What apps would I be missing by going Windows Phone?

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Everyone talks about how Windows Phones do not have enough apps available, so what difference does it really make in real life?

I am coming from Nokia N8 with Symbian Anna, so I am not a heavy app user myself, but has anyone who experienced either Android or IOS could not find any replacement Windows apps when they switched to Windows Phone?

I do not game, or use social media sites (facebook, instagram, twitter, etc), and I also do not watch videos on my phone.

My usage includes email, music, camera, and web surfing (for news websites or forums with texts), so where do apps come in?

What do Android and IOS users do with their phones that require apps?

I am considering a Windows phone since I like the simplicity, but many people talk about the lack of apps without really telling me what exactly is missing.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is right phone for you except that you can't attach multiple files in email.
The app situation is now much better and you won't miss any apps.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Everyone talks about how Windows Phones do not have enough apps available, so what difference does it really make in real life?

I am coming from Nokia N8 with Symbian Anna, so I am not a heavy app user myself, but has anyone who experienced either Android or IOS could not find any replacement Windows apps when they switched to Windows Phone?

I do not game, or use social media sites (facebook, instagram, twitter, etc), and I also do not watch videos on my phone.

My usage includes email, music, camera, and web surfing (for news websites or forums with texts), so where do apps come in?

What do Android and IOS users do with their phones that require apps?

I am considering a Windows phone since I like the simplicity, but many people talk about the lack of apps without really telling me what exactly is missing.

Comparing windows phone to symbian, wp does not have opera mini/mobile, ster kinikor (those are just the apps I would want.

For Android you can get apps that let you download YouTube videos, play YouTube music videos in background, add animations to videos etc...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As a former Symbian user I can say that the app selection is superior on WP is both superior and better implemented than in Symbian.

With regards to the actual app selection on WP, the issues mostly center around the latest games, latest social media and banking. We also have the issue with Google apps, though there are 3rd party ones available. Added to that would be niche apps, there are some but not many.

In your situation the app selection won't be an issue. However, if you're among friends who have Android or iOS you may find yourself in situations where they'll have apps and you won't, probably for some time. WP doesn't get the latest and greatest but there is a ever increasing app selection and some companies are releasing WP apps at the same time as Android and iOS versions.

Things will continue to improve for apps as time goes by.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I wish for a fully functional Skype app (it's useless to me without voicemail). Silly me, I thought this would not be a problem since Skype is owned by Microsoft. But WP is second class even within Microsoft. Another example: Microsoft released a Remote Desktop app for Android and iOS, but not WP.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
All I can say after being asked the same question multiple times .. depends on how you use your phone? Are you looking for specific apps ?? There are some holes in the WP App Store

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
For me the only thing missing from Windows Phone is a banking app and the ability to set the phone to automatically change settings (volume, notifications, etc) based on time.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
As a former Symbian user I can say that the app selection is superior on WP is both superior and better implemented than in Symbian.

With regards to the actual app selection on WP, the issues mostly center around the latest games, latest social media and banking. We also have the issue with Google apps, though there are 3rd party ones available. Added to that would be niche apps, there are some but not many.

In your situation the app selection won't be an issue. However, if you're among friends who have Android or iOS you may find yourself in situations where they'll have apps and you won't, probably for some time. WP doesn't get the latest and greatest but there is a ever increasing app selection and some companies are releasing WP apps at the same time as Android and iOS versions.

Things will continue to improve for apps as time goes by.
What I mean is ovi store has more apps I need than wp such as the ones I've listed.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
What I mean is ovi store has more apps I need than wp such as the ones I've listed.

I was actually talking to the OP.

As for your personal usage you got to use what works for you. For myself personally I haven't been disappointed with what's missing but I may not be the 'typical' user. I don't miss Opera and have no need to download videos, I typically will download on my laptop if I want something. As for video editing/animations there's a few apps out there for that. Not sure what you're referring to there 100%. There's also 'Showtime' for movies but I'm guessing you want an app where you can purchase tickets on the go?

There are lots of people who want certain apps that mean a lot to them but don't exist on WP yet. Or may never. That's part of the issue surrounding WP. Until it hits higher percentages it will continue to be last when it comes to apps.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have heard that Windows Phone internet browser does not store passwords?

Is this still true? This really sucks since my I had that for granted on my Opera Mini symbian browser.

Also Windows Phone does not have swype keyboard app available on Symbian, how does the windows phone compare to the Swype keyboard?

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
IE does store the password if you check the "remember me" box you see on most sites. I use desktop mode all the time, so, not sure about mobile. The keyboard is excellent!! WP has great autocorrect functionality as well. Now, if you're trying to text while driving (hope not) or something like that, the Tell Me part is AWESOME for talk to text.. It learns you quickly!!

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Apps you will never see in Windows Phone (not even equivalent):

WatchESPN
TWCTV
DishHopper
Redbox Direct
Any Google Related (G+, etc)
BBM

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I have heard that Windows Phone internet browser does not store passwords?

Is this still true? This really sucks since my I had that for granted on my Opera Mini symbian browser.

Also Windows Phone does not have swype keyboard app available on Symbian, how does the windows phone compare to the Swype keyboard?

There is no swype . However, the keyboard is pretty good. Has a better autocorrect than iOS imho.

Man, just drop Symbian. Was nice for a time, but now is dead, at least visually.

Email experience is great, and all thing you mentioned are covered, but swype.

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
i was a heavy symbian my self, migrated from the N8 to the Lumia 920..
mainly because i like Nokia, not as a fan boy, but, i feel home with them, built quality, camera, and their suite of apps.. etc etc

back to topic , what u will miss the most, is "Hot" games/apps... a small example is bitstripe , u may think its retarded(i do), but MANY ppl use it atm, and its there in andriod and IOS.,. and i dont think it will reach WP..

hot apps gets boring, and usually die off... and never reach WP..
if a certain hot app is successful, such as snapchat.. it usually finds its way eventually officially , or via 3erd party(which is usually alot better)
same idea with games ..

so basically u wont miss much :), im like u , aint much of an app person, but sometimes some apps can be really good, that u'd want them.. or games..
i dont believe in mobile gaming, but some games do excel, like Rayman(jungle run), absolutely must have.. would have been really sad if it didnt reach WP, but it did :), otheres didnt, subway surfer for example..

the main question u should be asking ur self is: "what will i lose, if i go andriod/ios"... because i believe Lumia's have alot to offer for ppl like u :)

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I was actually talking to the OP.

As for your personal usage you got to use what works for you. For myself personally I haven't been disappointed with what's missing but I may not be the 'typical' user. I don't miss Opera and have no need to download videos, I typically will download on my laptop if I want something. As for video editing/animations there's a few apps out there for that. Not sure what you're referring to there 100%. There's also 'Showtime' for movies but I'm guessing you want an app where you can purchase tickets on the go?

There are lots of people who want certain apps that mean a lot to them but don't exist on WP yet. Or may never. That's part of the issue surrounding WP. Until it hits higher percentages it will continue to be last when it comes to apps.

With that said, I am surprised Nokia didn't integrate ovi store into their lumia range, even if we are side loading ovi apps.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I escaped from Android recently.
Frankly I can't remember what apps were on my device other than YouTube or the crappy browser that FC'd hourly.

To type the truth I've found better apps for WP8 from Nokia\Microsoft and anything I've ended up buying I found worthwhile.
Far as I'm concerned less is much better than the Garbage Play store which suffers from way too much fill with little content.
Of course the WP store will eventually fill up with the "why did I download this?" stuff too.

@OP by your stated activities you probably won't miss anything by switching.
WP8 has everything you need.

peepsite

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm still waiting for instagram, and an additional 5k flashlight apps, another 20k ringtone apps, oh and a few thousand virus and malware filled monstrosities.....let's see, what else?. Gotta have at least a quarter million screen background and /or emoticon apps. I'm sure windows store will reach parity with the other OS's eventually,just be patient.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You will probably miss out on Joe Blows coffee shop app. He most likely hacked some bad code onto an Android app. The app once installed renders the device useless but gets you $.10 on a cup of coffee. You will then have to hard rest your android phone and start all over to get the app off your device because it won't fully uninstall but what the heck you did save $.10 this morning...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte