Taken for granted (a comparison of WP8's advantages over iOS7)

baylorbear134

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
A little background here...
I have always been a huge fan of windows phone, and have been excited about the platform ever since engadget released their very first preview of WP7 years ago. I owned the Samsung Focus, then the Focus S, and now currently the Nokia 920. I've literally never owned an iphone. Before windows phone I had one of the old windows mobile devices.

Unfortunately, I am now in an interesting situation. Even though the 920 is a tank, a have dropped my phone possibly hundreds of times. I've finally managed to do some permanent damage to my phone, as it now randomly will not receive group texts. Literally, for every ten group texts I get, it doesn't receive 3 or 4. And this is a major problem for me considering a majority of the texting I do is through group (MMS). I have an upgrade available and need to get a new phone within the next month or so-I can't wait for a new round of devices or software updates to get a replacement. This leaves me with two real choices: The Nokia 925 or the new iPhone 5S.

Now a year ago, I never would had even considered getting an iphone over my beloved windows phone. However, some of the big advantages that windows phone once had (in my eyes, of course) now seem to be nonexistent. To explain, I always stuck with windows phone when I used upgrades for three main reasons:

1. Xbox Music: I had the Zune HD, and loved the music subscription service. I was always aware of Spotify, but the fact that you couldn't download music for offline play was a deal breaker.
2. Big screen: I loved that windows phone had screens that were 4 inches and larger. I could never imagine going back to the iphone's tiny 3.7" screen.
3. Camera: The camera on my 920 has been amazing. The phone always took ridiculously better photos in the dark than any of my friends' iphones, and anytime I showed someone a video I recorded I would get a comment on how amazing the picture quality was.

Now I feel that those 3 things that I once viewed as exclusive to windows phone are now available on iphone too. Spotify has playlists available for download, granted it isn't a native app. Apple has bumped their screen up to 4 inches and has the beautiful retina display. And the recent WPcentral camera comparison article seems to put the 925 and 5S on equal footing.

As I try and decide which phone I'm going to get, I can't help but think about the everyday conveniences I take for granted on my windows phone that I'll miss. I'm going to go ahead and mention a few that come to mind, and I encourage anyone else to contribute to the little things on windows phone that we may take for granted that make our lives a little easier.

Integration
The integration on windows phone is beautiful. A perfect example is pressing the bing button and using it to look up the name of the song that's currently playing. Then with the press of a single button, you can immediately download that song on xbox music. Sure, iphone has apps that accomplish that too, like spotify and shazam, but that little piece of native integration just makes things a little easier and quicker.

Office on a phone

The convenience of being able to receive attached word/excel documents in an email, download and edit them, and then save to skydrive truly makes my life a whole lot easier. To my knowledge, it isn't possible to open and edit office documents on the iOS7, and this is something that I will truly miss. It may even be a deal breaker for me.

Instant Search
Although bing is sometimes spotty on results, it is super convenient to quickly make a web search just by tapping a physical button.

Nokia Apps
Granted, this only applies to Nokia phones, but I am going to greatly miss Nokia Maps. I'm not aware of how functional the maps on ios are now, but it was so easy to google a local business, and quickly open up the awesome Nokia drive app with one press.

Microsoft Services

After using windows phone for something like 3 years now, several of microsof's services are ingrained into my everyday life. Skydrive, xbox music, xbox games, and onenote are all services I use on a daily basis, and their integration onto windows computers is simple and intuitive, although microsoft has recently started to provide some of these services like skydrive as apps on other platforms. I actually feel strongly that this was a major mistake by microsoft. These services are what make the windows phone experience really unique and so much better. To share them with other platforms destroys the advantage.

That's just my 2 cents. Feel free to comment, disagree, and contribute.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you subscribe to Office 365, you can download office to an iphone.

Basically all the apps from microsoft that are available for Windows Phone are now on iPhone.

Bing is also available but is in dire needs of an update.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Give the iPhone 5S a go for 2 weeks, come back and give your impressions. I would like to get your opinion then, when you've used it for a bit.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If you're in Fairbanks, Alaska, you can use an iPhone as an excuse for driving across a runway. :wink:
IPhone map leads drivers across airport runway

No way can an iPhone beat a 92x or 1020 if you take video, given the OIS that the Apple doesn't have. If you're shooting video often, they're not going to be as smooth.
The iPhone 5S does in fact have OIS, and I've heard it works very well.

However, there is no question that the Lumia 1020 has a much better camera overall (although that comes with some obvious trade-offs). The 92X phones have great cameras too, but they are more or less on the same level as the iPhone in most ways that matter.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5S does in fact have OIS, and I've heard it works very well.

However, there is no question that the Lumia 1020 has a much better camera overall (although that comes with some obvious trade-offs). The 92X phones have great cameras too, but they are more or less on the same level as the iPhone in most ways that matter.

No, the iPhone 5S and all other smartphones have digital image stabilization. They do not have optical image stabilization. With OIS, the actual optics perform stabilization since the whole camera "floats."

DIS is completely different. They both are trying to solve the same thing, but in very different ways.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
no, the iphone 5s and all other smartphones have digital image stabilization. They do not have optical image stabilization. With ois, the actual optics perform stabilization since the whole camera "floats."

dis is completely different. They both are trying to solve the same thing, but in very different ways.

exactly.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
No, the iPhone 5S and all other smartphones have digital image stabilization. They do not have optical image stabilization. With OIS, the actual optics perform stabilization since the whole camera "floats."

DIS is completely different. They both are trying to solve the same thing, but in very different ways.

I am aware of the difference, but I could have sworn I read somewhere it had OIS (followed by a comment about how now Nokia didn't have that advantage)

But looking into it further, you are correct. However from what I've seen of sample photos and videos, it seems quite effective nonetheless.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just get a Lumia 520/521 until new devices come out, then use your upgrade.

That's not a terrible idea, really. However, it depends on app reliance. The 52x devices lack a front camera and 1 GB of RAM, so there are game limitations (if that matters to him). The small amount of storage would likely affect him after being on the platform for so long as well.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia 925 or the new iPhone 5S.

Right off the bat, I have to make mention of something: The iPhone 5S costs twice what the Lumia 925 does. If you're willing to spend the $200 for the 5S, would the Lumia 1020 be on the table?

Apple has bumped their screen up to 4 inches and has the beautiful retina display.

I have to stop here and ask you if you know what the Retina Display actually is. It refers to the pixel density of the display. This was considered meaningful when it first came out on the iPhone, and it's still something of a significant matter on the iPad, where displays are larger than smartphones. However, with smartphones, it's become a total joke. Apple uses that branding as an excuse for keeping low-resolution displays. The iPhone 5S doesn't have an HD display, it's resolution is 1136x640 (the minimum for HD is 720p, or 1280x720). By comparison, the Lumia 925 has a resolution of 1280x768. The resolutions won't matter to you, really, but I thought I'd clarify that for you. By the way, that bumped-up resolution on the Lumia 925 also puts its pixel density above the iPhone 5S's (the 920 and 1020 carry that same resolution), despite being a larger display. In short, the pixel density and resolution favor the high-end Lumias, and that's before you add in the super-sensitive touch and sunlight readability features.

As I try and decide which phone I'm going to get, I can't help but think about the everyday conveniences I take for granted on my windows phone that I'll miss. I'm going to go ahead and mention a few that come to mind, and I encourage anyone else to contribute to the little things on windows phone that we may take for granted that make our lives a little easier.

To cover the rest:

Integration: That's all about the services you use. I didn't even know about the Xbox Music thing you mentioned, as I don't do music streaming. If you like that, then it's a pro-Windows Phone thing, I guess.

Office: As was mentioned, Office 365 gives you access to the iPhone app, if you're subscribed to it. If not, then the free Office availability on Windows Phone's another notch in its favor.

Instant Search. I personally hate the single-button style of the iPhone. The ability to press and hold the Search button from the lockscreen and get to Bing is great.

Nokia Apps: Yeah, the offline HERE Maps is great. My brother-in-law said that the limit on Google Maps is something like 18 MB for an offline maps download, while Nokia's limit is basically whatever your phone can hold.

Microsoft Services: Again, this just depends on your reliance on the Microsoft services, but Microsoft is also pretty good about sharing its features with the competition (unlike a certain owner of YouTube), so you're unlikely to lose any big services. The only exceptions would be the Games hub (meaning easy Xbox LIVE integration and the convenience of sorting games from regular apps, which I love) and Office (if you don't subscribe to 365).

Personally, I've never owned an Apple product, nor would I. I had an Android device before my 920, but I'd never go back to Android willingly, given the things Windows Phone offers (Bing Rewards = free Xbox games, Games hub sorts games from apps well, Xbox Music interface trumps android offerings, camera button, etc.). It's up to what you're willing to compromise on, but I guess I have to ask what the iPhone offers that Windows Phone DOESN'T for you. You didn't mention anything but "Apple has caught up to Windows Phone on some key features," but if it's ONLY caught up for you, what's the advantage of a switch?

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
That's not a terrible idea, really. However, it depends on app reliance. The 52x devices lack a front camera and 1 GB of RAM, so there are game limitations (if that matters to him). The small amount of storage would likely affect him after being on the platform for so long as well.

52x devices do have expandable memory. So infact he can get more storage than his 920.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
You know that iphone 5 also had 4 inch screen? Btw, pixel density on iphone 5/5s is less than all Nokia 92x and above phones and others. Though, I know that it doesn't
make much difference. At-least not to me.

Btw, WPCentral's camera comparison didn't compare video or audio performance of the devices. I believe 1020/925 will trump 5s by a big margin there.
Now I feel that those 3 things that I once viewed as exclusive to windows phone are now available on iphone too. Spotify has playlists available for download, granted it isn't a native app. Apple has bumped their screen up to 4 inches and has the beautiful retina display. And the recent WPcentral camera comparison article seems to put the 925 and 5S on equal footing.

Luigi Lop

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd say that you could wait for the lumia1520 to come out. If the 920 seemed fast to you, i cant imagine how fast that one must be.

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
52x devices do have expandable memory. So infact he can get more storage than his 920.

As someone else mentioned, apps cannot go to the microSD card, only media. So, if you are someone who has quite a few games and apps installed on a device with only 6 GB or so free (after formatting and OS install), you'll run into many storage issues with larger games (which require space to cover 3-5 times the actual game size).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss