Request NextDoor App for Windows Phone

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone. I just started using an new app called NextDoor on my iPod Touch. This a social network for neighborhoods and it's very useful. Right now, they only support iOS, big surprise there, but their next project will be to release an Android app. There was no mention in a Windows Phone app.

So I'm here to ask my fellow Windows Phone users to contact NextDoor by email and let them know you have an interested in NextDoor Windows Phone app.

I already emailed twice from two different email address. Hope to get enough interest from the WP community that they will develop one for the WP.

Thanks!

https://nextdoor.com/

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Just a friendly bump here. Please email NextDoor with your interest in a Windows Phone app, which I've done already. This is a great app that Windows Phone needs.

Here's the Send Email page. I've emailed them a couple of times and both times they responded.

The more quality apps we can get for WP, the better.

Thanks!

Nextdoor | Email Us

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Problem with that site is the rules when signing-up. Let's say your neighborhood isn't signed up yet. if you don't get 14 people signed up within 30 days (exact numbers might be slightly off, doing this from memory), the neighborhood gets deleted and someone else has to start the neighborhood up again.

anon(5328800)

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The City of St. Louis and the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department will very soon be utilizing Nextdoor as a tool to communicate with citizens. I LOVE what this site does for a community but HATE using the mobile site (or any mobile site, for that matter). I had an opportunity to speak with a developer at Nextdoor and they said they don't have plans at this moment for a windows phone app due to lack of interest.

I had commented on one of their facebook posts requesting a windows phone app, and a few other comments followed that echoed my request. This was before I talked to the developer...anyway, someone had responded "we hear all of the requests for a windows phone app :)." I guess I read too much into the emoticon...I took it as we're working on it but I guess that's not the case. So....please spread the word and continue sending emails.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks jmatthew! Right before I read this thread, I emailed Nextdoor again just to bug them. This is a great app and very informative. The police department of my home city of Houston also signed up with Nextdoor. Now if only we can get the app on Windows Phone.

I wish these developers would stop this mentality of "no interest in Windows Phone." This is what is keeping major apps from coming to WP. If they would just develop one, then they'll realize there is an interest. How will they know if they don't develop one. It's another market they need to tap into. Why restrict yourself to only two ecosystems?

To everyone else, email Nextdoor, even if you have no interest in the app. The more people that bug them, the better for our ecosystem.

passntyme

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I emailed next door and got this response:
Lee replied:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your feedback! We look forward to offering Nextdoor on all mobile platforms, and I?ll be sure to pass your along your interest to our product team.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions about how we can improve your Nextdoor experience.

Best,

Lee
Nextdoor

cyberfighter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I emailed nextdoor last week and they sent me this reply. Please keep up the emails!

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your email. While we don?t currently have plans to develop a Windows phone application, it may be something that we consider doing in the future!

Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Best,

Alex
Nextdoor.com

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks jmatthew! Right before I read this thread, I emailed Nextdoor again just to bug them. This is a great app and very informative. The police department of my home city of Houston also signed up with Nextdoor. Now if only we can get the app on Windows Phone.

I wish these developers would stop this mentality of "no interest in Windows Phone." This is what is keeping major apps from coming to WP. If they would just develop one, then they'll realize there is an interest. How will they know if they don't develop one. It's another market they need to tap into. Why restrict yourself to only two ecosystems?

To everyone else, email Nextdoor, even if you have no interest in the app. The more people that bug them, the better for our ecosystem.

Right, and you will provide the capital investment needed to develop an app?

A lot of people here seem to have no idea just how complex programming is, even something relatively simple like a mobile app...

You don't just slap it together. You need a UI/UX designer to figure out how to design the app to adhere to the WP UI guidelines, while still being consistent with the app on other platforms. Since this app has a cloud backend, they need to see if the cloud backend needs to be changed to work with WP. Then they need to actually write the app. Since WP uses different programming toolsets, they may need to hire someone just to do this.

So. That's at least 1-3 months of full time work from at least 2 employees, which can be a huge burden for a smaller company. In their place, I know I'd make the decision to go with a proven and popular platform instead of taking a chance with a platform that has miniscule market share in the US (which seems to be the target market for this app). It just makes no business sense.

cyberfighter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Right, and you will provide the capital investment needed to develop an app?

A lot of people here seem to have no idea just how complex programming is, even something relatively simple like a mobile app...

You don't just slap it together. You need a UI/UX designer to figure out how to design the app to adhere to the WP UI guidelines, while still being consistent with the app on other platforms. Since this app has a cloud backend, they need to see if the cloud backend needs to be changed to work with WP. Then they need to actually write the app. Since WP uses different programming toolsets, they may need to hire someone just to do this.

So. That's at least 1-3 months of full time work from at least 2 employees, which can be a huge burden for a smaller company. In their place, I know I'd make the decision to go with a proven and popular platform instead of taking a chance with a platform that has miniscule market share in the US (which seems to be the target market for this app). It just makes no business sense.

I don't think anyone said it is easy. I believe they are merely saying that with the more emails nextdoor gets, the more it proves to be a solid investment for them. I agree with you that for a small company, they should get their start on the popular platforms but my hope is that eventually they see that there are enough people on WP to invest in an app this platform as well.

cyberfighter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I would also think that this would be a very good app to use the social extensibility framework. I personally would love to be able to see what my neighbors (that I have in my contract list) are posting right from their contract page

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans