Good Internet Relay Chat (IRC) apps for WP8?

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi there.

Are there any GOOD IRC apps for WP8? Something like Colluquy for iOS and Andchat for Android? The apps I found in the store are nowhere near as good...

If there aren't maybe I'll start bugging some developers to develop for WP8 :p Althought, I'm not sure if there's demand for IRC. I don't know many people that actually use it and it's certainly not as popular as it used to be.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm using IRC Free now but honestly it could be better. I guess it'll do for now! But when it disconnects because the phone locked it's really annoying.

jimmiet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm using IRC Free now but honestly it could be better. I guess it'll do for now! But when it disconnects because the phone locked it's really annoying.

Don't most apps disconnect after a screen lock? Just curious as it's been my experience.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't most apps disconnect after a screen lock? Just curious as it's been my experience.

All of the IRC apps on Windows Phone do, yes. But they shouldn't. Very inconvenient for an IRC app. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure Andchat and Colloquy can stay connected during lock. Of course, they probably disconnect you automatically if you are inactive for a while.

Hopefully the developer of IRC7 updates the app to IRC8 and introduces more functionality :) I guess this app will do for now, though.

rcghtc8x

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
+1,000. I agree, as a recent convert to WP8 from Android I miss a decent IRC app that doesn't disconnect whenever the phone locks.

HardDog72

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
it is not easy to do, first it has to work for Connection Resource-intensive agent who works only 10 minutes of Non-cellular connection, and power is greater than 90%, and more restrictions. And even assuming that it somehow solve this, the agent has to re-connect to the server yourself.
read this Background agent best practices for Windows Phone

and a bit of advertising, my IRC client PIRC it is not yet finished, but hope you like it :wink:

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
This is just another app Microsoft made impossible to properly implement due to the all development restrictions.

Last edited:

HardDog72

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I like how made meetandspeak . They launch irc client on their server and app receives messages from him only when online , but I can not call it a IRC client

Last edited:

KPF

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
It's not impossible to make a good IRC client. Something like IRCCloud would be great, but what are the chances that they would develop for windows phone.

kode54

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I may look into coding a Windows Phone app for IRCCloud. After all, the API is public knowledge, the only thing stopping anyone from doing this is lack of motivation. And the source code for both of the existing mobile apps is also publicly available, so it may even serve as a basic reference for what needs to be implemented.

Of course, it can't get in the way of doing my current job, which also involves developing mobile apps, starting with Android.

IlkkaV

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I may look into coding a Windows Phone app for IRCCloud. After all, the API is public knowledge, the only thing stopping anyone from doing this is lack of motivation. And the source code for both of the existing mobile apps is also publicly available, so it may even serve as a basic reference for what needs to be implemented.

Of course, it can't get in the way of doing my current job, which also involves developing mobile apps, starting with Android.

Replying to an old thread, but did you end up making the app? This is something I'd be interested in and I could also contribute to development.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720