Taken for granted (a comparison of WP8's advantages over iOS7)

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My 920 broke and I got a 520 and it held me over much, much better than I expected it to. I learned that I can "live with" its limitations. No FFC, etc. I found that of all the apps I would have had installed, I only use a handful regularly.

My biggest complaint would be the utter unavailability of using the camera, but you get by.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok, first those people talking about the price, he said he is using his upgrade for his carrier, so he can get the upgrade for free or with a little money added on.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Either you're joking and just forgot the "/s" or you should be on imore.com next door!!
I love my windows phone, and it was in my budget since I wasn't old enough to get a summer job yet, I was cutting grasses for money. I bought this windows phone and having owned an iOS device the lack of apps has just disappointed me. I suggest he gets the iPhone 5s because if I had the option I would switch immediately.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
At this point, lack of apps is just an excuse. There are over 155,000 apps in the store, and you CAN find what you need there. You don't NEED the brand name - 6Tag and Instance both work great for Instagram, blah blah blah. Those who say there aren't enough apps are just using it as an excuse.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
At this point, lack of apps is just an excuse. There are over 155,000 apps in the store, and you CAN find what you need there. You don't NEED the brand name - 6Tag and Instance both work great for Instagram, blah blah blah. Those who say there aren't enough apps are just using it as an excuse.

Exactly. The only apps I'm missing are Square and Mint. Cube is a great substitute for Square, so I don't care about Square anymore. And Mint is supposed to release their apps in a few months according to Microsoft.

Also, I find it amazing how people act as if they can't live without this or that app. How were they getting by 4 years ago when none of these apps existed. Windows Phone is such an amazing OS for what it actually is, a smartphone (phone calls, texting, email, calendar, etc.).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

That's not entirely true, in my opinion. One app I am still missing is Trillian (an IM client, in case you don't know). For a while, I used IM+ as a competent substitute, but it no longer functions as one. When I had Trillian on my Android device, my conversations were linked between my PC and my phone. That, and the application simply worked better than IM+, which used to crash a lot (thankfully fixed), but has issues clearing notifications with the live tile (not a big issue, just an bothersome cosmetic one on my home screen). It's just an overall downgrade from Trillian, though I've somewhat managed without it.

However, I will say that games are where the compromise is harder to buy into. While there are clones of games galore on the platform, there are still many major titles missing from the Windows Phone Store. While that might not matter to some, there are others who want something like Candy Crush for the Facebook integration and sharing of scores between friends. Some other games would be Temple Run 2 and Subway Surfers, though they are a bit older (and, therefore, not likely to be complained about as much). Additionally, words With Friends still lacks a decent app. I certainly don't have any major gaps in my app usage, but I would imagine that quite a few folks would find some issues.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Trillian is still around? I guess it's been years since I walked away from chat on my PC that I never thought about it on phone. Still, there are alternatives. And there's no shortage of games. So they're not the same games.... I said, "...NEED..."

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't agree with that. Lack of WP apps, or lack of quality in apps that do exist, is real. Use Facebook as an example. Facebook has hundreds of millions of users, and I'd imagine that most smartphones have the Facebook app installed. Sure, there are a number of Facebook apps for WP, but none are 1st party. And they are not good! Not even Microsoft's.

I've found that equivalent apps, even 1st party, are generally poorer quality on WP than on iOS or Android.

Take your WP and edit a .xls or .doc document. Create a new email and attach a couple documents. Make your phone automatically turn on WiFi when you get home, and turn it off when you leave. Install the Opera browser. Smoked by Windows Phone? Sure, for preplanned processes that you know exactly what to do and practiced so you can do it quickly.

Also, I find it amazing how people act as if they can't live without this or that app. How were they getting by 4 years ago when none of these apps existed. Windows Phone is such an amazing OS for what it actually is, a smartphone (phone calls, texting, email, calendar, etc.).

Ha ha of course we got by 4 years ago, because they didn't exist. How about you go back to a dumbphone? Your parents managed fine without any cell phone at all, didn't they? Why should someone have to live without something when it's readily available?

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Its funny when people "use the lack of apps" because when both android and iPhone came out they lacked apps as well. Once both OSs took off the apps started pouring in. Windows phone is in a chicken or egg situation. Which came first the users or the apps? In order for WP8 to get apps they need users, in order to get users they need apps. It has taken both android and iOS many years to get to as many apps as they have now. WP as the OS stands now is only a few years old. I picked WP because I like the OS, it is different and imo more usable. Once the market share picks up the apps will come and they will balance out. If you like the OS then stick with it and be patient, the apps will come. If everybody jumps ship just because the newest greatest app hasn't made it to WP yet then the OS will never get anywhere.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Its funny when people "use the lack of apps" because when both android and iPhone came out they lacked apps as well. Once both OSs took off the apps started pouring in. Windows phone is in a chicken or egg situation. Which came first the users or the apps? In order for WP8 to get apps they need users, in order to get users they need apps. It has taken both android and iOS many years to get to as many apps as they have now. WP as the OS stands now is only a few years old. I picked WP because I like the OS, it is different and imo more usable. Once the market share picks up the apps will come and they will balance out. If you like the OS then stick with it and be patient, the apps will come. If everybody jumps ship just because the newest greatest app hasn't made it to WP yet then the OS will never get anywhere.

The difference with iOS & Android is that they didn't have competition at the time. There was no alternative that had a more rounded out ecosystem. The same is not true for WP. It has fierce competition. I agree that we need to stick with the ecosystem to make it go anywhere. I carry a WP, but at this point I can't use it as my only phone, or my daily driver. I love the OS, but there's too much missing for me at this point.

In the last 6 months I've bought 6 WPs, 1 iPhone, and no Androids!

emagius

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

As a consumer, I don't have an obligation to suffer in order to make some future Windows Phone better. Neither do you.

Consumers can and should choose the best product on the market for their particular needs.

Right now, if someone wants a smartphone with decent app (or music/video/podcast/browser/multitasking) support, Windows Phone is not a contender. Too bad for Microsoft and WP.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As a consumer, I don't have an obligation to suffer in order to make some future Windows Phone better. Neither do you.

Consumers can and should choose the best product on the market for their particular needs.

Right now, if someone wants a smartphone with decent app (or music/video/podcast/browser/multitasking) support, Windows Phone is not a contender. Too bad for Microsoft and WP.

Thanks, my thoughts exactly, but with more eloquence! To some people the advantages of WP outweigh the shortcomings and they don't feel they are "suffering." To me, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, my thoughts exactly, but with more eloquence! To some people the advantages of WP outweigh the shortcomings and they don't feel they are "suffering." To me, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Then my question is why are you still using Windows Phone if "the disadvantages outweigh the advantages" to you?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Then my question is why are you still using Windows Phone if "the disadvantages outweigh the advantages" to you?

My primary phone is a Nexus 4, but I carry 2 phones so I have a WP as well. I can use both phones for what they do best.

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

I guess this depends on what your definition of suffer is. Having to use an iOS device would make me suffer regardless of what apps I can get. I have never used an Android device outside of a store, so I won't comment there. I had two iPhones before I bought my first Windows Phone. I couldn't be happier, but I am also not a big app ***** either. Even then, there are a select few apps I can get on my Windows Phone that do not exist for the iPhone as far as I know. The iPhone doesn't have anything similar to Nokia Conference as far as I know. I also love apps like CycloMeter. There is no Strava app for Windows Phone, but CycloMeter is way better than the Strava 1st party app that I used on the iPhone. It uses the Nokia offline maps which saves on battery, and has quite a few features that Strava doesn't have. I could keep going, but you get the point. On the flip side there are only two apps I can't get, and they are both niche apps that I can easily live without. One of the two will be available sometime next year.

My wife just recently got a new iPhone, and I hear her make comments and grumble about things that are not an issue with my Windows Phone. At least for me, the quality of the OS is playing a far larger role in my happiness than those couple apps that I can't use. So once again, suffer is a relative term.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Trillian is still around? I guess it's been years since I walked away from chat on my PC that I never thought about it on phone. Still, there are alternatives. And there's no shortage of games. So they're not the same games.... I said, "...NEED..."

Ok, if you want to play the "need" game, then nothing about a smartphone is "needed." Smartphones are primarily luxury devices, and the things people might argue are "needed" from them are available on flip phones (calling, texting, and minimal Internet usage).

baylorbear134

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Decided on the 5S and ordered it today. I'll post my thoughts on the switch after using it for a few days. Went to the AT&T store today to mess around with the phones. I compared the 5S screen size up next to my 920 and the huge difference almost scared me out of doing it though, haha.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Cool curious to hear your opinions. I pick up and play around with my wife's iP5 all the time...theres pros and cons for both imo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos