iPhone -> windows phone user... What should I be using in place of apple maps/google maps?

the4ork

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't look like there is an official google supported google maps, just a 3rd party one. What's the recommendation? Here and the 3rd party google apps are very clunky, unrefined and not visually appetizing.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
HERE Maps and HERE Drive. Just be sure to configure the preferences to either include toll roads or not, and fastest vs shortest route. Otherwise you might get odd directions. I set mine to balanced route and include tolls for the most options. I'm in northern California, USA and it avoided toll roads when I first used it and routed me out of my way. I got the correct route after playing with the settings.

Also if you download a navigation voice and use a Bluetooth earpiece it will read the directions to you at the right time and you can still talk to your passengers or play music without missing your turns.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
NOKIA Here Maps, it should come preinstalled

Depends what phone the OP has though, if it's Samsung or HTC then it won't be preinstalled. The interesting thing is that the standard maps app uses the same downloadable map data as HERE Maps and HERE Drive.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't look like there is an official google supported google maps, just a 3rd party one. What's the recommendation? Here and the 3rd party google apps are very clunky, unrefined and not visually appetizing.

The main reason why I opted for Window Phone is because of the offline Nokia's Here Maps and Here Drive. HERE Maps are free for all Window Phone (preinstalled in Nokia but available for free in Window Store for non-Nokia). HERE Drive are free for all Nokia but available only to some non-Nokia phone in certain countries. There is another HERE Drive+ which I wouldn't get into.

the4ork

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
i was hoping to find something like the apple version like when i type in burgers, it lists all the places that sells burgers, and then has their star rating based on yelp. when you click on it, you get all the info, ability to get directions, and also all the yelp reviews

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
i was hoping to find something like the apple version like when i type in burgers, it lists all the places that sells burgers, and then has their star rating based on yelp. when you click on it, you get all the info, ability to get directions, and also all the yelp reviews

My search button does that. Press search, type in "burgers", then scroll past the first web results. You should see a local map, based on your location and nearby results. Yelp ratings, phone numbers, and a "drive" button that opens HERE drive to give you directions.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Don't forget Local Scout for this. Just click on the map, at the top, and search away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6