Pro Shot App - Tips and Tricks

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I am far from a photographer but I want to learn more about taking great pictures on my Windows Phone. I have purchased Pro Shot and was hoping that others could share tips on how to use this app to take better pictures.

Specifically, here are a few settings that I am looking for recommended settings for:

- Night shots (outdoor)
- Fireworks (4th of July is just around the corner)
- Daytime nature/landscaping shots

I want to know how I should set the contract / saturation levels, focus settings, ISO, Exposure, White Balance, Etc.

Something that may help would be to post a picture and then post what settings you had set when taking the pic.

Thanks for the tips and hopefully a lot can learn from you sharing your thoughts!

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply; I will check out that thread.

I appreciate the truth in knowing that every moment needs specific settings; I am just hoping to find a starting point that will help me learn. I bet that thread will help me.

Thanks!

kojakki

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I've always thought that best is to just shoot, shoot and shoot. That way you get to understand each setting. Play with the settings, thats what i did :)

Sent from Tapatalk/Lumia920

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I've been messing with the app and I'm getting a little better. I hope to find good settings to capture fireworks on the 4th!

nucmanchh

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I really think Pro Shot is an amazing app on a phone camera. But over many years I've used become use to a DLR, now a micro 43rds Panny that I struggle to use my phone as a camera. It has nothing to do with Pro Shot but everything to do with ergonomics and that damn Bing icon

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Is there anybody using the app on Samsung ATIV S? It crashes almost every time I start it, and changing ISO settings or camera mode makes it crash on every start. Have it reinstalled a gazillion of times, but none helped. Waste of money... Hope they'll fix it.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Is there anybody using the app on Samsung ATIV S? It crashes almost every time I start it, and changing ISO settings or camera mode makes it crash on every start. Have it reinstalled a gazillion of times, but none helped. Waste of money... Hope they'll fix it.

you should post this in the "official" ;-) ProShot thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/215564-33.htm currently 33 pages of ProShot wonderfulness.

the developer, RiseUpGames, monitors the thread religiously and responds to just about every user inquiry. good luck!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I really think Pro Shot is an amazing app on a phone camera. But over many years I've used become use to a DLR, now a micro 43rds Panny that I struggle to use my phone as a camera. It has nothing to do with Pro Shot but everything to do with ergonomics and that damn Bing icon

I'm a m43 shooter myself- have a GH1, GF2, 14-140 and 20mm pancake (as well as legacy glass / adapters ). My goal was to make a shooting experience *better* than what I have on those cameras. Ergonomics are one thing software can't fix, but I think the touch experience is much better than any camera I've ever tried (of course I'm probably biased :p). Stick around, there's still a ton of awesome features in the pipeline that will make shooting with ProShot even more enjoyable.

I am sorry for the Samsung incompatibility. The issues are on Samsung, they need to update their firmware. Currently, their devices don't support manual focus, shutter speed adjustment, exposure compensation adjustment is buggy, and so are some white balance options.

It is stated in the app description that ProShot is not compatible with Samsung devices, but it seems like the text is easy to overlook. In the coming update I will add a popup for all Samsung users, so they can see the warning before they make a buying decision. I really hope Samsung fixes this stuff soon.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
How I use ProShot

1) Pin all camera modes to the start screen, like so:

wp_ss_20130705_0003.jpg

2) Auto (and P) are my most used settings. I generally trust the hardware to make the right choices, but I'll open up Auto mode when I know I'm going to have to play with the exposure slider to get what I want, but don't have too much time to worry about much else.

3) I use P when I want ISO or White Balance control but don't want to think too much about shutter speed. Used when I have a few seconds to choose photo settings.

4) M is the mode I use to play with settings, usually when I have a certain shutter speed in mind for the given situation. I use this when I have more than a few seconds to choose photo settings or if I have the opportunity to shoot the scene multiple times.

5) C1 is dedicated to capturing motion. I have the shutter speed set to somewhere between 1/125 and 1/250, usually it sits at 1/160. This mode allows me to freeze motion, but preserve just a little bit of blur to show movement.

6) C2 is my dedicated black and white mode. Usually have Contrast set to +1.

7) In all modes I have Flash turned OFF. I will only turn it on when I need it, and then immediately turn it back off. Also, I pretty much always keep the AF Lamp OFF, the light is annoying haha.

8) If I'm shooting with a long shutter speed (1/2s or longer) and I don't have a tripod or a place to brace my arms, I will use the Self-Timer (set to 1 second) to take my photo. Using the Self-Timer in such a manner helps to minimize camera shake during photo capture since your hands have a second to steady themselves after pressing the camera button.

As with all things, practice makes perfect. The more you shoot, the more you build an instinct for what settings will work and when. Use the EXIF viewer in the camera roll to see what settings the hardware chose (ISO, shutter speed, etc.). It's not only an informative tool, but it's also a way to learn about what works and what doesn't.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I just can't believe this got pinned but the Loving the Proshot app didn't it got over 40000 views take the hint guys.

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
How I use ProShot

1) Pin all camera modes to the start screen, like so:

View attachment 36975

2) Auto (and P) are my most used settings. I generally trust the hardware to make the right choices, but I'll open up Auto mode when I know I'm going to have to play with the exposure slider to get what I want, but don't have too much time to worry about much else.

3) I use P when I want ISO or White Balance control but don't want to think too much about shutter speed. Used when I have a few seconds to choose photo settings.

4) M is the mode I use to play with settings, usually when I have a certain shutter speed in mind for the given situation. I use this when I have more than a few seconds to choose photo settings or if I have the opportunity to shoot the scene multiple times.

5) C1 is dedicated to capturing motion. I have the shutter speed set to somewhere between 1/125 and 1/250, usually it sits at 1/160. This mode allows me to freeze motion, but preserve just a little bit of blur to show movement.

6) C2 is my dedicated black and white mode. Usually have Contrast set to +1.

7) In all modes I have Flash turned OFF. I will only turn it on when I need it, and then immediately turn it back off. Also, I pretty much always keep the AF Lamp OFF, the light is annoying haha.

8) If I'm shooting with a long shutter speed (1/2s or longer) and I don't have a tripod or a place to brace my arms, I will use the Self-Timer (set to 1 second) to take my photo. Using the Self-Timer in such a manner helps to minimize camera shake during photo capture since your hands have a second to steady themselves after pressing the camera button.

As with all things, practice makes perfect. The more you shoot, the more you build an instinct for what settings will work and when. Use the EXIF viewer in the camera roll to see what settings the hardware chose (ISO, shutter speed, etc.). It's not only an informative tool, but it's also a way to learn about what works and what doesn't.

Thanks, these are awesome tips. Can you share what settings you use for a macro shot? Also when the light is behind the object, which settings would you use?

Alex Marcu

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a question rather than a tip: is there any way I can possibly set ProShot as the default camera lens on a 920, so it would start automatically when I press the camera button? Thanks in advance!

kojakki

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about that. I have GDR2 on my L920 and i only can choose stock/Nokia cams. Unless developers can alter this we are stuck....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett