Need a mapping app...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I got my first WP8 device, the Nokia Beta apps were the cause of much heartache and battery drain. When I got my current 920 a couple of weeks ago, I instinctively nuked HERE Maps and HERE Drive just in case.

Well, now I need a map app, heh.

So, WPC readers, I ask you: HERE Maps or MapQuest? Or maybe another map app that I'm not familiar with?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think you need to give HERE another shot, it's always done well for me, but I'll admit I don't have to use it that much cause only losers get lost in Iowa. :smile:

Heck, it won't even let me use the commute function because I live too close to work..haha.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
How has HERE left you wanting? I've encountered one or two instances where I was lead to the wrong place because of funky address formatting, but other than that it's been really solid. Hell, I finally used the Transit app today and it rocked.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How has HERE left you wanting?

I... I didn't say it had?

Back in November 2012 when I first got a WP8 phone, HERE Maps and Drive were in beta and causing all sorts of battery problems. I nuked and never used them. When I got my new 920 two weeks or so ago, having been on an iPhone for a few months, I nuked them both assuming the situation was the same.

Now I find myself in need of a mapping app. So I'm asking for recommendations for one. :)

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Why dont you re-download them again and givw a new try? Those battery problems back then with the beta were solved by disabling the backround task. I assume that is not needed anymore as its out of beta.

I moved from Lumia 920 to Ativ S (way better battery), which left me looking for a navigation app. I bought GPS Voice navigation for 7? or something like that. Really good, you can use maps of you choise, google, bing, here etc. I download Nokia's maps to my device and it is true offline navigation. I love the app! But I dont think you need it, you can use Here drive! Btw, Here is now available for me too, but costs a lot, 35?. I will be back to Nokia pretty soon I guess so Il get it for free then.

Last edited:

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
You should give Here Maps another go; it's worked great for me so far. If you find it still drains your battery, just block it from running in the background.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah, so a reputation that you never personally confirmed is what left you wanting. Got it.

Dude, really? Why are you winding me up like this? Did I accidentally kick your puppy or something?

II've never been left wanting because I've never needed a mapping app. Now I do, so I'm asking for recommendations. It's really as simple as that.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I also recommend the HERE Apps. They use the same maps as a source. I use them on my Samsung ATIV without issues. I also spent the money to unlock the global license. I think it was about $20. They have come quite the way since the beta versions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077