Is Nokia Here Drive a GPS replacement?

Billy Gun

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm planning to buy a Lumia device and one of the main features that I would like to use is the car Drive GPS, so, my question is:

Does the Nokia Here Drive works well as a car "gps" replacement?

Ps. I tryed to find videos on youtube and I didn't found good videos about it.

outback15

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
There is a difference between Here Drive and Here Drive +. Here Drive is region specific while Here Drive + allows download of any map worldwide. The + is available on the highend Lumias(920,1020,etc). I find it to be very good.

Billy Gun

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much outback, I am not sure (since I don't own a device) but seams that there is a map for Brazil to download.

I didn't know that this was for the "+", and that it was only for the highends, I was not sure about witch one to peak, but now I'm sure I'll take a lumia 920.

Thank you very much

replay0

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm a California native. I went to Germany and Austria on a one month road trip last month. Here Drive+ basically was basically my driving/foot GPS the entire time, and served admirably. All I had to do before traveling was download the map packs for Germany and Austria. I didn't have to waste any money bringing an additional hiking GPS, or rent a car GPS along with my rental car. Definitely recommend Nokia Here Drive+.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I love drive and it is my goto 80% of the time. I only use my old Magellan when I want to save the battery on my phone or when drive gives me a bogus route... Accurate, just a much, much longer route.. Just Thursday,I needed to go 20 miles from the east bay to south san Francisco... It had me on an 81 mile route around the south bay up to my destination. I will look at my settings to see if something is avoided or so.

This app has out performed iPhone GPS constantly (my friends) and lost a time or two against a nexus.. But what about when no data connection? Hands Down drive!

Billy Gun

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much Replay0, this is what I want to know, if it realy works well. I own a "car" GPS, but the phone will be always on my hand, so one day that I'm not on my car, I can easily find directions.

+ Good camera
+ MS Office
+ GPS (without net conection)

This Is what made me decide for a Windows Phone

Thanks again

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I love drive and it is my goto 80% of the time. I only use my old Magellan when I want to save the battery on my phone or when drive gives me a bogus route... Accurate, just a much, much longer route.. Just Thursday,I needed to go 20 miles from the east bay to south san Francisco... It had me on an 81 mile route around the south bay up to my destination. I will look at my settings to see if something is avoided or so.

This app has out performed iPhone GPS constantly (my friends) and lost a time or two against a nexus.. But what about when no data connection? Hands Down drive!

Well it looks like I had toll roads disabled... User error. Did app is solid!!! I still have a Lumia 900 that is use as a GPS unit.

Went to Tahoe a month and half ago and the iPhone has us at the wrong cabin area... Wrong side of town. My 920 had us going the wrote way. Just verify your routes 😊

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I posted this back in May in the 521 section.

I used Nokia Drive for the first time a couple of nights ago and I am very impressed. I was in Boston and there is this back way out to 24S that I consistently screw up especially if it is getting dark. I have been amazed at how fast it gets a lock on the satellites. Then I realized it was also using cell tower locations. This is a real advantage over regular GPS "garmin". One of the things I wanted the 521 to do was replace the Garmin that I had sold. The spoken directions were superior and I liked the map layout. I used 10% of the battery in about 30 minutes "no car charger yet". It was an all around good experience.

T mobile really has Boston covered, 5 bars most of the places I checked. Wish it was that good on the south coast. The wifi calling is such a bonus as I got the phone before it was announced. I may replace it with something like the 925 but not for quite a while and then it will be a spare.

Vikram Dinesh

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Is the only way to get traffic info set up a my Commute ?

As of now yes, that is the only way to get traffic information. But I find this a little silly because they already have the traffic data. So why not display it while doing regular navigation and not have to set up a commute.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I used my L920 for my round trip from Mid Ohio to Orlando Florida. Over 40 hours worth of driving and no problems.

Vikram Dinesh

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Is the only way to get traffic info set up a my Commute ?

As of now yes, that is the only way to get traffic information. But I find this a little silly because they already have the traffic data. So why not display it while doing regular navigation and not have to set up a commute.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
One reason I still keep my Nokia Lumia 610 :)

But I wish, and will never happen, that there is Waze in Widows Phone.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Just want to clarify the "+" issue, its not region specific, you can download any map you want, and almost every country is available for download.

Downloaded maps can be used with all Here Apps, like Here maps, Here explore, here drive*, and here drive+ (**)...

(*) Here Drive will only activate the map of the first country you use it with (or based on the simcard installed in the device the first time you started the app), and so, if you travel while your device only has Here Drive, you wont be able to use the app with the other countries maps (although you have them Downloaded - and you can still use Here Maps to find you way around)

(**) Here Drive+ comes pre-installed on high-end Lumias

The beauty of Nokia, if you dont need a high-end device, and you still travel a lot, and feeling bad for only having Here Drive, you can upgrade Here Drive to Here Drive+ with only $19.99. which is amazing. :D which is actually what i did. but i was kinda forced to do it because i didnt know this whole thing :D :D

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Oh forgot to mention that yes, you can use it as a replacement for a GPS, i use it all the time.

but you better get a car stand maybe with a charger, because you dont want you mobile phone out of charge when you reach your destination.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077