Apple just won the phone wars - game set and match.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
So many extra sensors are gimmicks. Android owns nearly 80% of the global smartphone market. I hardly see some heartbeat sensor pulling the large majority of those people away from the green robot.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Heart rate, schmart rate. Quantified self stuff is sooooo 2013, and according to my calendar we're a week away from 2014....

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Apple Granted 23 Patents Today Including an Embedded Heart Rate Monitor that could be integrated into a future iWatch - Patently Apple

Already a 64-bit A7 processor with motion co-processor(now we know for hover touch and eye tracking). Embedded heart-rate monitor and improved Siri/Maps. It's game over folks. In 2015, anyone who has 2 bits to rub together is buying an iPhone 6.

If it comes with a 5 inch screen or better, there will be a folk taking a second look.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Already a 64-bit...

What do you use 64-bit processors for?
On my desktop I use it to address more than 4 gigs of total memory and transcode video... two things I can't imagine doing on a phone any time soon.

I thought after the release of the 1520 people would realize that WP 8 really doesn't need a crazy amount of hardware to run decently. The speed boost from the Lumia 900 to the quadcore 1520 is there but it is no where near as mind blowing as the specs would lead you to believe. Let's not go down the Andriod spec blackhole. Let's just get the specs we need, not the specs that look pretty on paper and drive up the cost of phones while draining the battery.

I felt no need to even address the heart rate monitor foolishness. Yes it might be nice for some fitness nuts but it's just a gimmick for everyone else.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Some people just don't like to be like other people. To me it isn't about smart brains or choice. I like to be holding the device that stirs more conversation between people, I sure know my lumia does the job, you know, connecting people ;-)

I've become a master at pitching Lumia 1020's and Surface Pro 2's, because any time I use either one, I always get questions... It's getting kinda annoying, but then again, I also kinda relish the fact that my devices always get everyone to look up from what they're doing and stare (and I don't even have one of the crazy colors!).

So many times a day am I asked, "Is that the phone with the amazing camera?" "Why does your phone have such a big case [camera grip]?" "Wait, that thing is a phone?" "Is that the Surface?"

Ahh people. I suppose I'm the black sheep in an otherwise white herd, surrounded by Androids and iPhones. But it's so silly how I always manage to shatter their views on the world when I walk in armed with my Lumia and my Surface. :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well Well,
It seems the Patent war will continue.. OP Forgot about the Patent Nokia Got in the View attachment 52737
So Definitely Nokia will start fight back soon :p

What about the patent 8615432 Doesnt it look like Windows Push Notification Services
hm hm, Be ready to see a fight/Joke :D

The clock looks pretty, mostly because it looks exactly like the lockscreen on WP/Windows 8. Very beautiful. As for all the other screens? I don't know why, but in the patient diagram, they look very unclean... I don't know how to describe it, but I reminds me of iOS 6 and earlier. Very ugly. Hopefully that's just for the sake of the patient, because I'd be very disappointed if Nokia brought something like this to market with that ugliness of an OS.

Metro UI all the way!

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had an iPhone 4, 4s, and 5. I also have owned a Lumia 920. I left apple for WP8. And I honestly enjoyed the phone deeply, even though I left to go back to apple. And that was for one reason apps. And as of now I will be purchasing a Lumia 1520 tomorrow. WP8 has finally grown to a point where I can fully shake iOS. So these patents that you speak of I have totally no use for. But rest assured if WP 8.1 is in any what it needs to be then Microsoft is gonna be here a min.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I still do not see the point of a smart watch.

Me neither... We are getting phones with bigger screens to be able to browse the web, type and view our feeds better, where's the point with 1" screen? Are you so lazy or busy that you dont want to pick your phone from your pocket and see the message? Even if so, often at the same time we do something else, like check the feed real quick. I would also just love the fact you need to charge 2 devices...

And Im sorry I have a watch, 2 actually. These are not some plastic craps, these are real quality watches.

I dont see future for smart watch, I think its just an industrys way of trying to generate new source of income. However smart watch most likely will be a stepping stone to something that might be the next big thing...

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the link in logic between having patents for a heart rate monitor and winning the phone wars, almost by default, as I interpreted this thread. That said, the phone wars are far from over, because Android has so many weapons and manufacturers in there that I don't even think iOS can win in terms of overall market-share...It's just numerically impossible. That said, Apple will still sell alot of phones and they will have a sizable chunk, but unless it's a monopoly, which isn't with the presence of Android around, they haven't won anything.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
To get a device with a 4 inch screen and no Microsoft app integration.... I don't think so... Still junk no matter what you put in it.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple Granted 23 Patents Today Including an Embedded Heart Rate Monitor that could be integrated into a future iWatch - Patently Apple

Already a 64-bit A7 processor with motion co-processor(now we know for hover touch and eye tracking). Embedded heart-rate monitor and improved Siri/Maps. It's game over folks. In 2015, anyone who has 2 bits to rub together is buying an iPhone 6.

Improve their maps? They were so pathetic, they couldn't go anywhere BUT up - good god. And an imbedded heart rate monitor - wow that has been on everyone's wish list for years!

Have fun with your iPhone 6. Enjoy those static icons and improved 4.1" display. I'll miss you here....

EDIT: I fell for the troll and deserve my shame. Well done, OP.

Last edited:

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if the so called Heart Monitor malfunctions Giving some wrong values, then how many Apple Fans will have heart attack??

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am all in on this Apple stuff now. I am scared for MS's future. This going-nowwhere-doing-nothing-never-get-headlines corporation that has no resources, very little money, and no basis on which to build on is getting BURRIED by the mobile juggernaut that is Apple.

Because EVERYTHING Apple does turns to gold and buries Microsoft, Google, Samsung and all the other competition. I mean, look at their Macs which outsell MS products, their Smart TV's which outsell LG, Samsung and Vizio, their mapping tech with Tom-Tom which has Nokia shaking in their boots, their search engine is kicking Google and Bing to the curb on mobile devices, the iPhone 5C is a runaway success, iTunes is so reasonably priced and the ONLY real option for media and is so easy to use, the iPhone hasn't lost ANY sales, the iPad is the only tablet with any success still to this day....

*pulls muscle laughing, unable to keep a straight face any longer*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss