6tag geotags photos even when photo map is off (bug)

Jonny Reno

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that all the photos I've uploaded using 6tag recently (I believe since the last update) are showing location information. This happens when the photo map option is disabled, but phonewide location services are turned on.

This seems to be a major bug, since I was under the impression the photo map slider - which prompts you regarding adding your GPS position when you enable it - was the only way to geotag a photo. For the time being, I've disabled location services from the phone settings, since I tend to use navigation less than 6tag, but I wanted to make others aware of this in case they're sharing their location when they think they aren't.

The easiest way to verify this is by checking your SkyDrive backup photos. Click on a 6tag photo, and you'll immediately see a map pop up on the right side (showing convenience places to abduct your children and whatnot). The geotagging only seems to go back to the last major update, when the location-aware features were added.

If anyone knows of a setting that disables GPS position within the app, please let me know. I'm using a Lumia 810, if that's helpful for anyone tracking bugs. Thanks!

Jonny Reno

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's not a bug? It appears from the description that is how it is supposed to work.

The app seems to be very careful about warning you when you're about to share GPS info. It prompts you prior to enabling any feature that would show your location, but then adds your location anyway, regardless of whether you leave the option turned off. It definitely seems to related to the updates in the article you linked, but it looks like it's not implemented correctly.

As far as I can tell, you're always sharing your location (when location services phone-wide are enabled), even though it looks like you aren't. This came as a surprise to me, when I noticed I was showing all my Instagram acquaintances my home address...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss