Teen daughter wants iPhone, I want to get her a Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's the dilemma: my teen daughter (I could just stop right there...), who is on my Verizon family plan, has a "classic" cell phone. It's time to move her to a smartphone. but she uses an iPod Touch and is convinced she wants an iPhone ('it has all my apps!'). If we get her a smartphone, she will be paying half the monthly charge. I mention this because it might affect which phone she gets for which network.

I really would love for her to get a WP simply because I am getting more invested in the MS ecosystem at home, and iPhones give you less bang for the buck. She'd probably be fine with an Android phone, but I'm worried about malware, rogue apps, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a $80 Nokia 520/521 and let her mess with it for a couple weeks and then see what she thinks. The only drawback would be no front phone, but she could still check out the OS and see if the apps she wants are on there, and then I'd pick a better phone with a front camera (920 family, etc).

T-mobile seems to be the cheapest network, and she could do pay as you go.

Anyone have any thoughts? I would also appreciate any general advice about having a teenager with a smartphone.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I totally understand why she would want an iPhone. It's highly likely that all her friends would have one. Being the odd one out would probably bug her, unless she doesn't care about that. Peer pressure.

If she's willing to give WP a go I don't see a reason not to buy a trial one to see if she likes it.

You could see if you can bag one of these: Deal Alert: Nokia Lumia 520 for just $59.99 during Black Friday | Windows Phone Central

I wouldn't hold my breath though. I think the iPhone is still a status symbol with the younger generation.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If she can't do selfies then you'll loose her "forever" - you can't be serious

Teen daughter wants iPhone, I want* to get her a Windows Phone.

Are you getting what you are saying: YOU WANT... give it up man it's not worth the grief and the karma.

roll eyes roll eyes roll eyes

* my needs are more important than her needs

let her get an iPhone and let her get it with your blessing, there are more important battles, not this one.

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That's a really good point. My older son wouldn't have been caught dead with an iPhone in high school or college, and my 16 y.o. daughter daughter is ambivalent. This 13 y.o. is DEFINITELY concerned with status and appearance among peers.

And thanks for reminding me about the BF deal (closest TD store is not worth driving to, unfortunately).

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If she can't do selfies then you'll loose her "forever" - you can't be serious
Are you getting what you are saying: YOU WANT... give it up man it's not worth the grief and the karma.
let her get an iPhone and let her get it with your blessing, there are more important battles, not this one.

Thank you for pointing out the problem with no front camera. I was still editing the post when you replied. I have no intention of getting her a phone without a front facing cam.

Heh heh... And yes, my needs ARE more important than hers. I NEED to be a good father more than she NEEDS a non-essential smartphone. I am not against her having an iPhone, I'm just trying to teach her how to make wise decisions and not just because it's popular. If she has compelling reasons for the iPhone, then that's what I will get her.

savantfool

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If all of her friends have an iphone , then its better you get her an iphone.

There is so so so many things wrong with treating your kids like this.

All your friends are tatooed? Well I wouldnt want you to feel left out

Or: All your friends are getting Mercedes cars from their parents for their birthday...well looks like we'll have to get you one

Ever wonder why this and the next generation are takers and not doers? Because of such ways to deal with your kids.

When I was 15 and asked my parents if I could have a prepaid phone for birthday they looked at me and (back then Nokia 3310) they asked me if I knew how much that cost. I replied with: all my friends have one.
Conversation ended there.

I had to work for my 3310 and you know what: I appreciated it tons more. It was with me for a long time.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
There is so so so many things wrong with treating your kids like this.

All your friends are tatooed? Well I wouldnt want you to feel left out

Or: All your friends are getting Mercedes cars from their parents for their birthday...well looks like we'll have to get you one

Ever wonder why this and the next generation are takers and not doers? Because of such ways to deal with your kids.

When I was 15 and asked my parents if I could have a prepaid phone for birthday they looked at me and (back then Nokia 3310) they asked me if I knew how much that cost. I replied with: all my friends have one.
Conversation ended there.

I had to work for my 3310 and you know what: I appreciated it tons more. It was with me for a long time.

So true. No wonder this country is going to crap. Things are just given to kids nowadays so they don't appreciate anything!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So true. No wonder this country is going to crap. Things are just given to kids nowadays so they don't appreciate anything!

Which country? This is an international forum...

As for the issues with kids it derives from a lot of people I knew growing up saying things like this - "My kids are never going to have to go without", "I didn't get a chance to do that, I'll make sure my kids have the that opportunity", "I don't want my kids to ever be the 'out' one." etc...

Add to the fact that parents typically let their children dictate their actions and you start to see the issues. Ad companies use this knowledge.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day, you are the parent and you are in control. You want an iPhone? Cool. Buy one your self... What's that, you can't? Here's a lumia.

She is 13y.o . All she needs is instagram and facebook and twitter.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Take it from someone with experience, get her an iphone. Now, you could go to the store and take a look at the phones and try to steer her towards a WP, but in the end, if she wants an iphone, get that.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
nah dont spoil her with what she wants (specially if the reason is "its popular")...just give her what you can and teach her to appreciate!

seriously, this kids playing status using their parents money **** me off...they dont understand the value of work!

we are doomed if parents keep spoiling their children...they wont be prepared for adult life because they always instantly got what they wanted with their parents money and think everything is easy!

when they work and cant afford things easily or instantly at the start, they'll get frustrated!

if you give her what she wants, at least teach her about the value of your work and your effort and that it wont be easy once she starts an independent life!

i think there's far more important things than status...pity teenagers are so spoiled they dont understand this!

Daniel Brott

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I like how you are trying to teach your daughter to make wise decisions. I think you have a good plan. Get her the 520 and let her check it out. She is paying for half of it, so I'd say she has some say so. If you were paying for all of it then I'd just get what you want to get and she would have to just deal with it. However, since she is paying for half of it then I think she should at least have some input. Anyway, get the 520 and let her check that out and then you can decide together. Just be advised that she will probably still want the Iphone. Another potential compromise would be to get her a cheaper version of the Iphone, like the Iphone 4s or the Iphone 5c.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for pointing out the problem with no front camera. I was still editing the post when you replied. I have no intention of getting her a phone without a front facing cam.

Heh heh... And yes, my needs ARE more important than hers. I NEED to be a good father more than she NEEDS a non-essential smartphone. I am not against her having an iPhone, I'm just trying to teach her how to make wise decisions and not just because it's popular. If she has compelling reasons for the iPhone, then that's what I will get her.

I would say iphone, why? (even though I never used one), of course its not a simple case of popularity but if everybody in her friends group is using particular app( say competing candy crush saga levels ) she would feel left out and start hating the phone, WP still needs catchup, but then if she has ipod touch she might still have access to those apps, so just show her unique features of WP like photobeamer etc. she might start to appreciate it and then decide to take it. u might want to take a lumia 720 if at all a WP.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
well she's definitely going to want a FFC, I know a couple girls with 521's but they're the exception.

the problem is that WP almost never has dem trendy apps when they're popular. sure that might change, but she might feel left out. Android doesn't have such a widespread virus epidemic or any sort that we know of, its yet to reach Windows XP proportions.

If I were you, I'd spring for an older iPhone just to be more compatible, although there's nothing wrong with trialing a 52x, although I'd bump her up a couple models just for the FFC.
Even then an Android is an option.

Please be lenient with it and don't go all monitoring etc, but just reserve the right. Unless she has good discipline (unlike me sometimes as much as I hate to admit hehe) you may want her to lose it when doing schoolwork unless its fairly easy.
but then again, I don't know your daughter, I guess apply a healthy dose of common sense.

just my two cents

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am not against her having an iPhone, I'm just trying to teach her how to make wise decisions and not just because it's popular. If she has compelling reasons for the iPhone, then that's what I will get her.

Umm, I'm not sure you should call this a wise decision. It's pretty much her opinion vs. yours. More than likely most of her friends have iPhones. This means that iMessage & Facetime would be important. As was mentioned, if she's missing these features that the rest of her friends use, it will cause her to hate WP. I'd go with the iPhone, this time! Then when it's time for a replacement, review the situation and maybe WP or something else will be more appropriate.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Not in the liberty of telling someone what to do with their own children. If it were my daughter and she was a good kid and was gonna be contributing to footing the bill, she gets the iPhone. Unless its a matter of finances and safety, then I can see going with a alternative.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what lesson is being taught getting her a phone you want her to have over what she wants.

Just my two cents.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I can only speak from the experience as the child, as my son is only 4 months old. I got my first phone when I started driving it was awful some of you may remember that big yellow and black brick from Nextel. I obviously was unhappy with this but I didn't pay for it. I then got a job after school at a fast food restaurant and bought my own phone the very one I wanted. So I would say your money by what you want her to have, if she doesn't like it let her buy her own. Looking back I'm more thankful to my dad for doin it his way because I learned at that age to do things for myself.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
She did mention on factor. She said it had all her apps. I think she wants to have access the stuff she had on her iPod. Nothing is wrong with that.

Tapatalking on the N7....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)