Won an argument with my brother about apps! Windows getting there..

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay so ever since I got my windows phone in decemeber the app situation has been steadily getting better.
So I decided to do a 'challenge' per se..
My brother is due for an upgrade soon (this month) on Verizon, he has a Samsung Galaxy 2 and really doesnt like Samsungs anymore and was thinking about switching to the iPhone 5 or maybe waiting for the 6, mostly because his girlfriend has iEverything and he even has a Macbook Pro (which fair enough if you want to keep it all in the same ecosystem)
But the problem is..my brothers big..like NFL player big..he can honestly crush that tiny iDevice in the palm of his hand, and I just laugh when I see him texting, and since I havent heard anything about the iPhones 6 changing size wise

I suggested him getting a Windows 8 phone, he immediately came up with the "Oh but they're seriously lacking in apps.." so I was like "Okay tell me the apps that you most use and lets see if windows has it?"..we're siblings and we're really competitive..and really didnt want to look like a dumbass (so i was kinda hoping he'd say something easy like Twitter and Spotify :p lol)

But again we're competitive and he's top two apps were: Zite, and Fany
Two apps that I'd never heard about!
But guess what..Windows 8 actually have both those apps!!:grin::grin:
which I think its a huge testament to how the app situation is improving! obviously we still have a long way to go but still! feels good to prove people wrong!

He's still leaning more towards iPhone..but at least he cant pull the 'lack of app' argument anymore :smile:

If your interesed both Zite and Fancy are really good apps and suggest you guys check it out!
Fancy is kind of a unisex, hipster version of Pinterest..catch is you can actually buy the things you 'fancy'. Though its usually really expensive, still pretty cool

and Zite is a hipster-ish news app, you select a list of categories you like (anything from world news and politics to harry potter and celebrity gossip) and it collects top articles from reputable newspaper/website/magazines...and consolidates it really nicely. I actually replaced both my bloomberg and CNN app and just use this instead

So yeah, start asking people what apps they use...they might be surprise to know Windows has it!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I love Zite. It's awesome, since it actually learns what sources and stories a person likes. That's different from most news/RSS apps.

HM02

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I looked up both of the apps and they both have like 90% awful/hated reviews. Are they really that bad? I've never heard of em, but it seems like all the users on WP hate em.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I looked up both of the apps and they both have like 90% awful/hated reviews. Are they really that bad? I've never heard of em, but it seems like all the users on WP hate em.

hmmm..well Fancy did give me a lot of trouble signing up, had to do online because it wouldnt let me through the app, but after that it was fine
and idk about Zite, maybe its not as fully featured as the ios and android? I notice on my brothers android it had more of a twitter interface, whereas on WP its a different design so maybe thats why?
Idk..check them out and see for yourself :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
They're both free, so you'd have nothing to lose if you don't like them. I haven't tried Fancy, but I love Zite.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Nice! Its not the total amount of apps that counts, it really is the amount of good apps that counts, and then I think WP is really good! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven