Teen daughter wants iPhone, I want to get her a Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Why? The fundamental problem is teen culture these days where it's all about the appearance of being "cool". So even though Windows Phone probably has all the apps she needs, the UI looks different and her friends will make fun of her for using an 'uncool' "Winblowz" Phone. Who needs that stress? Better to NOT get any smartphone and tell her to save up for her iPhone.
I totally agree here,i'm one of the few teens that have a lumia,and everyday i hear Samsung and iPhones fanboys saying that my nokia isn't cool,but you know what,i bought this phone because i like not because others do.I don't care what other thinks about my phone as long i love it.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree here,i'm one of the few teens that have a lumia,and everyday i hear Samsung and iPhones fanboys saying that my nokia isn't cool,but you know what,i bought this phone because i like not because others do.I don't care what other thinks about my phone as long i love it.
You are so critical of Samsung and Apple fanboys, yet you want somebody to get a Nokia over a phone they actually want.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the great input. I lurk a lot but rarely start posts.

It is interesting to see all the viewpoints presented thus far. I admit I was looking for practical/technical insight and opinion. I was not really expecting criticism about spoiling my child or needing to "man up". Haha! I guess that's the Internet these days! :)

I really appreciate the opinion of those with kids and from the teens who weighed in. There are some great points from several posters about the advantage of having an iPhone vs WP (newer apps first, etc).

FWIW, my daughter is a straight A student and earns about $40 a month babysitting for neighborhood families. She's a great kid. I will get the Lumia 520 anyway (as a backup for me and something for her to try), but unless she has some huge change of mind, I'm sure we'll end up with an iPhone. :)

Yeah, as a Dad of 2 now 20-year olds, I was kinda shaking my head at some of these comments, as well. Anyone could tell from the first post you put on here you were not "spoiling" your kid, but actually wanted to do this for her and wanted opinions on the best decision for her because you cared. To me, that says "Good Father rewards good daughter". My runts had feature phones from pretty much teenagerhood on. I got them smartphones in their late teens. They are not spoiled.

But, I did try.

Your idea of having her try out the L520 is solid. The app situation is great on WP these days, as is Nokia support. If she really, really wants the iPhone- eh. Our loss.

Let us know how things go- I am curious. And if it is at all in your power: Spoil the crap out of her. She sounds like a responsable, well adjusted kid who desearves a little spoiling.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I own a yellow 920 and get made fun of, even with my cyan cover, and the size of it too. **** them, I like it, and they can't say **** about it. :D
lol, I have a yellow lumia 920, and people just ask me what kind of phone it is, I've never been made fun of for having this phone, but then again, and I not the person you would want to make fun of, I tower over pretty much everyone, lol.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I think you should get her an iphone, even though I am an avid windows phone supporter. There will be new apps and trends, and these news apps are not on windows phone yet. If she gets sick of the iphone one day, then have her try a windows phone.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, YOU'RE the adult and the parent, so get her what you want to get her. She'll use it. If she has an iPod touch, she doesn't also need an iPhone.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Watching this thread has been interesting, to say the least. Kids these days can easily get sucked into the whole social scene to the point that it can really damage them in ways that won't always be readily apparent. If you seek justification and acceptance from others and can't handle being rejected, that's a bad sign the teen's ability to handle the real world. All one has to do is see how many kids allow their social status to be the end all be all of their existence, and they commit suicide when things get rough, especially girls. To many kids these days feel entitled to things, and fail to value stuff that they are given, as opposed to working for.

As far as the phone is concerned, I think her desire for an iPhone should be considered, but it is secondary to your ability to have some level of control over the phone and the content to which she will be allowed access. I know there are various things that can be done on each phone, but, at her age, I would be sure to get whichever phone can be appropriately locked down and occasionally monitored. Parenting isn't a spectator sport, and no child should be given, or allowed to use, a smartphone without the appropriate oversight. As they reach maturity, you loosen the reigns. So, IMHO, look at both phones and see if they both have what you need in terms of parental control. If they are even, you may want to weigh in more toward what she wants. If the iPhone has the better controls, then it just makes sense to go ahead and get it. But if WP has the better controls, I would work with her to show her how both the phone and the iPod can work together and show her the social benefits of WP over iPhone and you should make a parental decision at that point.

Kids change trends all the time, so who knows, the iPhone might not be the trendy phone in another year or two.

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm a teen as well here, and I chose my HTC 8X, and paid for it myself, with money I earned, and I love it. I don't care what people say, however, I find that everyone I show it too, including teenage girls, also love it. In certain classes I cannot use my phone, because the girls around me are playing with it lol. They always rearrange my live tiles and change my theme color.

Anyways, i'd say to sit down with her, and let her play with a Windows Phone, see if she enjoys it. Show her some of the cool apps like SongArc, show her the people hub, integrated messaging app, all this cool stuff that comes with the MS ecosystem, then ask what she thinks. If she still wants the iPhone, then get her the iPhone, but I think its important to make sure she knows all her facts, and does her own research before arriving at conclusions, not just wanting an iPhone because everyone else has one.

Edit: had to add something about the cameras, her selfies will be better quality on Windows Phone, because WP cameras are really great. iPhone FFC is only VGA quality lol, when I last checked.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm a teen as well here, and I chose my HTC 8X, and paid for it myself, with money I earned, and I love it. I don't care what people say, however, I find that everyone I show it too, including teenage girls, also love it. In certain classes I cannot use my phone, because the girls around me are playing with it lol. They always rearrange my live tiles and change my theme color.

Anyways, i'd say to sit down with her, and let her play with a Windows Phone, see if she enjoys it. Show her some of the cool apps like SongArc, show her the people hub, integrated messaging app, all this cool stuff that comes with the MS ecosystem, then ask what she thinks. If she still wants the iPhone, then get her the iPhone, but I think its important to make sure she knows all her facts, and does her own research before arriving at conclusions, not just wanting an iPhone because everyone else has one.

Edit: had to add something about the cameras, her selfies will be better quality on Windows Phone, because WP cameras are really great. iPhone FFC is only VGA quality lol, when I last checked.

About that last part, the newer iPhones are "FaceTime HD", now better selfies scaled down in instagram! :p

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I would get her a WP to at least start off with. People need to be more individualistic these days. Don't do something just because someone else is doing it. Be your own person. Don't be afraid to have a different phone. She should be able to handle being an individual. It's lame to follow the crowd just because you don't want to be made fun of. It will make her stronger as a person if she faces adversity.

You get my point. :p

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My teen daughter is the person who turned me onto Windows Phone... I got us both one. Four months later she asked me for an iPhone. She loved the WP phone but it just didn't have the games and the apps all her friends had. We sold the WP, she got her iPhone and she's really happy with it, despite feeling "like a sheep", as she puts it.

Teenagers need the apps, especially the games. Get her the iPhone.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
To reply to the person who said WP has no parental controls that is not exactly true. I believe if you sign your underage daughter up with and underage outlook email address and attach your parent account to it there are parental controls for IE and it tracks what's she does. It can also block certain content. Use the underage Childs email as the main email on the phone and voila. Parental controls. I recently bought my 12 yr old a 520 for Christmas and was looking into this. I have not done a trial run yet on how well it works.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree with some of the posters just suck it up and get her and iphone. Let the teenager be a teenager. But first let her explore a windows phone to see if it can spark the individuality.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So what do you do when a teen is giving proper parenting and has a locked-down phone and is monitored, yet is hanging around other teens who have unmonitored iPhones because their parents just don't' give a ****? I guess another part of good parenting is to teach them not to make friends with those kind of shallow idiots who would JUDGE you based on what kind of phone you own.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with some of the posters just suck it up and get her and iphone. Let the teenager be a teenager. But first let her explore a windows phone to see if it can spark the individuality.

Parents should not abdicate their responsibility because "teens are teens". No child is entitled to whatever expensive doo-dad they want.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
In my house, nobody is allowed to use any iProducts. My wife is still using HTC HD7, and I plan to upgrade the Nokia 1020 for her. Two of my kids are happy with their Surfaces.

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
If I had a daughter I would buy her the phone that she wanted. She would have to get good grades in all of her classes. One C and I would trade it in for a brick non smart phone.

BrandonTeoh

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's my personal experience I am going to share (even it is a bit off topic, but nevermind)

My current phone is HTC Radar running WP 7.8 (was 7.5) and often when I whipped out my phone to check the time during meetings with friends and things (I'm from Malaysia by the way) and they often intrigued by the strange Windows operating system on a phone and often nagging me to lend my phone to them to play around the interface. I do have a few female friends who is not that tech savvy also very intrigued by it (she's an Android user).

However, most of the time, my friends and sometimes my dad would often ask me why I didn't use a Samsung phone or any phone that uses Android (since almost 8 out of 10 of my friends use Samsung now, based on my amazing statistical skills), I often say I would like to "Think Different" beyond iOS and Android.

So, as a father, you should ask her which phone she really wants (The same goes to myself when my dad who asked me the same thing about my next Windows Phone phone) or let her get a hands on a Windows Phone and an iPhone before making the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786