Teen daughter wants iPhone, I want to get her a Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I have to interject here. My wife loves her phone and I forced it on her. Though she is not a child anymore, you could do what I did. Show her everything that can be accomplished better with the ecosystem. Then let her know that her selfies won't suffer because they have the best cameras!

LewLew23

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I say if her iPod Touch is still fairly new and works just fine for her, why not switch it up and get her a Lumia phone then? It's not uncommon to use a phone along with an iPod Touch. I did it a few years ago and so did plenty of my friends. This way, she can see which ecosystem she likes better. I think that's plenty fair.

Though because she is a teen, I'd suggest (like other people in this thread) the 925 over the 520. But then again it does come down to what she can afford.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
She's paying half the bill? Let her get an iPhone. The monthly charge doesn't vary between smartphones, only between carriers (sans T-Mobile). And if she's paying for it then you should respect her financial decision and let her get the phone of her choosing. Your daughter becoming an "iSheep" isn't the worst thing in the world, especially since she's already happy with her current iPod.

If you truly want to convince her of the glory of WPs then let her use your phone for a day or two. Walk her through the benefits of WP, how she can pin all of her favorite friends (for which she probably has many) to the start screen. How she can get instant Facebook updates from them. Maybe once she realizes the social aspects of WP then she'll jump ship.

But don't buy her a phone and tell her to jump ship.

LewLew23

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
She's paying half the bill? Let her get an iPhone. The monthly charge doesn't vary between smartphones, only between carriers (sans T-Mobile). And if she's paying for it then you should respect her financial decision and let her get the phone of her choosing. Your daughter becoming an "iSheep" isn't the worst thing in the world, especially since she's already happy with her current iPod.

If you truly want to convince her of the glory of WPs then let her use your phone for a day or two. Walk her through the benefits of WP, how she can pin all of her favorite friends (for which she probably has many) to the start screen. How she can get instant Facebook updates from them. Maybe once she realizes the social aspects of WP then she'll jump ship.

But don't buy her a phone and tell her to jump ship.

Just had to quote this. I totally agree with this. If she's paying for it as a teen, it just shows that shes most likely a hard worker. She shouldn't be "punished", so to say, for that. But like you said, let her try Windows Phone, maybe she might like it.

Heck, I love WP so much, I use my 1020 side by side with my Z10.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
When I was 15 I asked my dad(mom left the family for another dude) if I can get a part-time job and he was cool with it after that I started buying all my own gadgets without having to ask my dad for approval because it was my money.

I had to wait until I had my driver's license to be able to go far enough to get a real job. Carrying papers since I was 12 didn't pay enough to do much, and mowing lawns there were enough of us doing it that none of us got rich at it. :wink:

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I actually, am a teenager, and I got my first "smartphone" in 2010, when the iPhone 4 came out. In 2011, I started to be intrigued by Windows Phone, so I gave the Dell Venue Pro a try. I loved it. Then I went to the Lumia 900, now the 920.

99% of my grade uses iPhones, and it is because it has the "best" apps. It has official instagram (we just got that though, but i love 6tag) and official snapchat (again, 6snap). When phones are too "big", like people think my 920 and my sisters 1020 is (she's in college, so it's fine), they tend to think you are a little different. Like for some reason in my school, if you don't have an iPhone, you aren't cool, and your phone isn't as good. I'm not sure if your daughter would be worried about people making fun of her, just because it isn't an iPhone, but I would think it would be a good idea for her to try a Windows Phone, and see if she likes it. If she likes it, she could keep it or get a different windows phone for her needs, or if she really doesn't, she can get an iPhone. I don't think you should force her to use a Windows Phone, but have her at least try it.

I have been reading this forum for some time and I enjoy your posts. I NEVER would have imagined you are a teenager. I wish my 40 year old daughter had as much sense.

Respectfully...................calfee20

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I would have her play with a 9series Lumia first, before any decision is made. She more than like wants an iPhone because of her friends, which is good and bad. So to offset that, which you started already, let her get a taste of wp8. Since you're paying half, you should have half a say, sorta speak.

She probably will end up with an iPhone, being that young. If she does, just tease her a little bit with how more fun it can be with "your" WP.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
She has a ipod touch. You give her a wp phone. Lumia 822. She can share internet from 822 and use apps on ipod touch.

Back to topic. If she want a iPhone let her buy it, let her earn money and buy it. You money so your wish what will you give her.

Also there is no serious difference between iPhone and iPod touch other than calling

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
How exactly is she going to be paying half the line rental? If she 13 i doubt she work unless she mean using her pocket money lol.

I was working at 13 years old, 3 days a week and going to school. My parents wouldn't purchase things i wanted for me, so i had no choice...back then if i wanted a CD or videogame it had to come out of my account. Maybe a lot of 13 year olds dont work these days but its not all of them =P

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
When i was 14 i asked my dad for a phone why??? All frnds were having one.

He said if all your frnd began to eat **** will you also eat ****.??

I kept quit

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Here's my opinion: let her get the iPhone. Teens are usually big into trendy (often iPhone-exclusive) apps. If you force a WP on her, then every time her friends are using one of those flavor-of-the-month apps she might end up resenting you for it. As a parent you have to pick your battles with your kids and save your parental authority for when it counts. In the grand scheme of things, her choice of phone is hardly a high stakes decision. Sometimes it's better to let your kids make their own decisions and only exercise your parental authority when it's really important.

frett

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the great input. I lurk a lot but rarely start posts.

It is interesting to see all the viewpoints presented thus far. I admit I was looking for practical/technical insight and opinion. I was not really expecting criticism about spoiling my child or needing to "man up". Haha! I guess that's the Internet these days! :)

I really appreciate the opinion of those with kids and from the teens who weighed in. There are some great points from several posters about the advantage of having an iPhone vs WP (newer apps first, etc).

FWIW, my daughter is a straight A student and earns about $40 a month babysitting for neighborhood families. She's a great kid. I will get the Lumia 520 anyway (as a backup for me and something for her to try), but unless she has some huge change of mind, I'm sure we'll end up with an iPhone. :)

MrCartas

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
When i was 14 i asked my dad for a phone why??? All frnds were having one.

He said if all your frnd began to eat **** will you also eat ****.??

I kept quit

I honestly believe that a 13 y.o. should not own a smart phone. A basic phone for emergencies is as far as I would go. Call me old school, but that's my kid and my responsibility.

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the great input. I lurk a lot but rarely start posts.

It is interesting to see all the viewpoints presented thus far. I admit I was looking for practical/technical insight and opinion. I was not really expecting criticism about spoiling my child or needing to "man up". Haha! I guess that's the Internet these days! :)

I really appreciate the opinion of those with kids and from the teens who weighed in. There are some great points from several posters about the advantage of having an iPhone vs WP (newer apps first, etc).

FWIW, my daughter is a straight A student and earns about $40 a month babysitting for neighborhood families. She's a great kid. I will get the Lumia 520 anyway (as a backup for me and something for her to try), but unless she has some huge change of mind, I'm sure we'll end up with an iPhone. :)
If you can offer a Lumia 925/1020 highlighting the camera, you know teens these days - camera is on the top 3 ;)

Deivisk

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Iphone is high-end smartphone, if she wants high-end than get her, atleast 820 white, it looks kidna girly(I don't know why) and is quite light, also you'll save money and with that money you could suprise her with wirless charger.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I honestly believe that a 13 y.o. should not own a smart phone. A basic phone for emergencies is as far as I would go. Call me old school, but that's my kid and my responsibility.

This. I'm not going as far as saying "should not own a smartphone", but I'd say no to an iPhone. We're talking about a 13 year old child... As mature as she may be, accidents do happen and an iPhone isn't exactly a $100 phone...

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
13 years old is kind of young for a smartphone dont you think so. My 2nd cousin still uses a regular phone and she is a freshman in college. My cousins would not buy her one, and they also do not own smartphones. They are just old school.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Here's the dilemma: my teen daughter (I could just stop right there...), who is on my Verizon family plan, has a "classic" cell phone. It's time to move her to a smartphone. but she uses an iPod Touch and is convinced she wants an iPhone ('it has all my apps!'). If we get her a smartphone, she will be paying half the monthly charge. I mention this because it might affect which phone she gets for which network.

I really would love for her to get a WP simply because I am getting more invested in the MS ecosystem at home, and iPhones give you less bang for the buck. She'd probably be fine with an Android phone, but I'm worried about malware, rogue apps, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a $80 Nokia 520/521 and let her mess with it for a couple weeks and then see what she thinks. The only drawback would be no front phone, but she could still check out the OS and see if the apps she wants are on there, and then I'd pick a better phone with a front camera (920 family, etc).

T-mobile seems to be the cheapest network, and she could do pay as you go.

Anyone have any thoughts? I would also appreciate any general advice about having a teenager with a smartphone.
Tmobile is not the cheapest network. They always get the money no matter what. And even carriers count towards your status. T mobile means your poor. Sprint means you don't realize you have no coverage and Verizon and AT&T are the I have money for nice things carriers. Being a Teen in one of New York State's biggest high school, if you don't have an iPhone, your a LOSER. So I carry 2. My 822 and iPhone 4. I'm a freshmen and 14 years old. And yes both of them are active and it's bleeding me dry. But I'd rather die than be labeled as a loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)