iPhone 5C or Nokia Lumia 1520 for my mom? (60 years old)

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I want to buy my mom the best phone available. All of her friends have high end phones and my moms phone is a very old cell phone. Has a screen only for numbers and text messages to show. I found a pic online...pretty much as old as this:

old mobile.jpg

I was eating with her friends and they were showing pictures to my mom...etc.. One of them asked my mom if she can text her a picture and my mom said she cant see any pictures.. I felt like sh-it.

So what is the best phone for my mom?

blur510

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
how is she with tech? I just recently upgraded my mom from a flip phone to a nokia 521.. and she can't really use it. (she is 68) I have showed her how to use the people hub 3 times and still can't call other people (other than the ones pinned on the start screen) Get her a 520 first see how she likes it.

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
how is she with tech? I just recently upgraded my mom from a flip phone to a nokia 521.. and she can't really use it. (she is 68) I have showed her how to use the people hub 3 times and still can't call other people (other than the ones pinned on the start screen) Get her a 520 first see how she likes it.

she is not good with technology but is a fast learner. A while back she helped my little sister add phone numbers and contacts to a nokia lumia 710 phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
iphone for ease.

Ha, this opinion won't be popular here, but having used both OS's, I wouldn't say it's totally off the wall. I found that WP is quite simple at first, but once you get into it much the learning curve becomes steep very quickly. But likely an older person will not get too deeply into it, so that's probably not an issue.

The size of the 1520 would be an advantage for aging eyes, but yet the size of the device may be a detriment. For your mom the features & UI probably aren't a big deal either way, so I'd recommend letting her play with both and see which she prefers.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Ha, this opinion won't be popular here

yeah i am not really into which popular side to back, am too old for all that, just giving my opinion based on op requirements, my elderly father was only able to get to grips with an iphone, nothing else, but thats not gonna be everyones story, i am WP owner myself :)

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Didn't WP do better in testing for ease of use for new smartphone users? I recall it was WP8 in first, iOS second and android third.

I find some older users not able to see the iPhone screen as well since it is so small. But at 60 that probably wouldn't be an issue.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The question is: Which phone (of the two you mention, or perhaps a different model) does your mom want?

While we want our parents to have what we consider the best smartphone, our parents may want something different. The two models you mention are great devices, but perhaps if she had a phone similar to, or exactly like, her friends, she would be happy; not to mention, she would have support from them on how to do certain functions on the phone, and be able to install the same apps that they have.

Just have a candid discussion with your mother first before making the purchase.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My mother is 74 and has an android phone. She hates it because she just wants a phone to be a phone and last a week on a charge. The idea of keeping it on the charger all night doesn't register with her :).

She's a bit of a tech when it comes to PCs so she doesn't see the need to have apps and the sort on the phone.

She's always missing my calls now because her battery is dead.

psamf24

May 24, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 but i will say the 925 is another option. my dad is 68 years old now and he wasn't into smartphones but he loves his 925 now .
well you know smartphone are like music we just have to let it grow on us.

psykojello

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Both my parents have been using iphones for 2-3 years without issues, but ios7 seems to have irritated them. It might be the smaller fonts and smaller links that frustrate them. I was trying to teach my grandmom how to use her new iPad and I found it hard to explain the "ok", "done" and "close" buttons and why they were not always in the same place. And now they look like blue text and not buttons, so it might be harder for them to get used to.

That being said, given enough time anyone can pick it up.

Wps are big and easy to use, but they might run into frustrations when someone wants to facetime with them and they have to say can you Skype instead?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)