Wait for new releases or buy a lumia now?

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,
I have a bit of a problem, on deciding to buy a phone. I currently have a Samsung S3, but it's getting old (battery not charging fully even after 7 hours, screen lags a lot, phone gets hot constantly, problems with communication). So I decided to get a Windows Phone as I have Surface 2 and use a an exclusive Microsoft-service only (Skype, Skydrive, Office).
My question is, is it better to buy a Lumia 925 now, or wait for future releases. I am aiming for a 5" phone, so the 1520 is out of the question, and the 1020 is just too weird as I don't take as much photography and already have my own camera.

Thanks,
Dennis

Warren Sammut

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
What I can tell you is that I bought the Lumia 925 on launch about 4/5 months ago and i don't regret the decision. If i had to buy a new phone today, given the current choice in the market, I would still buy the Lumia 925.

It's kind of at the end of the current Lumia lifecycle, so waiting wouldn't be a bad idea, however it would depend on how much you are willing to wait. There is currently no information on when we can expect the new generation of phones or windows to arrive, so it makes the waiting all the more painful.

However in my opinion you cannot go wrong wit the 925.

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
I'm waiting until next year. My Lumia 920 is still serving me faithfully. I don't think we'll see any next generation phones until Windows Phone 8.1 gets released.

However, I must say my next phone MUST have 64gb or no sale. My 32gb is pretty much maxed out, and it's the main reason I refused to upgrade to the 1020. AT&T would not sell the 64gb version, so guess what? Less sales. At least offer the option.

Maybe they will learn in 2014.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
ok thanks a lot guys! I decided to go the middle way then, buy a L520 while waiting for the new releases in 2014 (hopefully). And so far am satisfied with the L520!

brdl04

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 920 was announced in Sept and released in Nov. If 3 months from probably CES announcement is not too long to wait, then wait. If not, get the 925.

Chris Coyle

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Im in the same boat. My daily driver is L920. I'm a developer, so I also have L520 to test 512mb devices. I have a L620 promised to me from DLVUP rewards, and almost have enough points for a L820. I can upgrade right now to a ATT next plan and wanting a yellow 1020. Still, its like 3-4 months to a new 8.1 device. What to do? Uugh..

sachi24

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
There is an app called Galaxy Charging Current (gcc). Search for it in XDA.

This app shows the incoming current to the battery : "current_max".
It should match current specified on the charger.

If its 800 then slow charging is expected.

Check the number of pins on the Microusb cable. If its 4 then just buy another cheap cable with 5 pins and test it.

It makes absolutely no sense why all of a sudden the same cable is outputting less current!!! Its too flakey.

Anyways for ur other q i recommend handling Lumia 1520 in shops and decide.
Granted in a few months Lumia 929 with same specs appear but the volume level on 1520 is awesome. This is only possible because of the phablet size.

Being a s3 owner myself i know the audio quality on s3 and lumia 925 wont satisfy you in audio aspect.

Snapdragon 800 audio codec being notoriously famous for quiet audio. HTC overcomes it by installing hardware amplifiers in its phones. Others don't do anything special. I don't know what nokia has done, but audio quality is good and loud.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett