchers are even close and that apparent Windows Phone 8 fake launcher is a joke, nowhere close.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Office, Xbox Live integration, tons of Nokia stuff that other OSes simply don't have, there's tons. Name three
features android has that Windows Phone doesn't? I'm interested. I'm talking things that make the phone more functional to an average user, not menial garbage and bloat.

With your gs4, open up a nice wall of text site, scroll down and while scrolling hit home, severe lag. I don't have a note 2 but I assume it's the same. I don't consider the gs4 high end because it runs so poorly. I was truly disappointed as I spent 740 on the European version.

None of those launchers are even close and that apparent Windows Phone 8 fake launcher is a joke, nowhere close.

WiFi direct, VPN and a file manager are three things I can think of right off the bat that WP 8 doesn't have but Android does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb