iPhone market share projected to be 68% in US by the time the market saturates

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
For all those saying "well, it'll never happen since Android has an 80% markershare", here's some food for thought

Why an 80% market share might only represent half of smartphone users | Technology | theguardian.com

Well even with whatever spin people want to put on it iphones being 68% of the installed activated consumer user base is a tough pill to swallow. That leaves 32% for Android and Windows Phone. With $50-$80 Nokia 520s out there and a host of cheap Android phones I just don't see how that is possible.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well even with whatever spin people want to put on it iphones being 68% of the installed activated consumer user base is a tough pill to swallow. That leaves 32% for Android and Windows Phone. With $50-$80 Nokia 520s out there and a host of cheap Android phones I just don't see how that is possible.

its possible because you can get some iPhones for free on contract. It doesn't matter what the off contract price is if the on-contract is $0.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
At the moment, I can't see Apple taking 68% in the US. I can see them gaining some more marketshare in the US, but not to that extent. I can't see Android being knocked off the top spot for many years to come, especially worldwide.

This is anecdotal, but I've seen many people move from Android to iPhone due to issues they've had... namely the big ones such as lag or lack of stability. I've never once heard a lay person complain about lack of updates though - which is of course the other big issue Android devices have.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
its possible because you can get some iPhones for free on contract. It doesn't matter what the off contract price is if the on-contract is $0.

That is true. I suppose there are a lot of Apple zombies that will take two year old outdated tech just so they can say they have an idevice. I got a Lumia 900 for free when they first came out and I plan on getting a 1520 for $99 or less at some point. No way I am going to pay $199 for an iphone 5s or get some small screen outdated PoS idevice.

HeyItsSerelet

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about the rest of the world, but in my town, most of the population is rich. Currently in high school, I see mostly everyone with iPhones, including staff and sometimes even middle and elementary school aged children with them. I have a Lumia 920 currently, and I constantly get made fun of for having the device because of the size and how it isn't an iPhone. When i ask my friends what phone they are upgrading to, its not even a question because they always upgrade to iPhone, as if its the only good phone. My town treats Apple like its the only good company. I've probably only see 10 androids in that school and 2 WP devices and I've been in the school system for a few years now. So I do see apple rising here, but not sure about anywhere else

NoNexus

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
lol, this is a troll post isnt it?

If anything, iOS is losing ground to Android and WP
WP is taking a majority of the BB users that jump ship

in the end it will be 50% Android

WP and iOS can fight for the other 50%

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think that getting near 70% market for anyone would be ridiculous unless all the competition just sucked.

I've been seeing a lot of MS ads lately. I would not be surprised to see Windows Phones get to 20% by the time the market saturates, which may still be a few years away.

Remember, to reach saturation you have to attract people who currently do not use smart phones. Many of these people are budget conscious and don't want to have expensive data plans. Instead, they'll buy a phone outright and use a cheap non-data plan. They may go with a 3rd party carrier.

I also am not seeing the momentum necessary for Apple to accomplish 68%.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't "often talk about the $50 Lumia 520." That was the first time I've seen it and mentioned it. And you can certainly go out and get a 520 in the US that isn't locked to at&t. Tmobile routinely sells one for $80 something dollars off contract. If you get a 520 in the US and pay anywhere near $150 off contract for it you are getting totally ripped off.

I'm not sure you're following what I'm talking about here. There is a difference between the terms "off contract" and "unlocked." You are absolutely correct that you can go out and get a 520 in the US that isn't locked to AT&T. But you will pay $149.92 for it. You are also correct in saying that T-Mobile routinely sells one for $80 something dollars off contract. T-Mobile's is a 521, which is a 520 variant. But, it's SIM locked to T-Mobile.

So yes, you can get a 520/521 in the US for +/- $75, but it's not the same one sold worldwide. One will work only on AT&T, and the other will work only on T-Mobile. I don't know actual sales numbers of unlocked 520's vs. AT&T locked 520's, but I would think a good share of worldwide sales are the unlocked version. Those cost $150, not $50.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
*cough* in sensible countries it is illegal to sell carrier locked phones *cough* :wink:

Ha yes I agree, but there's nothing I can do about that. Actually there is, I buy unlocked phones! :amaze: (I'll make an exception for a very very good deal!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786