Your recommended RSS feeds app?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little sad that my favourite all time RSS feed app "Fuse" has broke on me since upgrading to the Lumia 1520. I no longer get live tiles. In fact I just get a blank solid colour tile with text on one side. But in terms of features and layout I've hard extreme difficultly finding a suitable replacement with a beautiful live tile. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on some solid replacements until Fuse gets these bugs sorted out.

Features I'd like to keep are the ability to to share articles via social media, ability to view article pictures and read the full article without opening the webpage in IE, offline article reading and ability to open embedded videos.

So as long as it has those features, and the layout is nice and it comes with a decent live tile I'd love to check it out. I've been using Pheed since Fuse stopped working properly but the article thumbnails are buggy as most of time they show a solid grey square and most articles still require me to visit their website to read which defeats the purpose of the app.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I spent a bit of time trying all the suggested apps and oddly enough I still finding myself preferring Fuse most. Reasons being that Fuse allows for offline reading, full articles are displayed (which I found was an inconsistent feature in some of the others) and article pictures display without issues on Fuse (also inconsistent on the others). Phonly and Weave were the only apps that displayed nice live tiles. Flux didn't seem to have one at all despite that there is an option for a live tile within the app. I found myself liking the layout of Phonly and kept that one saved but I dislike that I can't have the full article download by default.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear it stopped working. Fuse is my favorite news reader for WP, and I've tried quite a few. (NextGen, Weave, Phonly, metro news reader,) Good luck! If you do find a replacement, tell me about it!

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Im excited about this thread because I was getting in to the world of RSS feeds just last week for the first time. I took Nextgen reader mainly because I downloaded it for free at some point, so I was able now get it for free. Yesterday the live tile of the reader stopped working.... I dont know why, I have tried re-pin, boot the phone so some small things without help. Anyway I hate the fact I need to use Google login with it, so I would like to use something else.

What I need from the reader is mainly that I can do my own group of specific sources and have a live tile to that specific feed. If there is a Win8 app also that can sync with the WP app its a great bonus! I found one (maybe it was named Weave?) that used MS's Azure cloud to sync. Its great except the add free version to WP costs like 8?... 8?!?!?!? WTF... I always pay and buy all my apps because I hate adds, but seriously 8?, thats freaking insane.

I was eager to test Fuse (Rudy!) after reading this, but learned that you cant pin live tiles to a specific feed?

So any suggestions you guys could have for me I will have a look at them.

Last edited:

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Fuse does actually allow you to pin specific groups. Give it a try. There might be a trial too. I've tried over 6 different of the most popular RSS apps in the last few weeks and haven't found anything as simple and fully functional as Fuse. You can even add YouTube feeds and watch videos within Fuse and it can download full articles with embedded pictures. Like I mentioned originally, my only complaint was my live tiles were displaying properly. It may be a bug specific to my 1520 so it may not happen to you. Either way I messaged Rudy (the app dev) to let him know.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes I tried Fuse it has a trial. When pinning a group it promts "cant create live tile, this causes too many web requests" or something like that. Pinnin a tile to a group works yes, but I want it to be live tile so I can see unread article count and prefedably also last unread title etc. I already uninstalled the app, can someone confirm this or did I miss something?

Heres the promt:

wp_ss_20140116_0001.png

Last edited:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Using Fuse now. The design is really beautiful, also it works great when reading articles (as OP mentioned).

I still think it has few not so good things.

Would be great to have some way to backup your feedlist (SkyDrive maybe?

The main issue though is still the live tile thing I said before. I have a small group that need to follow, only about 5 articles coming in a day. As this is important to me, I want a live tile. In Fuse folders cant have live tiles, so the only way is to pin the main tile. Mid- size tile shows the count, or big tile can also show headline of the latest. The tile is also utilizing space a lot worse than other readers. Most can display count+information+even a picture in the mid-size tile.

I would also like to follow more feeds, mainly news, but now I cant. They would bury my tile notifications about the important things, as it shows everything in the main tile.

I guess the search still continues, but like I said, the design is beautiful. Maybe Rudy lost intrest on developing this further as some other apps probably make way more money...?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Using Fuse now. The design is really beautiful, also it works great when reading articles (as OP mentioned).

I still think it has few not so good things.

Would be great to have some way to backup your feedlist (SkyDrive maybe?

The main issue though is still the live tile thing I said before. I have a small group that need to follow, only about 5 articles coming in a day. As this is important to me, I want a live tile. In Fuse folders cant have live tiles, so the only way is to pin the main tile. Mid- size tile shows the count, or big tile can also show headline of the latest. The tile is also utilizing space a lot worse than other readers. Most can display count+information+even a picture in the mid-size tile.

I would also like to follow more feeds, mainly news, but now I cant. They would bury my tile notifications about the important things, as it shows everything in the main tile.

I guess the search still continues, but like I said, the design is beautiful. Maybe Rudy lost intrest on developing this further as some other apps probably make way more money...?

Glad you're liking Fuse! I do agree a feed backup option is needed. As for live tiles.. When mine worked on the 920 I would pin the group and it would show a picture from the latest article on one side, then article heading I think on the other. Unfortunately that isn't the case for me now. Now if I pin my group it shows an article heading and webpage name only on one side with a completely blank tile only showing the feed group name on the other. Is that what yours shows? And it doesn't update. If I pin the app to the homescreen I get the last article heading, the webpage name, time and the # of new feeds and it does not flip. If I pin a specific feed it shows the same as if I pinned the app to the homescreen however it will only update that specific feed and not the whole group. Does that all make sense?

Anyway, the live tiles worked better for my 920 so I don't know if the issue is only on my 1520 or if you see these blank tiles too. Hopefully it gets an update soon. He used to update it regularly. But he has so many new apps in development so I doubt he's concerned with Fuse. Though all these apps are due for a 1080p update anyway.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Uh you think Im crazy, but I already moved (I bought Fuse yesterday). I went crazy (if not stupid) and actually bought Weave. Holy **** I cant even think about it, 8,90€ for a app. I was drawn very much for the fact that I can sync my feeds via my MS account, and it uses Azure cloud . So, no need to mess with google at all. Also the fact that there is a Win8 app, I can manage and read everything at big screen also. The Win8 app isnt that great yet, seems I cant pin a tile to a specific group yet and it seems that I cant get rid of adds (no paid version). Anyway I thought this app looks to get updates, the Win8 app surely gets updates and probably paid version comes at some point. Also updates to WP are expected, the handheld is more important device for reading for me anyway.

I dont know did you try it? It has a full free add supported version in the store. Seems that reading etc is pretty similar to Fuse. Seems to work great for me at least. You can follow Youtube channels, but I didnt try to open one yet.

About the live tiles you are correct, that’s how I thought it works also. Yes you can pin a tile to a group, it shows picture and last headline you are correct. But like you said thats not a live tile, it updates only when opening the app, and naturally cant then show unread article count. Now with main tile it shows that, but in my case it would defeat the purpose. With Weave I have this important group pinned with medium live tile, this shows pictures from the group and unread article count. I have now few other groups also. One is WP stuff and one Finnish news. Especially the Finnish news feed, huh it gets 100 articles in half a day so I dont want to have that in a live tile. It would always show just a huge number. If it would be on the same tile with the important feeds count, it would be the same as not having a count at all.

I didn’t see any bugs with Fuse. Although I have Samsung Ativ-S, which of course is basically same device as the 920. I do have interop-unlocked it, and enabled the 3rd row of medium tiles so I same start screen layout as on 1520, but the screen is of course 720p not 1080p if the bug is caused by that.

BTW, I tried maybe 10 readers from the store and one thing I noticed is that these have HUGE difference in finding rare sources with searching only by keywords. These feeds that I searched to my important group are very small 40-80 followers. But still, some couldnt find them at all. Yes you can always get the address but it is a disadvantage. Fuse and Weave both seem to be doing a good job on that though.

EDIT: I did find little strange in Fuse, that the feeds are displayed separately in their own timelines. All the other readers seems to have more conventional main reading style, where everything is mixed together in time order. In the others you can of course separately open a specific feed and have it displayed alone. I think this regular way is better for quick reading, but it probably only is about what you are used to.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well the "live"tiles does not seem to update in Weave for me.. Only when I open and load the feeds the unread tile count updates. As you can probably guess I emailed the developement team. If you ask 8,90€ for app, you better have the basic functionality working like Swizz clock!

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My favorites have always been Nextgen Reader, Flux, and NewsSpot. I've been trying Collector a bit lately, though that's more of a Flipboard alternative. You can still add RSS feeds quite easily though.

bergdaniel

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Well I spent a bit of time trying all the suggested apps and oddly enough I still finding myself preferring Fuse most. Reasons being that Fuse allows for offline reading, full articles are displayed (which I found was an inconsistent feature in some of the others) and article pictures display without issues on Fuse (also inconsistent on the others). Phonly and Weave were the only apps that displayed nice live tiles. Flux didn't seem to have one at all despite that there is an option for a live tile within the app. I found myself liking the layout of Phonly and kept that one saved but I dislike that I can't have the full article download by default.

Full articles can be downloaded in the latest update (1.2.4.0).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05