Android to Nokia

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Is it still possible for Nokia to release an android phone since Microsofts deal goes through later on next month? So is it still possible and is Nokia technically allowed to still release an android phone even though it would be a slap to microsofts face.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Until the sale goes through, I'm pretty sure that the previous contract is still intact, which I think prohibits Nokia from making a non-WP smartphone. So no, I don't think it's possible. Also, why would you even want that? Say they put out an Android phone tomorrow, and then the MS sale goes through...then you're stuck with a phone that's pretty much guaranteed to have no support.

...though I guess that's the status quo when it comes to Android devices. BA-ZING!

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
After the deal is completed do you really think that Nokia will have the resources needed to make a phone? I mean the devices division will be sold. If they want to make phones again (good ones) they would have to start everything from scratch, that would take years! And Nokia isn't interested in making more phones... If they were why would they sell their devices division? Think man!

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
some updates for u guys:
1. nokia do had android devices in testing.
2. after selling handset division, nokia cannot go into smartphone business till 2015 as per the deal.
3. deal means there must be something in exchange. if nokia has sold their business, they must be getting money out of it, that is resources. they r not gifting it to Microsoft.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Nokia that is left still has 41 000 people and Nokia Research units will be left to them, their Devices R&D will be moved to MS. What exact R&D units those are we don't know, other than Cambridge material research and Nokia's Helsinki reseach unit. Naturally all of the NSN R&D units will remain in Nokia, that is by far largest part of Nokia's R&D.

Nokia's Michael Halbher was interviewed this week and he said that nothing stops Nokia making devices and they are making concepts for new form of devices. Though Nokia can't use Nokia brand in "mobile devices" till the start of 2016.
What does Nokia’s future hold? | WPSailors

I personally don't believe Nokia will be jumping on traditional Android phones. They have over 10 billion euros in their bank and most of all profitable business after Devices business is sold to MS. They will be making devices combined to their nano and graphene research and will possibly need Android or they just buy Jolla to use Sailfish, but I don't think they want to ruin their now profitable business by jumping to tarditional smartphone market any time soon.

After the deal is completed do you really think that Nokia will have the resources needed to make a phone? I mean the devices division will be sold. If they want to make phones again (good ones) they would have to start everything from scratch, that would take years! And Nokia isn't interested in making more phones... If they were why would they sell their devices division? Think man!
Because that Device unit is the only non profitable part of Nokia at losing 1 billion euros yearly. Windows Phone strategy also failed and their phone sales are coming down at alarming level. Now they were able to get out of the MS partnership and can start fresh with plenty of cash and without the heavy factoy base like Apple and don't have the cheap phones sales on their necks anymore.
Though like I said, I doubt that fresh start will mean traditional smartphones for them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos