Instagram ,Vine & Flipboard - Will this be enough !!

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
we have heard of new nokia devices and most importantly the major apps coming to windows phone platform like instagram and flipboard .
But do you guys feel that the recent announcements in nokia world and an upcoming GDR3 will improve windows phone share in the coming days.
People in my office who are buying new mobile phones does checkout the 920 with me but still prefer Android over WP8. i feel its due to the lagging ecosystem.
I am so keen to know if windows phone Os can outrun android in the near future with these big apps that are coming on board in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Junaid96

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
We already had Instagram and Vine with 6tag and 6sec so I honestly don't care about the announcement of those two additions. To me, there really is no difference whether it's "official" support of the app or not unless I have to sacrifice functionality... but I highly doubt these official apps will add any extra features to what we already have with our third-party alternatives so it really makes no difference to me.

What they really need to develop an app for is Snapchat, as there is currently no competent third-party alternative at all for that app. I'm disappointed to hear that there's still no word on a release of it... I mean come on, Snapchat's been one of the most popular apps on iOS and Android for ages now.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't really understand the competitiveness thinking of what I can only call the 'mobile wars'.

I think it's best to get what works for you and that's it. I know lots of people don't think too much about their purchases, normally it's getting what your friend has or what someone recommends.

Having proprietary apps is a first step in attracting more people to the platform because there will be less excuses and it 'looks' better from an image perspective. However, WP is a bit behind in the apps department and if that's a priority for you then you're on the wrong platform. That's the main issue with WP. Yes these apps will help but more needs to come before people see it as a true alternative.

Thing is, Nokia maybe cool (while it lasts) but anything with the Windows name isn't. Not that I'm dissing the Windows name I just think they have to give up on the idea of being cool and stick to what WP does best.

What does the future hold? Who knows? Maybe Android will die one day and Samsung will have it's own OS and Google will adopt Firefox. We simply don't know.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Whether you actually use instagram, vine or whatever doesn't matter, but its a HUGE plus for the platform. Your everyday mom and pop or anyone on the fence who isn't hip to WPCentral look for those apps. They don't care about 6sec or any other 3rd party app, as great as they may be, they're not official, and that's what the unaware want.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
are all of these Nokia exclusives?
If so then im going to android, I feel like i wasted 3 months of saying "flipboard is coming, then i won't need to change" but its just a Nokia exclusive.
This is the worst part of the WP8 experience.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It'll be enough for whoever uses it but for tech sites like theverge, never. They'll find a way to undermine Nokia / Microsoft.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Here is my take on Instagram. This company has pretty much s&(^ on us for the pas two years. After several third party developers spent a lot of their time, and money to develop apps for trhis platform here they finally come. Its likely their change of heart comes due to their own faultering sales / marketshare.

My thought. Everyone in this community should write this company and tell them to take their "official" app and shove it! They are a s%(@#y company run by immature people who hold grudges.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Here is my take on Instagram. This company has pretty much s&(^ on us for the pas two years. After several third party developers spent a lot of their time, and money to develop apps for trhis platform here they finally come. Its likely their change of heart comes due to their own faultering sales / marketshare.

My thought. Everyone in this community should write this company and tell them to take their "official" app and shove it! They are a s%(@#y company run by immature people who hold grudges.

You're being immature and holding a grudge just by saying that...

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
are all of these Nokia exclusives?
If so then im going to android, I feel like i wasted 3 months of saying "flipboard is coming, then i won't need to change" but its just a Nokia exclusive.
This is the worst part of the WP8 experience.
just do the WiFi workaround. They release most of their exclusives after a while if the public shows enough interest.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
We already had Instagram and Vine with 6tag and 6sec so I honestly don't care about the announcement of those two additions. To me, there really is no difference whether it's "official" support of the app or not unless I have to sacrifice functionality... but I highly doubt these official apps will add any extra features to what we already have with our third-party alternatives so it really makes no difference to me.

What they really need to develop an app for is Snapchat, as there is currently no competent third-party alternative at all for that app. I'm disappointed to hear that there's still no word on a release of it... I mean come on, Snapchat's been one of the most popular apps on iOS and Android for ages now.

They don't really make any difference for us because we already know them. For the person that doesn't even know those alternatives exist and that is undecided between the three OS, these announcements are good news.

Windows 8 need games like candy crush and more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't really get all the hype around Candy Crush... To me it's just a cheap rip-off of Bejeweled.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
It will never be enough, what will be enough is when Wp8 is one of the three platforms to get apps first. Right now, 2 platforms usually get the apps first, ios and andoird and ios i believe typically gets apps first. Wp8 needs to be in the conversation when new apps release, needs to be same time. If wp8 ever reach that level, then the platform has reached a great level of sucess. Instead of begging apps to come, they will come and they can focus on other things and development of new 1st party apps like what nokia has been doing.

Right now, wp8 gets these apps, but the what about the next big apps, right now candy crush is a popular game and clash of clans, they are no where in sight when it comes to wp8. There will always be a big badder app or game, wp8 needs to get to the point they are getting those apps right away like the other platform that is when it is "enough", but in reality, enough is never enough, each platform needs to continue to grow and expand.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Nope, not enough. The goalposts are already being moved by the Anti-MS brigade. Next complaint will probably be something done like lack of candy crush. Expect a full page article from CNET about how WP is horrible and murders your cat because it does not have Candy Crush. :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99