Lumia 1020 vs Pureview 808..

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Despite the Software differences, which are huge!!! I wanted to ask some of the Pureview 808 owners if they feel the need of changing their devices from a camera point of view.. Do you think the Lumia 1020 is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the PVW 808 to justify a $350 difference (ebay prices)..

Thanks in advance, Cheers..

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing most 808 users won't change devices given the raging flame war occuring over on the DPReview website concerning the 1020. Besides the usual Android fans bashing Microsoft and Nokia, the 808 guys seem to hate the very existence of the 1020.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
nope, 808 guys actually hoped it's the very same sensor from 808 + OIS which would move them to WP, what Nokia has come up with has only sensor resolution that is common with 808...everything else is actually worse, BSI, 6th lens, f/2.2 are of no help judging by official samples, absence of dedicated DSP doesn't help either..

1020 takes better pictures only in auto mode but 808 users are camera enthusiasts who don't use auto mode anyway so..

for 808 users who want to go to WP buying 925 is a lot better solution, it has everything from 1020 except camera that they already have in 808(oh and that 1 GB of RAM which is not really needed), 925 is actually a very beautfiul device

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 has a much better hardware, not sure about the quality of the pictures, but...
  • Thinner lens
  • bigger screen
  • better OS (IMO)
  • Will support future updates
  • The camera app I just awesome
  • I'm full of bias

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I am guessing most 808 users won't change devices given the raging flame war occuring over on the DPReview website concerning the 1020. Besides the usual Android fans bashing Microsoft and Nokia, the 808 guys seem to hate the very existence of the 1020.

Seems like some of those haters are already here (post right below yours, 925 better indeed).....

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
and where exactly have you noticed hate in my post? Some people really need reality check.

The 1020 has a much better hardware, not sure about the quality of the pictures, but...
  • Thinner lens - so?
  • bigger screen - it als has bigger resolution, but it's PenTile instead of full RGB in 808 and also has twice lower contrast that is very important for a cameraphone
  • better OS (IMO) - since this is WP forums then let it be so, however it's a very complicated comparison since both have advantages
  • Will support future updates - Belle will be supported until 2016, how long you plan to use the phone? I see that people who bought 920 are already changing them for 925/1020, used them not even a year, also last year there were more updates for Belle than for WP...microsoft is lazy and we all know that
  • The camera app I just awesome - it is, but it doesn't help much for IQ
  • I'm full of bias - it's OK, we are all

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
and where exactly have you noticed hate in my post? Some people really need reality check.
agreed. Some people see anything not 100% positive about everything nokia and windows as hate.

Personally id rather have a 92x device as don't like the look of the 1020, that isn't to say the camera wont be amazing as in sure it will..

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

• Thinner lens - so?
  • bigger screen - it als has bigger resolution, but it's PenTile instead of full RGB in 808 and also has twice lower contrast that is very important for a cameraphone
  • better OS (IMO) - since this is WP forums then let it be so, however it's a very complicated comparison since both have advantages
  • Will support future updates - Belle will be supported until 2016, how long you plan to use the phone? I see that people who bought 920 are already changing them for 925/1020, used them not even a year, also last year there were more updates for Belle than for WP...microsoft is lazy and we all know that
  • The camera app I just awesome - it is, but it doesn't help much for IQ
  • I'm full of bias - it's OK, we are all

Not sure if you were really replying to my post (reality check comment).

Anyway
Thinner lens = feels better in the pocket
Bigger screen = It's nice to see your picture on a bigger screen, to me the 808's screen was a little bit too small.
Updates = Microsoft lacks execution, which can also be perceived as laziness.

I saw an article about the 1020's lens and there's actually some great tech behind the thinner design. They managed to make it significantly smaller without affecting quality too much.

On a side not: A friend of mine works for the SAQ (liquor shops owned by the gov't here in Quebec, CA) and he as to visit something like 70 shops/year to take pictures of some displays (can't remember what is the purpose, but hey he gets paid for it). He's strongly considering the 1020 since it would replace his camera and iPhone 4 at the same time. I can see this kind of scenarios helping Nokia to get some sales.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
it does feel better in pocket, but my comment was about image quality :)

screen is bigger only 10% and don't forget that on a sunny day 808 screen will be a lot more visible than 1020 thanks to extremely high contrast on 808(compared to normal phones like 1020), also don't forget that you can't open full res pictures on 1020 but you have to transfer them on a PC (they will probably sort it with some update)

once you get used to high contrast screen you will not pay attention to screen size and resolution :)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I'd pick an 808 over a 1020 any day.
I'd rather have a smaller package that can guarantee me lasting a day under normal use and works better as a phone. (Not to mention the fact that Symbian is actually one of the most flexible OSes out there in terms of multitasking)

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
it does feel better in pocket, but my comment was about image quality :)

screen is bigger only 10% and don't forget that on a sunny day 808 screen will be a lot more visible than 1020 thanks to extremely high contrast on 808(compared to normal phones like 1020), also don't forget that you can't open full res pictures on 1020 but you have to transfer them on a PC (they will probably sort it with some update)

once you get used to high contrast screen you will not pay attention to screen size and resolution :)

you wont be able to see a full res picture on the 808 either the pixel density is too low to actually see the real quality, most likely better to look at on the pc, and dont forget OIS available on the 1020 which is a plus, now picture quality the only way will be a side by side, but for a mainstream OS like WP8 has a better camera than Android and IOS is already a win situation.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
you are able to see the full res picture on 808 as you can use zoom to see the details, that way you can say that you are unable to see 2 MP picture on lumia because it has 720p screen...you don't have to see every pixel really :)

OIS is a plus, but it can't overcome the sensor quality difference when it comes to image quality(there are also many ways to improvise stabilisation if you are creative)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If you are content with Symbian, which is the case with me, I really don't see a reason to upgrade.

The faster shutter speed and OIS are tempting, but not enough ..

From what I've seen so far, I am pretty sure that the 808 has the edge in terms of IQ.

Another big problem is that I can't even fit my music collection on the 1020.. I have over 35gb of music on my 808.

I also like my phones smaller.. the 1020 is wider, taller, and it carriers more volume overall.. its harder to use with one hand. I am going to wait until mid 2014 and see how things are... there should be a no compromise phone from Nokia by then which can replace my 808.

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I own an 808 and I am super excited about my 1020! I stayed up last night until midnight to get my pre order in. I also had 2 Nokia n8's as well back in the day. The n8 to me is still second to only the 808. The sensor on the 1020 is still larger than the n8 which was a beast. I am curious to see OIS + the advantages of the 41mp sensor. Also although I do like the HDMI out, flexibility of the SD card expansion and USB on the go to name a few advantages Windows has many advantages of its own. Infinitely more stable, MUCH better browser for example.

Although I do believe Symbian was definitely improving, I will be happy to have a phone that on reboot for example doesn't need what feels like an eternity to rebuild the photo library. That has to shut down Java in the browser to have a half way decent experience. Also as nice as the 808 screen is from a contrast standpoint I much prefer the higher resolution and larger screen size of the 1020.

So I sold the 920 as I am POSITIVE this phone will destroy that one, but I am holding on to the 808 for now to actually compare. If it is close I will be selling the 808. The overall experience, I believe, will be will offset any slight difference that the addition sensor size may deliver (hopefully :) ).

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For me (having both the 920 and the 808) the allure of the 1020 is not having to carry both devices. If it can get me close to the 808, better than the n8 with some OIS action I am golden.

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The only downside for you even a year out is that you like smaller devices. I don't think Nokia will put together a flagship camera phone with a footprint like the 808 again. Maybe thinner in the future but height and width I seriously doubt. The lack of SD card does suck though. Also I really used they heck out of the HDMI output. I know I can use DLNA but sometimes it is a bit fussy. Kind of convenient just popping the cable in.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
those are valid points and yes 1020 will be very close and even better in auto mode and when OIS is needed

What stability issues you had with your 808, 3G bug I suppose?

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
On the Pentile argument (and prior to 720 and 1080 displays I absolutely hated them) the 1020 will be significantly sharper than the 808. Contrast in sunlight I agree that it's a shame Nokia couldn't crank it up to 808 levels. But I am taking a wait and see approach as most reviews raved about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)