Halo: Spartan Assault - Which version should I get (Windows Phone or Surface RT)?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I was disappointed to see that there is no trial in either the Windows Phone or Windows RT versions of Halo: Spartan Assault as I wanted to try both out to see which I like better. As is, I am hoping those who have played either (or, better yet, both) versions of the game can chime in. Here are the pros and cons:

1. Windows Phone version
If I get this one I don't have to pay for it (still have some money from the $25 Nokia Lumia 928 credit), but I worry it will be too hard to play on the smaller screen.

2. Surface RT
I love my Surface RT but I have heard that the Harvest runs sluggishly on it, so I wanted to ensure it could handle Halo. The larger screen seems like a plus, but that's not always a guarantee (for example, I have Rocket Riot on both my Surface and Windows Phone and I actually prefer the Windows Phone version because in this case the smaller screen works better with the touch controls. They're more cumbersome on the Surface RT). The other downside is that I'd have to pay the $7 instead of free on my Windows Phone.

3. Both?
It's my understanding that this has a Skulls-of-the-Shogun-esque 'pick up and play' system across devices where I can start a campaign on the Surface, pause it, and pick up where I left off on Windows Phone (and vice versa). Is that true and has anyone here tried it out? Is it worth it?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Im going for the RT version. My 8X turns into a hand held oven playing games for any length of time and I would rather save my battery for things like calls and texts. If im going to play Spartan assault I want a bigger screen and better battery so I can get a longer session in.

Not sure on performance yet as its still downloading but I have the harvest and haven't had any issues on that.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd go Windows Phone, especially if it's free. That tablet seems like it'd be a little cumbersome for a twin-stick like this, especially when hitting the pickup and weapon buttons. Ideally, I'd vote get the Windows Phone version now, then get the Windows 8 version in August, after controller support is added (assuming you have a controller to use).

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got sucked into this game on my Surface RT for the last two hours. It's incredible! Graphics are smooth, controls are good, game play and music are great! I never found it tiring or cumbersome to hold the tablet and use the controls. After two hours of game play, the Surface was only slightly warm and I still had 60% battery life.

I can't get this game on my phone yet (920 on ATT), but I'm not sure if I will. The experience on the Surface is so immersive that I'm not sure if the game on the phone could even compare.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just got sucked into this game on my Surface RT for the last two hours. It's incredible! Graphics are smooth, controls are good, game play and music are great! I never found it tiring or cumbersome to hold the tablet and use the controls. After two hours of game play, the Surface was only slightly warm and I still had 60% battery life.

I can't get this game on my phone yet (920 on ATT), but I'm not sure if I will. The experience on the Surface is so immersive that I'm not sure if the game on the phone could even compare.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not interested in the phone version, but interested that if I buy it on Surface, can I also play it on Windows 8 since the purchase should probably be on the account, not related to the device itself? Or are the Surface ARM versions still different from the x86 version that my PC would run. I would rather play with touch screen I think, but would love the option to play it at high FPS too if they keyboard controls are good etc.

If anyone buys this on PC/Surface, please confirm if you can use it on the other too.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not interested in the phone version, but interested that if I buy it on Surface, can I also play it on Windows 8 since the purchase should probably be on the account, not related to the device itself? Or are the Surface ARM versions still different from the x86 version that my PC would run. I would rather play with touch screen I think, but would love the option to play it at high FPS too if they keyboard controls are good etc.

If anyone buys this on PC/Surface, please confirm if you can use it on the other too.
the W8, Win RT stores are the same. You need to buy only once.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
On Surface the game is at least plenty of fun, spent a few hours pretty fast there. I also tried it on Windows 8, but I felt the touch controls were more natural to this game. I personally wouldnt get it for a phone, but thats just cos I dont like gaming on a phone in general.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Can't see any real reason to buy on both platforms as the only benefit is being able to pause on one and resume play on the other. With the prospect of controller support and the immersion of a larger screen the RT/8 versions seems to be the best choice.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Can't see any real reason to buy on both platforms as the only benefit is being able to pause on one and resume play on the other. With the prospect of controller support and the immersion of a larger screen the RT/8 versions seems to be the best choice.

Reason for Windows Phone purchase: I can use my Bing Rewards to get it for free.

EDDS

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I got it on both and the Surface RT version is better, the controls are more accurate and on the WP8 version the audio sometimes stutters, I get no issues on the Surface version at all.

Radecho007

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft needs to unify the W8 app store with the WP8 store.. not sure why.. after giving them money by buying a Windows Phone 8, a Surface tablet and a windows laptop I'd have to buy the game twice.

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a laptop with Windows 8 pro on it, but it doesn't have a touchscreen. I am able to download Spartan Assault, but should I? I'm not sure I could use the touchpad to control it.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a laptop with Windows 8 pro on it, but it doesn't have a touchscreen. I am able to download Spartan Assault, but should I? I'm not sure I could use the touchpad to control it.
If you're used to PC gaming, you could pull it off.
Keyboard knows all!
If you don't know what I'm talking about, get the Win8/RT version.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The windows 8 / RT version is superior. The phone version uses much lower resolution assets throughout, and so it doesn't look crisp in comparison. Plus on my 920, the WP version randomly crashes (which I think is related to how insanely hot it's getting while playing).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The windows 8 / RT version is superior. The phone version uses much lower resolution assets throughout, and so it doesn't look crisp in comparison. Plus on my 920, the WP version randomly crashes (which I think is related to how insanely hot it's getting while playing).

1. It doesn't get that hot for me.
2. It crashed on me, but it was only after a couple of minutes of playing, and the phone hadn't even started warming.

That has me thinking it might not be heat-related crashing, because the one time it HAS crashed for me, it was shortly after starting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo