Lyft app

Quin 2013

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Would love see a lyft app.
I hate the fact that standard taxy take a hell of a long time to arrive, vs you actually know when lyft driver will be there to pick you up.

Unfortunately lyft does not service those Windows Phone, so we're S.O.L.

I sent them an email, and I ki da hoping those of you who know about lyft will also join me and send them emails asking for an app.

Quin 2013

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
This has to be the ****tiest reply ever:

Thanks for writing in! I am sorry you feel that we were dismissing the fact that you have a windows phone. At the moment, Lyft is focusing on streamlining the application on Android and iPhone operating systems. Other platforms may be introduced somewhere down the line; however, there are no immediate plans to roll out any new additions to platform.

If you are curious and want to take a ride with the pink mustache, it is more than all right to have a friend or family member request a Lyft for you!

Best,
Megan L.
Lyft Experience Representative

Help Desk -- help.lyft.com
Lyft Blog -- blog.lyft.com
Lyft Twitter -- twitter.com/lyft

petteriusa

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I also wrote in and requested a Windows Phone version. The reply I got was the same:

Thanks for writing in! At the moment, Lyft is focusing on streamlining the application on Android and iPhone operating systems. Other platforms may be introduced somewhere down the line; however, there are no immediate plans to roll out any new additions to platform.

Keep up the pressure!

seita

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I contacted them about getting it for WP. Here's a little snippet of their response~

"Mostly due to engineering constraints and limited marketshare of Windows Phone. Kind of a bummer, I know. That may change if you keep evangelizing for WP though and we get enough demand."

demand demand demand!! The GF was really bummed out when she found out there was no Lyft app, so she's thinking about switching platforms after constantly being denied an app she wants. It doesn't help our cause, lets get on this!

Rakeeshj

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Are people emailing and Tweeting and Facebooking Lyft and Uber or is it just me? :) They need to KNOW and HEAR the demand.

It would probably be wiser to focus on getting demand for Windows Phone up first. When you face a chicken and egg problem like this, it only makes sense to have more eggs so they can mature. Android users faced the same problem and it wasn't resolved until it saw massive adoption, which Windows Phone hasn't seen yet (it grew quickly a year ago but has been stagnant for a while.)

Alternatively you push developers towards a platform that after supporting they find that the demand was more noise than substance, and after having a bad taste in their mouth they never look at the platform again.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
It would probably be wiser to focus on getting demand for Windows Phone up first. When you face a chicken and egg problem like this, it only makes sense to have more eggs so they can mature. Android users faced the same problem and it wasn't resolved until it saw massive adoption, which Windows Phone hasn't seen yet (it grew quickly a year ago but has been stagnant for a while.)

Alternatively you push developers towards a platform that after supporting they find that the demand was more noise than substance, and after having a bad taste in their mouth they never look at the platform again.

I disagree. I remember Mac users doing the same thing and their market share is still significantly below Windows. Developers make plenty of money on Mac. Regardless of market share percentage, they're are still millions on Windows phone users and it is easier to reach a higher percentage of that pool. There is profit to be made. If not, we would have no apps at all.

The problem with your analysis is that the eggs aren't coming without the chickens. I have had ridiculous conversations with people interested in Nokia camera technology, buy they were convinced that there were no apps on the platform. One person was even under the impression that Windows phone didn't even have ships available and that it was a fancy feature phone. No, lobbying seems the more prudent approach, to me.

Wouldn't the "bad taste" you speak of pertain to users too? What is they come over here and can't get a ride like they can on Android and iPhone??

Rakeeshj

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. I remember Mac users doing the same thing and their market share is still significantly below Windows. Developers make plenty of money on Mac. Regardless of market share percentage, they're are still millions on Windows phone users and it is easier to reach a higher percentage of that pool. There is profit to be made. If not, we would have no apps at all.

That's not really an apple's to apple's comparison (no pun intended.) It's all about the user demographic. Apple users tend to be very "spendy," i.e. they're the most likely of most tech demographics to actually pay money towards anything that their applications do. Whether that comes in the form of paying for the apps themselves, or shopping the most (notably, in spite of Apple's comparatively small market share to Android, they still spend more via their phones, and not necessarily even on anything related to the phone itself.)

Windows Phone, good or bad, does not offer that. In fact most of those "millions" you speak of actually buy low end Windows Phones, and barely spend anything on the apps, let alone the services. Furthermore, Lyft is a US company that operates in the US. Most of these "millions" of Windows Phone users you speak of are in developing countries and wouldn't use Lyft's services. Lyft is talking about expanding internationally, but I don't think any of the markets they're expanding into are popular markets for Windows Phone.

But, don't take my word for it. http://news.yahoo.com/windows-phone-thriving-low-end-dying-high-end-213021720.html

This is the only driver in why, for example, in spite of Apple not being anywhere close to the top in market share (that is, they're a distant second) they still get market exclusives without the need for Apple to pay off the developer to stay exclusive.

I have had ridiculous conversations with people interested in Nokia camera technology, buy they were convinced that there were no apps on the platform. One person was even under the impression that Windows phone didn't even have ships available and that it was a fancy feature phone. No, lobbying seems the more prudent approach, to me.

That really depends on what their intended use for the phone is. It ultimately isn't about the number of apps available (Google and Apple stopped counting apps a long time ago for this reason; countless apps duplicate the functionality of one another so badly that it's just utterly pointless.) Windows Phone suffers from another problem entirely that I'll get to in a minute, but it begins with this: What matters is whether YOUR apps are available. Musicians can pretty much forget about Windows Phone, as even a Microsoft developer once pointed out:

Low-latency audio on Windows Phone 8 (hint: forget it for now...)

If you're a network engineer like I am and you need apps to help troubleshoot networks, you can forget about it as well:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/235446-wi-fi-analyzer-possible-wp8.html

That, and apps like Fing, aren't even possible on Windows Phone. Windows Phone also has nothing in the way of native printing and scanning capabilities, and a ton of other issues related to missing functionality, which stem from this:

The biggest problem Windows Phone suffers from is its limited UI back end. Basically, if Microsoft hasn't already thought of the use case, then the app developer can't implement it. Android and iOS don't really have this limitation however. Go browse the Windows Phone app store and look for technical applications (as in apps that do more than provide information) that are ports/clones of applications from iOS or Android. A ton of them don't have feature parity, and the reason stated is typically "windows phone doesn't support this feature" rather than something to the effect of the developer is being too lazy to add it (which is a common accusation I see around here.)

Wouldn't the "bad taste" you speak of pertain to users too? What is they come over here and can't get a ride like they can on Android and iPhone??

What I mean by this is that you can't have the attitude that Windows Phone is for everybody, have them try it, and then complain that the whole platform sucks when they find out it isn't for them, just like your friend with the app complaint did. In fact really no platform is for everybody. I am mostly an Android user because I'm very much a power user (which mainly has to do with what I described earlier) and my Android can do a lot of things iDevices can't.

However the reverse is also true as my iDevices can do certain things with apps that by their nature have to make very rigid assumptions about the microphone and camera (which isn't at all practical on Android and Windows Phone because both of them are made by various OEMs. It doesn't matter how good of a quality the mic or camera is, rather in certain cases its necessary to know the EXACT specifications and quirks that APIs don't typically make available.)

I'm not quite sure what Windows Phone's niche is, maybe cameras, but I think that would only apply if you own a Nokia brand phone.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
@Rakeeshj - You type a lot, but ignore the basic facts. You have an Android, so I'm not sure why this topic even interests you except that it has given you a platform to air what you believe to be Windows Phone shortcomings.

My example was, in fact, a perfect "apples to apples" response to your original point about market share. The Mac computers have always had low market share and they used to not get any new programs. When you went to forums, Mac people always said "what about Mac?". They displayed their demand. Today we have a fledgling operating system called Windows Phone which by your previous response, you have no use for, thus I'm assuming that you've never used. They have similar market share as Mac had in the computer realm. We need to display our demand for apps and such. Contrary to your belief, Windows Phone users DO spend. You like links...read this one: Evernote sees Windows Phone users spending more on average than Android users do. Again, that's not really the point. People, regardless of phone choice require transportation. I know that Lyft has lost hundreds of dollars of business from me alone. What does an app port cost these days? A few thousand. If your economics educated like I am, you know that ROI (return on investment) isn't that far off in this scenario.

You are dragging the conversation all over the place and I'm not going to get into what the camera access is or the relevance of a app called Fing is. This is about Lyft and thus other consumer applications. There is no technical barrier to that prevents Lyft from being a viable app in the Windows Phone Store. The only barrier is that they don't realize the demand. Period.

I don't have time to respond to each and every one of your off-topic points, so I'm going to end it here.

digity

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I forgot where I read this, but there was a developer who successfully performed and completed a lyft (request to rating) by hacking together a Lyft API (or something). He did this because he had an Android and Lyft hadn't released an Android app at the time. Maybe someone can follow his steps for Windows Phone.

Rakeeshj

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
@Rakeeshj - You type a lot, but ignore the basic facts. You have an Android, so I'm not sure why this topic even interests you except that it has given you a platform to air what you believe to be Windows Phone shortcomings.

I work in the IT field, it is somewhat my business to be familiar with as many platforms as possible. I own at least one device of the current top 3 mobile platforms. I will also admit I am perhaps the least impressed by Microsoft over the last two years (but prior to that they were doing quite good.)

My example was, in fact, a perfect "apples to apples" response to your original point about market share. The Mac computers have always had low market share and they used to not get any new programs. When you went to forums, Mac people always said "what about Mac?". They displayed their demand. Today we have a fledgling operating system called Windows Phone which by your previous response, you have no use for, thus I'm assuming that you've never used.

And you assume wrong. The reason why I have little use for it is due to its inherent limitations, as I outlined earlier. Quite simply, there are many things that no matter how much an app developer was interested in doing, they absolutely cannot accomplish it. Don't take my word for it, read this very forum via the links I posted. This is why it isn't an apples to apples comparison. On the mac, at least if somebody wanted to do it...they could...but on WP very often they simply cannot.

It is not my daily driver primarily because it is simply incapable of doing what I need it to do.

Contrary to your belief, Windows Phone users DO spend. You like links...read this one: Evernote sees Windows Phone users spending more on average than Android users do.

That may be the case in that particular anecdote, but it is not the case across the ecosystem as a whole.

Again, that's not really the point. People, regardless of phone choice require transportation. I know that Lyft has lost hundreds of dollars of business from me alone. What does an app port cost these days? A few thousand. If your economics educated like I am, you know that ROI (return on investment) isn't that far off in this scenario.

I'm not going to get into my educational background, but I will say this: What people say, compared to what they do, is two different things. I can think of many examples of where I could demonstrate this, but the easiest to compare example is this one: I remember during the noughties, Linux users frequently made demands about bringing more applications to their platforms, insisting that they would spend if they came. They did come, many times in fact, but there were no buying customers. Customers like yourself who insisted that they would pay were either far too few in between most of the actual users who would not, or else they claimed they would pay, and very LOUDLY, but they never actually ended up doing so.

Besides, porting the application is only part of the equation (and some apps cost a LOT more than that to port.) You'll also need a support team dedicated to the other platform, its maintenance, and other issues related to it. That is an ongoing cost that must be justified by the spending habits of the ongoing users. Otherwise you'll see your brand image tarnished when one group of customers who speaks loudly (as you claim they should) is then speaking loudly about why you aren't supporting them.

You are dragging the conversation all over the place and I'm not going to get into what the camera access is or the relevance of a app called Fing is. This is about Lyft and thus other consumer applications. There is no technical barrier to that prevents Lyft from being a viable app in the Windows Phone Store. The only barrier is that they don't realize the demand. Period.

It was an answer to your point about the person who complained about there being no apps available, and I'm demonstrating how important it is for YOUR applications to be available rather than a simple number on a spreadsheet about available apps being "relatively" high.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Excellent points, Rakeeshj. Especially about spending on apps - how many times do we see people here ***** about the apps costing $0.99 cents or $1.99, and that they refuse to get them unless they are free? Hell, I buy apps all the time just to support the ecosystem. I could buy an app a day for a year and it would cost less than my phone, but for the future of the ecosystem it would be more important than me getting a new phone.

The truth is that WP will never succeed unless there are apps. And owners of WP have shown themselves reluctant to buy apps. Unless you niche your app to WP only and can become a big fish in a small pond, there seems to be little reason to develop apps for WP. And as someone that is on my third WP phone and really like it, and hate Google and find iOS to be crap... that saddens me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb