Anyone actually still excited for official app?

robertino23

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Let me get this out of the way: FINALLY! This is the big push WP needed to really make an impact on the market. For the average user, it doesn't matter how many third party apps are out there. If there's no official app, they've lost interest. Now that WP has the official Instagram seal of approval, many more people will be flocking to the WP operating system. It's all about the name, folks. However, what about us techies who already use such third party apps, like Instance or 6tag?

When I had a Lumia 928 (now on Android, long story) I loved 6tag. It had everything I needed to post to Instagram, and view my friends' pictures/videos. If I still had a WP, why should I care that the official app is coming? I love supporting up-and-coming developers like Rudy Huyn. Rumor has it that the official IG app had been created a long time ago, but Instagram and Microsoft were still hashing out the terms for a while. Why should I leave a third-party app, created by one developer on his own time and money to go to a big company's official app that they waited to release?

Are there any current WP users who have been waiting for the official app? Why? I don't see any problems with the current apps we already have (I still consider myself as a WP fan, just waiting until the next generation is released :winktongue:). This announcement is a huge deal for Microsoft/Nokia, but to those of us already using WP, I guess I'm just not as hyped up as I would have been a year ago.

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way. Instagram was announced today, and that makes me happy as we are getting official popular apps, but when its released I don't think I'll use it because 6tag is such a nice alternative with more features. Same goes for vine and 6sec. Hopefully it does bring more people in though

Ps Rudy tweeted earlier that he just made a snapchat app (6snap) and that an official one will probably launch in two months

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a huge use of Instagram or Vine, yet have 6sec and 6tag loaded up. Id be probably using the official apps when they get announced due to bragging rights at work etc as ios and droid users wont recognise the names of the third party apps and think they are subpar to the official, even tho they are far better imo.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
6tag is going to get blocked, whether we like it or not. I love 6tag and it's far more advanced than official Instagram app, which is what will get 6tag blocked.

Chief_Adu

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
6tag is going to get blocked, whether we like it or not. I love 6tag and it's far more advanced than official Instagram app, which is what will get 6tag blocked.

I'd like to see some prove for this statement. Why would it get blocked? There are plenty of third-party applications on Android and iOS, so why would 6tag and Instance get blocked?

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a user of Instagram but glad that an official app is coming to the WP. Hopefully when Instagram and a couple of other major apps arrive to the WP, that they finally shut about the lack of apps in the WP. Even today, without Instagram, there are many quality apps. I think it's more that they are feeling insecure of their preferred OS because WP is coming up.

LongLeggs

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see some prove for this statement. Why would it get blocked? There are plenty of third-party applications on Android and iOS, so why would 6tag and Instance get blocked?

Because it's part of the agreement that was made.... do you want mustard with your words or mayo?

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I for one won't be switching apps. 6tag has been a phenomenal Instagram client for me. I don't care much for the official app anymore. 6tag tops the official Instagram app on all other platforms in UI and feature set. Why would i give that up? So in closing, for the regular folks, official Instagram is a definite boon for the WP platform. But for the techies amongst us, we're good. Well at least i am.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only person stunned by the horrible attitude of posters about this?

For as long as I've been coming to WPcentral people have been asking, begging, whining, crying about Instagram. Now that its coming people are like 'who care? Screw them'

Seriously?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

For as long as I've been coming to WPcentral people have been asking, begging, whining, crying about Instagram. Now that its coming people are like 'who care? Screw them'

Seriously?

The horrible attitude started with Instagram / Kevin Systrom. ;)

robertino23

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

Seriously?

Before we had such good third-party apps, yes we all wanted Instagram. Now that we have these apps, we don't really need the official one. I think its great that IG is coming to WP8 officially, but its not necessary.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Seriously?

Well let's see what type of quality they bring to the table first. How will they support the platform and so on. 3rd party apps have filled the gap nicely and support the platform very well.

eroselim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Excited due to the fact that I haven't use 6tag before. But I think, just for me. The official App would be a better one to choose from, and Rudy's 6tag as an alternative. The fact that , it is obvious that Official App may have all the functionality / option, but still, I Appreciate and is salute to Sir Rudy for creating 6tag.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Seriously?
Honestly giventhe treatment instagram has had in the past for windows fan, I honestly can't say that these people posting are in the wrong.

They are a smug company and it's ashame that even before announcing the app they acted as if the windows community was sub par to other os

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Seriously?

I pretty much expected it. The WPC community is a hard one to please.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly giventhe treatment instagram has had in the past for windows fan, I honestly can't say that these people posting are in the wrong.

They are a smug company and it's ashame that even before announcing the app they acted as if the windows community was sub par to other os

I was thinking over what Stephen Elop was saying in the presentation, and I don't recall hearing for sure whether or not the app was official. I don't remember him making that clear. But I live in the US so it was in the middle of the night. I could have missed something! :asleep: Is Instagram developing the app, or is Microsoft? I assumed it was Instagram, but later I was 2nd guessing myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss