So whats up with Nokia HERE maps?

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I have had some mapping programs send me some questionable routes in the past, but I can not fathom how Nokia chose this route...

Directions from Alpharetta, GA to Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, GA:

Normal route would be primarily hwy/interstate: GA400 -> I-285 -> I-85, etc.. Google and Apple maps list is as 109 Miles, 1 hr and 44 mins.

This is the way HERE Maps recommended:

WP_20131208.jpg

Ooookaaay..... (For those who can't tell, its ALL backroads, no highways... almost like it was told to avoid them, but I didn't tell it to do that!) :amaze: Weird.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It seems a software glitch that disables the switch to turn off highways is still set. Try clearing the cache and see if that resolves it. If not reinstall Here. It happens.

Patrick Richardson1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
its crazy i just saw your post,a co worker and myself just finshed a 23hour shift and was counting on heremaps to get us to the interstate.man ill tell you it took us in circles and said home was 3hrs when it was only an hour and a half drive......

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
yeah i'd check if you have avoid highways somehow still on
are any of the highways tolled? maybe it's the avoid toll roads that's a problem?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
its crazy i just saw your post,a co worker and myself just finshed a 23hour shift and was counting on heremaps to get us to the interstate.man ill tell you it took us in circles and said home was 3hrs when it was only an hour and a half drive......

lol. I remember having the same issues in Vegas with Google maps. Rather than off the freeway to the left where the restaurant is I was intending to go to, it took a right turn headed to Nellis AFB.

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
yeah i'd check if you have avoid highways somehow still on
are any of the highways tolled? maybe it's the avoid toll roads that's a problem?

I checked the settings and it was set to avoid tolled highways, but even going the "Google Route", I wouldn't have crossed any toll booths. Weird.

Overall, I just think it was a glitch, but as a new user (2 days in), its a bit concerning. Hopefully, it won't have any more issues.

Edit: Well, I re-downloaded and its better, but still not great.

Google Says: 86.9 Miles (1hr 30 mins) from my office
Callaway.jpg

Nokia HERE says: 95 miles (1hr 47 mins) - Avoiding straight Interstate (with no accidents/traffic, i checked) to choose backroads until Palmetto, GA. Weird.
WP_20131209.jpg

Ugh. While that is better, its still not very confidence inspiring. :-(

Last edited:

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I checked the settings and it was set to avoid tolled highways, but even going the "Google Route", I wouldn't have crossed any toll booths. Weird.

Overall, I just think it was a glitch, but as a new user (2 days in), its a bit concerning. Hopefully, it won't have any more issues.

maybe it considers your highways tolled, even if the portion you're going on isn't?
either a glitch or a classification error

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
maybe it considers your highways tolled, even if the portion you're going on isn't?
either a glitch or a classification error

Well, the very first highway (GA 400) from Alpharetta is the only toll road (and technically, its not anymore - stopped over Thanksgiving, but I don't expect any maps to be updated yet).

The majority of the original trip is on non-tolled Interstate. I don't know if I can count on this to provide accurate directions :-(

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, the very first highway (GA 400) from Alpharetta is the only toll road (and technically, its not anymore - stopped over Thanksgiving, but I don't expect any maps to be updated yet).

The majority of the original trip is on non-tolled Interstate. I don't know if I can count on this to provide accurate directions :-(

so if you turn off avoid toll roads, does it give you the route that you want?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

My wife doesn't trust any GPS mapping since they all have their quirks. I have not had a problem with Here myself but I use Navagon USA as my primary because it has some functionality Here does not yet have. My other gem is CoPilot GPS.

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So it has done the same thing again - Seemingly avoiding (most) interstates (not I-26). I was in Asheville, NC this weekend and was about to head home and these are the directions it gave me:

WP_20131216.jpg

The directions were looked up in Nokia HERE (not HERE+). Everything was on (except unpaved roads).
This is normally a 3 hour, 10 minute drive - 198 mile via I-26, US-25, I-85.
The maps did great this weekend, otherwise. Took us around Asheville with almost perfect accuracy.

I really love my Nokia 925, but this is a serious concern (and THE reason my wife wont give up her iPhone). Where can I report these issues to Nokia?

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Richard, just so you are aware, Nokia have released an update for HERE Drive today, which Fixes Bugs and improves stability apparently. You should see the update appear soon on your Store Live Tile, but if you wish to update it now, just go into the Store and search for HERE Drive and tap on it. At the bottom, it should show the Update button.

I don't which Bugs or Improvements they have made specifically, but hopefully it stops this routing issue you're having every now and then.

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Richard, just so you are aware, Nokia have released an update for HERE Drive today, which Fixes Bugs and improves stability apparently....I don't which Bugs or Improvements they have made specifically, but hopefully it stops this routing issue you're having every now and then.

Yes, I was happy to see an update! Here is to hoping it addresses the issue...

pavvento said:
What about when you use drive instead of maps? in drive you can adjust the route optimization for fastest route.
Perhaps going directly to Drive+ would work better. Traditionally, I do look up the address using Nokia HERE Maps to get an overview of my route or to determine distance (not for turn-by-turn navigation purposes). Then, if I do need turn-by-turn, I will click on the "Start Navigation" button.

It is worth noting, though: When the original issue occurred (to Callaway Gardens), I checked the route through Maps and Drive+ and both recommended that route (with "fastest" route chosen). I didnt check Drive+ this last time, though. Today, everything seems perfect. Even the route from post #7 above now matches the Google Maps route. Weird, but I'm not going to complain! :)

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I got funky directions like this as well. I adjusted the settings and told it to provide either balanced or fastest routes and it matches up with my girlfriends iPhone maps now. Not sure if that's good or bad though :/

RodimusMajor

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone think these might be an all-over issue with HERE services in general? As I pointed out in my own thread, whole swaths of bus data on HERE Transit seemingly just disappeared after I got the latest update.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Richard, I saw the route takes you through the Atlanta loop. If it's anything like the DC Beltway or the Houston loop, you're better off going around it. I wonder if this is a consideration in the mapping software (persistent congestion pattern).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett