2013 Flagship Showdown.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am currently in a mobile no-mans land. The currentsituation with BlackBerry has left me without a clear mobile platform to sinkmy teeth into. I have made a list of what for me is the top device from eachplatform . Seeing as I don?t own any ofthese phones, in fact some aren?t even released yet, I need true userexperience to make a decision on which one to make my own. I am posting on eachof the mobile sites so I can get the most information possible for each phone. I hope over the next couple of weeks as eachone hits the market I can get some great information on these phones to help memake a decision. Nothing beats first hand experience with a phone, both goodand bad. In the case where the phones haven?t been released, your thoughts onhow you think they will stack up is also greatly appreciated. Hopefully I willget more feedback once they are released as well. If you own more than one ofthe devices your opinion on which one you prefer and why is also appreciated. Iam also interested in your opinion on how you think your phone stacks upagainst the others on the list. Thanks for your help in advance.
iPhone 5S
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Nokia 1520
BlackBerry Z30

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You're asking such a broad question. How do these phones stack up? Well, it's largely dependent on your lifestyle, habits, wants and needs.

What do you use your phone for? What do you do with your current phone? What tasks are you trying to accomplish every day?

What do you like about your current phone?

What do you dislike about your current phone?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Those phones are so different. 3 phones +5" and then the tiny iPhone. Haha.

First off, you should decide what ecosystem you really want to be tied to. Or will you even be. Will you use music services from either company? iTunes, Google, Xbox Music? Would you be upset to buy some games/Apps and then decide you want a new platform on your next phone? What do you NEED from your phone? How will you use it? Any Apps you must have?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the others. Your question is so vague I do not believe anyone could give you a straight answer. Please give some thought as to what you use your device for.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I use my phone for everything. Media, communication, a little bit of work including office. I guess I'm looking for peoples opinion on how well the phone is working for them. Would they recommend it to others. Would they not recommend to people for a certain reason. Are there little things that they find special about it. First hand users experiences not a reviewers brief opinion.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also I know that the 1520 is the only phone on the list that hasn't been released anywhere yet so it's harder to get a full picture of what it can do yet. That being said it's still on my short list of devices to chose from.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I can say what I use my phone for.

I like that I can post and respond to Twitter or Facebook using my ME tile. I don't have to open an app. But if I want to do anything deep, I will use an app.

I like that I can create groups of people in my People tile so I can see the updates from just them. All of the different kinds of updates without opening apps. No need to open chat, then text,then Facebook, then Twitter. It's all there.

I like that when I select someone in my People tile I can see all the latest correspondence with them. Text, Messenger Chat (though I think it's using Skype technically now), emails... And I can see all of their public albums that I've linked so I can see latest pictures.

I pin the things I most access to the Start Screen. Not just particular apps, but also profiles, photo albums or web pages too. And of course I can pin groups.

I like that I can view my Excel, Word, and Powerpoint files easily. I've often made some corrections on the go.

SkyDrive integration is big for me because that is my hub for all my on-the-go files.

I'm not a huge app person. I use a few and haven't been bothered that some official apps are missing. There are very good unofficial apps. Even when official apps are available I've found myself using 3rd party versions often.

I guess what I really love is that everything is very task-centric on WP. It's organized by what you want to do and hives you a fast, fluid, and efficient way of doing it. No headaches.

iOS and Android are app-centric, where the core structure of the OS wasn't necessarily built for the fastest and quickest way to accomplish a task. It's very dependent on the apps you have.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Going off how you prefer to communicate, WP or BB10 sound like the better options. I'm a fan of both platforms, myself, although my use with BB10 is very limited.

I have seen BB10 devices with the Android Skydrive App on them. You also may be able to use Skydrive right in the browser, as I think BB10 has a nice file system for uploading and downloading in the browser. I know the Playbook does and I assume BB10 carried that over. It obviously won't be as integrated at WP.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
To someone i don't know i always say buy the 5s. 2 in the family, both get used hard, no problems. You will get updates, have good resale, and can easily be repaired\replaced if you have an apple store nearby.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
To someone i don't know i always say buy the 5s. 2 in the family, both get used hard, no problems. You will get updates, have good resale, and can easily be repaired\replaced if you have an apple store nearby.

Though those are valid reasoning points they have nothing to do with what the OP is asking. I can say the same for nearly everything you just stated using a Nokia device as example.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Though those are valid reasoning points they have nothing to do with what the OP is asking. I can say the same for nearly everything you just stated using a Nokia device as example.

You just got done saying his question was vague, i thought my answer was right on. Lets see, samsung update speed sucks and you have to send the turd in to get it fixed. Nokia, depending upon carrier, can be tough to get updates, have less demand upon resale, can't get repaired locally, and according to many posts in these forums, will cause others to mock you if you have it. Iphone 5s is probably the best all around right now. My personal phone is a lumia 920 and i really like it, but i know its plus and minus status .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon