Basic Podcast App

bdchambers79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
OK guys, I feel like I've tried a dozen podcast apps, and none of them even function correctly :/

I'm not looking for much from a podcatcher... just basic functionality.
* Remember my position within a podcast
* Play next podcast automatically after finishing another
* Delete the podcast upon finishing listening to it

Ideally, it would also
* Download podcasts automatically.

However, I'm willing to compromise on that last one, as long as it checks for new episodes when I open the app.

Seriously, is there even ONE app that does the above?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Which ones have you tried? Podcaster, Podcast Picker and Podcast Lounge were recommended in another thread.

bdchambers79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
So far I've tried Podcaster, Podcasts!, Podcast Lounge, Carbon Cast, and a few others I can't remember. None of them had the features I mentioned above... Am I being too picky? I honestly feel like those features are basic functionality for a podcast app.

I'm currently trying Podcast Picker based on your reply. So far it does not automatically play the next podcast. Other than that I'm liking it so far.

TallAssRob

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think podcast lounge has all the features you are looking for. Some are disabled by default and are listed as being in 'beta' such as deleting played podcast and autoplaying the next podcast.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Question guys, would any of these apps be an alternative to Sirius XM? Am dying to get that app on WP8. To listen to my favorite show, I have to carry my Nexus 7 all the time.

Richard Szalay

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I'm the author of Podcaster, so I'll give you the lowdown from my perspective:

Supported right now

Playlists are planned but not currently supported. Expect to see this in 1.6 (release after next; ~3-4 weeks time)

* Delete the podcast upon finishing listening to it

I hadn't considered that before. I'll try to get that into 1.5 (1-2 weeks) or at least 1.6 (3-4 weeks).

* Download podcasts automatically.

Podcaster will actually do this overnight or on demand by "syncing all".

Considering the huge technical hurdles I had to go through to get overnight downloads working, I'd be surprised if you'll find that feature in many other apps on the platform.

Having said that, even downloads starting by sync'ing in the app should run in the background, assuming the developer used the correct APIs.

matthew2582

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
iPodcast does everything you need and the premium version will soon sync episodes and play position to cloud so that you can resume in exact position on any device

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have been struggling trying to find a good podcast app too. I am currently using pod.ding. It has most of the features you ask for and a very nice interface.

Raymond Scott

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
ipodcast is available in a premium version to which you can upgrade from within the app. There is however no information in the store indicating how much this costs. Does anyone know? The premium version offers automatic background sync as an option. Has anyone ever seen this work on any app? Or on ipodcast?

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. I'm the author of Podcaster, so I'll give you the lowdown from my perspective:

Supported right now

Playlists are planned but not currently supported. Expect to see this in 1.6 (release after next; ~3-4 weeks time)

I hadn't considered that before. I'll try to get that into 1.5 (1-2 weeks) or at least 1.6 (3-4 weeks).

Podcaster will actually do this overnight or on demand by "syncing all".

Considering the huge technical hurdles I had to go through to get overnight downloads working, I'd be surprised if you'll find that feature in many other apps on the platform.

Having said that, even downloads starting by sync'ing in the app should run in the background, assuming the developer used the correct APIs.

This is the kind of response I've always wanted from a developer. I wish others could be like you. I downloaded your app today and will surely leave a rating after a week after trying it out properly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss