In need for better E-reader with built-in offline dictionary.

StNiko

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi :smile:

I've installing dozens of ereader apps for WP8 and none of them is good enough.

Ereader apps which including built-in dictionary worked so bad, such as Freda - many steps to translate just a word + require internet connection.

The only ereader I've found providing instant translation - ERBY eReader but require network as well.

So, Is there any ereader app with buili-in offline dictionary and instant translation?

Thanks.

Jim Chapman

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Freda - many steps to translate just a word ....
With the latest version, it's not so many UI actions - drag to select the word; a menu will pop up; pick 'look up' and then tap the 'search' button. Not sure I can reasonably make it use fewer UI actions :)
But I agree it's a pity that it only works with network connectivity. If anyone can suggest a 'free for commercial use' language dictionary resource, I will be happy to integrate it into the app! But the only dictionary resources I found require licence payments (and no-one would buy my app if it cost $20).

Or failing that, does anyone know of a third-party dictionary app that registers a URI scheme on the phone (so I can launch it programmatically).

Last edited:

mailings

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I know, excuse me for resurrecting an old thread, but I have two suggestions. One is Wordnet, not 100% sure, but I believe it is free for Comercial use.
Second, and better. Instead of providing the dictionary add support for some dictionary file format (stardict) that way is the user who has to pay for the dictionary, or use any of the already available
To

ReD_86FRiTZ

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been also looking for an e-reader with a built-in offline dictionary and I've stumbled upon this cool e-reader: Tucan Reader (Kindly look for it in your "store" as I cannot post links because this is my first post:eek:rly: sorry about that hehe)

With this e-reader, I've downloaded a lot of online dictionaries thru Silverdict (which you also need to download). The procedure in acquiring dictionaries is very easy:
Open Tucan Reader, go to settings then go to translation (swipe right or left to find it). in the translation page, change the default translation provider to Silverdict and it will prompt you to download it.
After downloading Silverdict, open the application then go to dictionary manager (touch the three dots in the lower part of the app). now go to online repository (swipe left or right to find it) then wait for the different online dictionaries avalable (you need to be online though to download the dictionaries you want). Double tap the one you want to download (as many as you want) and wait until it is finished downloading. The completed dictionary downloads can be seen in "my dictionaries" page (again, swipe left or right), then tick the enabled box of the downloaded dictionary you want to use (again, as many as you want).
Finally, Exit the application and open Tucan reader. Open your book and touch the word you want to be translated, there are six things to choose from here, the third one is the translator or the one you want to "dictionarize" (i'm not sure if there is a word such as "dictionarize" hahaha). Also the sixth circle is the speech command (If you want to hear how the word is spoken).
There you have it, An e-reader with an offline dictionary.
This is my first post so I hope I did help those people looking for e-reader with offline dictionary. XOXO

myself11

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
ReD_86FRiTZ: thanking you for your post is the reason I've just registered in WPCentral. Thanks!

I was an early Silverdict beta tester. The possibility of it being "called" by another app was one of the things I asked for to the developer, but at that time (WP/), the OS didn't allow communication between apps. I returned to Windows Phone devices just a couple of days ago (Lumia 930) and I was looking for an e-reader app that could do just this, since with WP8 third-party developers can use 'SilverDict' as an add-on dictionary.

I've tried several other ereader apps, but none had this functionality, nor the Tucson options. It is trully the best (I can't understand why Kindle app is so far behind Android and iOS versions...).

Kristinche

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Guys, there is one more great reader with Silverdict integration for offline translation - Bookviser. Here?s how to make it work:

Select the word by tapping it > tap one more time to pop up the menu > choose "Translate" > change default provider (Bing) to Silverdict > tap "translate" button at the bottom of the screen > install Silverdict > return to Bookviser > again tap "translate" button at the bottom of the screen > select languages > download dictionary > you have it. Some screenshots of the process:

silver1.jpgsilver2.jpgsilver3.jpg

toilaai8191

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I've been also looking for an e-reader with a built-in offline dictionary and I've stumbled upon this cool e-reader: Tucan Reader (Kindly look for it in your "store" as I cannot post links because this is my first post:eek:rly: sorry about that hehe)

With this e-reader, I've downloaded a lot of online dictionaries thru Silverdict (which you also need to download). The procedure in acquiring dictionaries is very easy:
Open Tucan Reader, go to settings then go to translation (swipe right or left to find it). in the translation page, change the default translation provider to Silverdict and it will prompt you to download it.
After downloading Silverdict, open the application then go to dictionary manager (touch the three dots in the lower part of the app). now go to online repository (swipe left or right to find it) then wait for the different online dictionaries avalable (you need to be online though to download the dictionaries you want). Double tap the one you want to download (as many as you want) and wait until it is finished downloading. The completed dictionary downloads can be seen in "my dictionaries" page (again, swipe left or right), then tick the enabled box of the downloaded dictionary you want to use (again, as many as you want).
Finally, Exit the application and open Tucan reader. Open your book and touch the word you want to be translated, there are six things to choose from here, the third one is the translator or the one you want to "dictionarize" (i'm not sure if there is a word such as "dictionarize" hahaha). Also the sixth circle is the speech command (If you want to hear how the word is spoken).
There you have it, An e-reader with an offline dictionary.
This is my first post so I hope I did help those people looking for e-reader with offline dictionary. XOXO

thank man, its extremely useful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans