Im considering saying goodbye to Nokia,and maybe even Windows Phone (never thought i would say this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Peacock93.
It's too personal to ask others. Do what you want, and live with your decision.

For 10 years I pounded out emails and texts and made hotel reservations and took phone calls and used select apps on a BlackBerry. Some people thought I was a Dinosaur. What did I care? The Berries saw me through building two companies and performed flawlessly. I still have a 9780 that is 4 years old and runs like a Swiss watch.

I found WP8 because I like to expand my horizons. I'm glad I did. I enjoy it. It works for me.

Do what you think is best. You'll at least own the decision by doing so.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I used a Nokia Lumia 810 and my only issue with it was that it would freeze when I played Words with Friends. Of course, that was an app issue, not a phone problem. I now use a 920 and have zero issues with it. I switched to WP8 from an iPhone 4 and couldn't be happier.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Well... there is no point asking Microsoft what it thinks about switching to another os from WP. Not if you'd like to have an objective point anyway.
It would be better asking to people who doesn't have a blind love for WP.

So it is your opinion it would be better to ask someone who has blind love for Android whether to switch? Let the OP ask where they like, the responses will vary depending on the forumn.

As for me, I have had my 920 since release. Before that I had the HTC Tilt(WM 6), Samsung Focus, and the HTC Titan. The only problem I have had with the 920 is random restarting. That went away a while ago after an update. And speaking of updates, my cog spin has been longer than advertised time ( < 1 hour) . Nail bitting, but nowhere near what you have reported. Usually a software issue can be reproduced, but since this is not the case, hypothetically it could be hardware related? (RAM/ROM issue of a few devices?) I'll end my speculation and mention what I know... Nokia has the best customer care and Microsoft is all in with the smartphone enterprise. There may be a few phones with any OEM/OS that has issues. What you have to consider is the support behind the phone and support's attention to you. My next phone will be the 1520.

higginsworld

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why people come on here to ask for advice about leaving a specific Windows Phone Hardware manufacturer or switching to Android or iOS?? Especially on a Windows Phone site and asking about leaving Windows Phone! It should always be a personal decision. I switched from HTC to Nokia because we had two HTC Titans that the screens went out on. Twice on one of them and three times on the other one. Once they were out of factory warranty I switched my wife and I over to 920s. In over a year we have not had a single problem. So, for me and my experience HTC failed me and Nokia has been phenomenal. I have two daughters and one of them uses a iPhone 4s and the other a Samsung Galaxy S3. They have both had problems with Hardware, the OSs and apps. My daughter with the Galaxy S3 more so than I could ever believe!! And even an Otterbox has not saved my daughters iPhone from what I would consider small distance drops. My parents both use iPhone 4s's and they have never once had any problems with their phones, probably because they basically only use them as phones. So, you just need to make a decision that you feel best works for you.

**just tried to post this but think it failed so hope in not repeating myself**

I guess what i wanted out of this post was to hear other peoples' experience of their devices, and also like yourself perhaps experience of close friends family who have had similar things with iphone or android. I wanted to ask it on here cos i really like WP and i guess i sort of wanted persuading that i was just having bad luck.

Over the past couple of days I've been looking at some android phones and i really do not like what i see, the phones seem really nice, but the OS i just don't get, it seems boring, and i don't really understand why some people would get a kick out of having 5 different ways to display a battery icon. I had a Nexus 7 for a while and i can see from my research that that is it, that's the OS that's on every phone for android, even with oems customisations. I couldn't cope with how bad the Samsung version of android looks either, even though they sell the most phones, its just ugly.

Anyway ill stop whining :p im gonna stick with WP, the others just don't cut it, and looking forward to what WP has to bring with future updates, and fingers crossed my bad luck is over!

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually, even a bricked Lumia still runs better than any Android phone. I'd stick with Windows Phone. Android was so bad. So so bad. I'll never go back.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I love my phone (1020) and have experienced just about all of the problems listed in this forum, lol.

But no other phone quite does it for me. The only platform I would even consider is the iOS (since the most recent update to 7). But even then, it doesn't quite make me feel like it would suit my needs and the way I use my phone.

Live tiles and the way I use the back button, I would just miss it all far too much!!!

My biggest gripe is the resale value, lol! I sold my 920 (in near perfect condition - and the third one I owned) for ?150! Less than a year old! Bought a 1020 - ATT from ebay, I live in the UK - which wasn't covered under the Nokia Europe warranty which I had to sell for that reason! Paid ?550, sold it a week later for ?350!

So annoying that other phones hold there value so much better.

Ultimately though, every phone has problems. My mum's iphone has the odd issue here and there and a lot of friends have issue with their androids too.

It may be that after jumping to another platform, you may well come back. Although, equally, you may find one that suits your needs better.

Good luck to you either way.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll probably go iPhone next year if bigger screen. After 5 920 replacements my self, two for my dad, one for stepmom, one for niece after her phone bricked after wireless charge and another family member bricked out of box,wp8 seems to be unreliable.

Nokia gave me a 1020 for my troubles and yes, the first one they gave me was defective too. On my 2nd 1020 so far so good, but I'm tired of going through all this crap every few months.

In the past, the three iPhone models I had never had to do an exchange one. The last iPhone I had was the 4 and my wife had been using it for 3 years now.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Well if there's one thing for sure...I'm too hesitant to recommend WP8 to anyone because there is no way that I am just that unlucky.

I love the platform and tbh, only moved onto it because of Nokia. Now the ads are even trying to distant themselves from the Nokia brand and concentrate on windows phone.

That's fair enough, but my trust in Microsoft is a little less than for Nokia. All the failures, imo, are based on how Microsoft operate. Nokia has helped give it some relevance. But they have issues too. But at least they go out of their way to try and make up the shortcomings of the platform.

And if third party devs can add features that Microsoft struggle with...well that just makes it all the more sadder!

Do I love Nokia/WP8? Yes.

Would I recommended it? Not at this time...even though I really want to. Because when it works, it works so well. But 'when' isn't good enough. I say that with a heavy heart.

zombiedonuts

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
First time my phone bricked on me was this Friday night. I'm trying this Nokia software updater. I hope it works. As for Nokia itself. They have great phones. My previous Nokia was a 2610, a tiny little thing, but rarely gave me problems. I wish I can find the charger for it, so I can use it as a backup.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
All major platforms have their faults and issues...kinda miss the old Symbian devices from 2006...though I wouldn't mind getting a 3310 again :D

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
nexus 5 appears to be an interesting device.

Yes, I had no idea it would be so cheap. Granted it has no expandability, but $399 for a 32gb phone with the top of the line android hardware, with no contract is amazing. If I was not tied to ATT with a family plan I would be ditching and going with Tmobile. Since I have a grandfathered unlimited plan and have subsidized fees in my contract I am still leaning towards the Note3. Since going to 7.8 my titan has had more freezes, lags, and restarts than on 7.5. HTC and ATT will not do anything to keep this phone up to date and MSFT decided to also not support my 1 year old device when WP8 came out. Those are the main reasons I am leaving. Marketplace is still lacking as well also giving me little reason to stay. Well, actually I am unsure. Most apps I read about have nothing for my phone when I follow a link to the marketplace.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I had no idea it would be so cheap. Granted it has no expandability, but $399 for a 32gb phone with the top of the line android hardware, with no contract is amazing. If I was not tied to ATT with a family plan I would be ditching and going with Tmobile. Since I have a grandfathered unlimited plan and have subsidized fees in my contract I am still leaning towards the Note3. Since going to 7.8 my titan has had more freezes, lags, and restarts than on 7.5. HTC and ATT will not do anything to keep this phone up to date and MSFT decided to also not support my 1 year old device when WP8 came out. Those are the main reasons I am leaving. Marketplace is still lacking as well also giving me little reason to stay. Well, actually I am unsure. Most apps I read about have nothing for my phone when I follow a link to the marketplace.

Titans are set free when you install a Deepshining ROM. Can't do much about some apps, but it's great to run the nice Nokia apps on an HTC device.

json jett

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
So, you sold some innocent soul a lemon...
I purchased the 920 on Day One, and have had no problem whatsoever. Passed it on to a brother-in-law last month, and acquired the 1020. My wife plans to get the 1520 as soon as it is available. (I am in NYC, on AT&T)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo