Teen daughter wants iPhone, I want to get her a Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansTj

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Tmobile is not the cheapest network. They always get the money no matter what. And even carriers count towards your status. T mobile means your poor. Sprint means you don't realize you have no coverage and Verizon and AT&T are the I have money for nice things carriers. Being a Teen in one of New York State's biggest high school, if you don't have an iPhone, your a LOSER. So I carry 2. My 822 and iPhone 4. I'm a freshmen and 14 years old. And yes both of them are active and it's bleeding me dry. But I'd rather die than be labeled as a loser.

Over a phone? I am sincerely hoping that statement is a joke, because you have a totally pitiful reason to be alive...

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Over a phone? I am sincerely hoping that statement is a joke, because you have a totally pitiful reason to be alive...

It's what America has come down to. In other countries teenagers worry about having enough food, clothing & shelter. Here they will DIE if they don't get an iThing.

HansTj

May 10, 2013
Visit site
My teen daughter is the person who turned me onto Windows Phone... I got us both one. Four months later she asked me for an iPhone. She loved the WP phone but it just didn't have the games and the apps all her friends had. We sold the WP, she got her iPhone and she's really happy with it, despite feeling "like a sheep", as she puts it.

Teenagers need the apps, especially the games. Get her the iPhone.

Hmm, let me guess... Candy Crush Saga??

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm a high school technology teacher. I'm sick of kids bringing me their broken iPhones hoping I can fix them. I'm also sick of seeing every teen with a phone and having to spend class time getting them to put them away because they are using class time for FB and Twitter. I'm also sick of seeing students on free lunch with iPhones. It's time for parents to start being parents and quit letting their kids run their lives. That said, there are lots of teens using phones other than iPhones. There are a lot of Android phones and I see a few Windows Phones.Get what you think your kid should have.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Question is: how important is it to help your child to teach her to be like everybody else - or teach her to resist the peer pressure?
My own parents found the latter more important, and as a teenager, I hated them for that sometimes - until I found out, with still below 20 years, how freeing it is to make up my own mind without taking my peer's opinion into account. In other words: with fulfilling your child every wish you don't always do them a favour, and sometimes your children will hate you for it, at least for a while.
Regarding needing to have the latest games - sorry, nobody really really needs them, neither life nor educational goals depend on it. It's a strong want that is mixed up with a need in most cases.

Regarding the specific case:
If there is a good logical reason for the thread openers daughter reason to get a certain brand (and everybody has it is, imho, is NOT a strong enough reason by far,I would want to see some proof that she has put some more serious thoughts into the issue) and she's ready to spend some of her own money, why not an iPhone.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Why does a teen need to prove they put some thought into what phone they want? She's a teenager, not a Rhodes Scholar.
Because a teenager is on the way to be a grown up person, and the earlier she learns to give her wishes a bit more reason than a mere "because everybody has it", the better for her.
Because being a teenager doesn't mean getting every wish fulfilled without a reason.
Because thinking about what to spend ones money for can't be learnt soon enough.
And because being a parent is not a popularity contest.

All imho of course.

Question to you: what, in your opinion, is the advantage of not teaching your child to put some thought into a buying decision?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Because a teenager is on the way to be a grown up person, and the earlier she learns to give her wishes a bit more reason than a mere "because everybody has it", the better for her.
Because being a teenager doesn't mean getting every wish fulfilled without a reason.
Because thinking about what to spend ones money for can't be learnt soon enough.
And because being a parent is not a popularity contest.

All imho of course.

Question to you: what, in your opinion, is the advantage of not teaching your child to put some thought into a buying decision?

Because this is 'Murica, where kids are given anything they want and told they can get bull**** "-studies" degrees and pile up $80K student debt and end up working at McDonald's for life.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm a high school technology teacher. I'm sick of kids bringing me their broken iPhones hoping I can fix them. I'm also sick of seeing every teen with a phone and having to spend class time getting them to put them away because they are using class time for FB and Twitter. I'm also sick of seeing students on free lunch with iPhones. It's time for parents to start being parents and quit letting their kids run their lives. That said, there are lots of teens using phones other than iPhones. There are a lot of Android phones and I see a few Windows Phones.Get what you think your kid should have.

Ever thought of a career change? Sounds like things might be getting away from you a little bit, happens to all of us.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I didn't read any of the thread. If your buying, its your decision. Tell the teenager if they're not happy they can buy what they want.

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm... get this... LOSING friends... because I praise WP. I show (official) Instagram and Vine off, still no. I can take selfies with a FRONT facing cam. Still no. The fact it's nearly as secure as a 3DS... Nintendo fans say no: want Android.
Bahhhhhh... well, don't cry me a river when you can't comment on anything because you're not 18, likewise when you drop your iPhone a few CENTIMETERS.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm... get this... LOSING friends... because I praise WP. I show (official) Instagram and Vine off, still no. I can take selfies with a FRONT facing cam. Still no. The fact it's nearly as secure as a 3DS... Nintendo fans say no: want Android.
Bahhhhhh... well, don't cry me a river when you can't comment on anything because you're not 18, likewise when you drop your iPhone a few CENTIMETERS.
Or cry when you can't disable the 3G GSM Band because of stupid Apple policy and you have 1 line signal

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Get her Samsung s4, her other friends will cry for it.. S4 is amazing.
Sensors
Camera
Resolution
Apps

Its fantastic.
New generation needs better apps, windows phone apps are buggy and stupid. Moreover, many apps which are popular among youth are still not in windows phone app store. For,example: BBM for windows phone..its very important to consider apps heavily used by young generation..

I gifted WP to my brother, he is 17years old.. He was so depressed due to limitations of WP. So i exchanged my Samsung s4 with my small brother..

He is dam popular among friends due to smartest phone.. Even iPhone guys are planning to get s4.

Don't even dare to give windows phone, she gonna regret..and it will hurt you..
Best options will be,
IPhone 5s or Samsung s4
Than its up to you and your budget.. And android phone is budget friendly too.. Choice is of parents..

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 India gdr3

Prakeern98_lumia520

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Sensors
Camera
Resolution
Apps

Its fantastic.
New generation needs better apps, windows phone apps are buggy and stupid. Moreover, many apps which are popular among youth are still not in windows phone app store. For,example: BBM for windows phone..its very important to consider apps heavily used by young generation..

I gifted WP to my brother, he is 17years old.. He was so depressed due to limitations of WP. So i exchanged my Samsung s4 with my small brother..

He is dam popular among friends due to smartest phone.. Even iPhone guys are planning to get s4.

Best options will be,
IPhone 5s or Samsung s4
Than its up to you and your budget.. And android phone is budget friendly too.. Choice is of parents..

i completely disagree with you bro.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I thought same before gifting my brother. But it caused nightmare.

Counter argues are welcomed..

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ive seen this thread bounce here for while now, so I will participate... I havent read any other comments so its just my 2 cents. Bottom line: give her what she wants or she will complain.

And thruth to be told, WP still lags in some areas...

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Sensors
Camera
Resolution
Apps

Its fantastic.

Best options will be,
IPhone 5s or Samsung s4

This post makes me want to barf. If you're popular because of your phone, you're hanging out with the wrong people.

Ive seen this thread bounce here for while now, so I will participate... I havent read any other comments so its just my 2 cents. Bottom line: give her what she wants or she will complain.

And thruth to be told, WP still lags in some areas...

So if she wants a Ferrari, get her one so she doesn't complain?

If she wants an iPhone and you don't want to get her one, let her buy it with her own money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers