Google, not Apple could kill Windows Phone.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Think about it, what's really killing WP right now is not lack of Instagram but Google Apps. Youtube is the #1 consumer app in the world right now and Google will never, ever bring a first-class YT app to WP8 or Windows 8. Youtube is now what MS Word was 15 years ago, a platform decider. That's why iOS/Android have 90% of the market sewn up - Google apps.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I thought about it and dismissed it outright. What keeps google going is what Microsoft "allows' them to do. What makes google the lions share of it bank are ads on the desktop, which is owned by Microsoft. Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8. And trust me, Microsoft could make life difficult for google whenever it decides to pull the trigger on its API, rendering any and everything google does feel less than Netscape. Having said that, the deal is already in the works for the kind of Youtube app Microsoft wants and google could live with. I wouldn't worry about Microsoft. They been in the game a lot longer than that ad agency.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
This could be true, but if we have strong alternatives, we could be ok

Sent from something UHMAYZING using Tapatalk

qudahamohammad

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
if you think that the lack of an app can destroy a platform then Windows Phone would've sunk months ago. 3rd party alternatives can be used to fill the purpose or YouTube. Personally I use YouTube HD to play YouTube videos but I'm pretty sure that are tens of 3rd party alternatives that you could use instead of the official application.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
if you think that the lack of an app can destroy a platform then Windows Phone would've sunk months ago. 3rd party alternatives can be used to fill the purpose or YouTube. Personally I use YouTube HD to play YouTube videos but I'm pretty sure that are tens of 3rd party alternatives that you could use instead of the official application.

One could argue WP is stillborn at 3% marketshare. It never took off.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Think about it, what's really killing WP right now is not lack of Instagram but Google Apps. Youtube is the #1 consumer app in the world right now and Google will never, ever bring a first-class YT app to WP8 or Windows 8. Youtube is now what MS Word was 15 years ago, a platform decider. That's why iOS/Android have 90% of the market sewn up - Google apps.

Nah, alternatives like MetroTube are just fine. A 1st party implementation adds no significant value over what MetroTube already does. IMHO MetroTube is even better than what Google would offer, as MetroTube omits the advertisements

Google can't kill WP. Apple can't kill WP. The only thing that can kill WP is Microsoft.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Youtube?

I care more about Google Search and Google Maps, as Bing is terrible where I live. But for that there are satisfying 3rd party apps too.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I thought about it and dismissed it outright. What keeps google going is what Microsoft "allows' them to do. What makes google the lions share of it bank are ads on the desktop, which is owned by Microsoft. Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8. And trust me, Microsoft could make life difficult for google whenever it decides to pull the trigger on its API, rendering any and everything google does feel less than Netscape. Having said that, the deal is already in the works for the kind of Youtube app Microsoft wants and google could live with. I wouldn't worry about Microsoft. They been in the game a lot longer than that ad agency.

Um. What API?

PeadarWagon

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
One could argue WP is stillborn at 3% marketshare. It never took off.

I am tired of this argument. First of all, I believe it is closer to 6% now. This shows huge growth. Everything has to start somewhere. Craft beer only makes up about 7% of all beer. This doesn't mean I have to drink terrible beer because the vast majority of people like to drink cold pee water.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I am tired of this argument. First of all, I believe it is closer to 6% now. This shows huge growth. Everything has to start somewhere. Craft beer only makes up about 7% of all beer. This doesn't mean I have to drink terrible beer because the vast majority of people like to drink cold pee water.

I think the entire app development situation is a little different in the beer market for example. ;-)

anon(5346288)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
When people ask me if WP has this app or that app, many times I say yes but other times I say "No BUT there's a really good alternatives that work well such as..." I think some people don't consider 3rd party apps any better than the original per say, either that or they might have a bad experience with 3rd party apps on whatever platform they use. Either way when I say 3rd party or alternative, most assume it's a bad thing. I even explain how most of the developers of these apps work hard and support their apps better, etc and even then its hard to convince them sometimes.

If Google plays "hard to get" for WP then that WOULD scare away potential buyers even if there are alternatives 1000x better. Just look at the effect it has for not having the "official" Instagram app, etc. Microsoft is doing everything they can to get bigname apps and we see that almost every day with big name releases. Even then, it takes time to get Big name apps on board, for development, release, certification, etc.

Google can't grow for ever. Their growth will slow down at some point. WP is still young and has room and potential for some serious growth. That along with the tight integration with other MS products should hit a home run.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When people ask me if WP has this app or that app, many times I say yes but other times I say "No BUT there's a really good alternatives that work well such as..." I think some people don't consider 3rd party apps any better than the original per say, either that or they might have a bad experience with 3rd party apps on whatever platform they use. Either way when I say 3rd party or alternative, most assume it's a bad thing. I even explain how most of the developers of these apps work hard and support their apps better, etc and even then its hard to convince them sometimes.

If Google plays "hard to get" for WP then that WOULD scare away potential buyers even if there are alternatives 1000x better. Just look at the effect it has for not having the "official" Instagram app, etc. Microsoft is doing everything they can to get bigname apps and we see that almost every day with big name releases. Even then, it takes time to get Big name apps on board, for development, release, certification, etc.

Google can't grow for ever. Their growth will slow down at some point. WP is still young and has room and potential for some serious growth. That along with the tight integration with other MS products should hit a home run.
I agree with you on 3rd party apps. That doesn't mean they are bad, and in many cases they are better. Look how many iPhone and Android users prefer 3rd party Twitter apps. If iOS/Android has better 3rd party apps, then so can Windows Phone.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I can only agree about youtube. I don't need anything else from Evil corporation. I have already switched all my mails to outlook.com, moves all photos from Picasa to SkyDrive, I use Nokia maps (much better that google maps here). So I don't think groogle can kill WP.

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
If anything not kills WP than it is YouTube... We have so many High Quality 3rd Party YouTube Apps...

Maybe a Google Maps app is Missing (I Prefer Here Maps Over Google) but thats not the Point... We see so Much Big Name Apps in the last 2-3 Month, let us wait another 2-3 and nealry no big App or a Good Alternative will be missed.

The Problem is MS has to do bring Update for the Little things sooo many of us need like Rotation Lock, Sound Profiles, Notification Center (Even i do not need one), Support for Newer Hardware (OK WP8 is fast on CUrrent Hardware but People still look to Hardware Specs too much).

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Mah brother Sherman Hemsley tellyng th' man whut it is!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I use zero google services save for a youtube video that just happens to be embedded on a news article I click. I don't miss any of their apps one bit.

To say YouTube is a platform decider may be the most ridiculous thing I've read this week. Youtube at its core does one thing, it serves up a video. Nothing in their service prevents one from watching a served up video in any fashion. In fact windows Phone does it natively so no big deal there. I have no desire or interest to browse their site and comment on and watch trite crap....but if a site or app wants to use them to serve up video through their app no biggy as long as I don't have to sign up for a Google+ privacy stealing account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb