App for Google hangouts on WP8 - chats with multiple participants?

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone got google hangouts - in particular, chat feature with multiple users - to work on their WP8 phone?

I'm aware of the following apps that claim to support hangouts:
1) IM+ - best of the bunch, last updated in Oct 2013
2) JITalk - last updated mid 2013
3) Gchat - development stalled - last updated 2012

I'm desperately looking for something that supports chat with multiple participants. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

ps Advice to change to Skype or something else is valid but ultimately not what I'm looking for. It's difficult for me to convince 10+ friends to switch app on account of my being the only WP8 user. I really don't want to change phones because of this but it's soon gonna be a deal breaker for me. I have various multi-user conversations going constantly that are important and work-related. Atm, I can't participate when I'm away from my desk.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Not to be a pain but if Google services were that important to you, you picked the wrong OS. The only way Google services (not 3rd party) will ever make it onto WP is if it passes Android/iPhone in sales. But even then it's not a guarantee.

There is always the miracle of Google and MS becoming friends...

Anything 3rd party is not going to be that great and will always be subject to Google API changes. Which is what's probably happened to all the current apps. I believe the API recently changed.

If you're friends/co-workers aren't willing to be flexible in changing apps then you're best to get a Android phone. This is unfortunately the reality of WP at the moment.

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
It's a fair point but to be honest, we can't predict which services we might find important when we purchase a phone. And if we all stuck by this maxim, then WP would have few supporters due to the speed at which it gets apps for popular service (instagram being an example).

For me, google hangout chat has only SUDDENLY become important to my working day. And as such, I think MS's reaction would be: 'Hang on (out? :smile:) in there and we're sure an app will be along in time.' What's more, the two most popular types of smartphone OS BOTH support google hangouts. So your advice might also be: 'You're best to get an Android/iOS phone'.

I can use any other google service I need to within WP8. So my question is just wondering whether anyone has worked out anything for google hangout chat (with multiusers). And as such I think it's a valid one.

I really don't think WP8 fans do themselves a favour by saying 'Our way or the highway' (as they do so frequently on here). There's plenty of scope for compatibility - as we've seen by MS steps to integrate syncing with google calendar etc.

Thanks for replying though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I really don't think WP8 fans do themselves a favour by saying 'Our way or the highway' (as they do so frequently on here). There's plenty of scope for compatibility - as we've seen by MS steps to integrate syncing with google calendar etc.

I personally wish the issues with getting Google services on WP wasn't an issue. However, I'm just going by reality. MS and Google are not the best of friends haven't heard of the Scoogled ads by MS? MS isn't doing itself any favours and seems hell bent on keeping animosity between themselves and Google. Google just needs to make an API change and poof! All 3rd party apps stop working. This is the situation with WP and Google currently. When I first got my WP Google was purposely blocking Google Maps from WP users.

Do you see the issues? MS and Google need to make amends but there are many who feel they're better off without Google. I'm not one of them but I don't use Google services anyway.

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Understand the essence of what you're saying and the animosity is well known to all (WP8 users!). But ultimately I don't care about their rivalry. Like most people, I just want my stuff to work! The reality is only the situation as it is today.

Google hangouts work perfectly with one person (on IM+ for example). It's just multiuser chats that fail. Can it really be an api problem or is it just that the developers of the aforementioned apps have lost interest or found it uneconomic to continue developing? Or is it technically impossible atm?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Understand the essence of what you're saying and the animosity is well known to all (WP8 users!). But ultimately I don't care about their rivalry. Like most people, I just want my stuff to work! The reality is only the situation as it is today.

Google hangouts work perfectly with one person (on IM+ for example). It's just multiuser chats that fail. Can it really be an api problem or is it just that the developers of the aforementioned apps have lost interest or found it uneconomic to continue developing? Or is it technically impossible atm?

I've seen that if you still use the old "Gtalk" chat in your Gmail, you still cannot participate in a multi-user "Hangouts" chat, though you can still chat with individuals. So it doesn't work even between Google platforms and you'd think they would put in the effort to make it work. So no, there seems to be something about the architecture of Hangouts that makes it difficult/impossible to make it work.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain, everyone in my fam is Android this and Android that... I rock a Lumia... Funny thing is Hangouts works better on my iP4s than on my N7..

Luke Paireepinart

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Can a dev comment?

A bit of an old post, but I can comment.

Google Talk is just an implementation of the Jabber protocol. this is an open standard that anyone can implement. They had no user-base and so they needed inter-operability with other chat clients (this was at a time when Yahoo Messenger, MSN and AIM were the big boys.) And gmail was pretty new at the time as well.

So all these pointed toward using an open standard, and they did.

Fast forward to now, GTalk is a widely used IM system and they have a captive audience now. They wanted to guard their userbase by creating a "walled garden" of chat (which, to be fair, is just good business IMHO.) So they invented a new protocol that is specific to Google, and don't provide any public API, so that only approved applications can access it.

It may be possible to reverse-engineer Hangouts just as some have managed to reverse-engineer Chromecast (another "walled garden" which at least has an SDK) but in the end, they can change the API and break compatibility, because it's private and there's no contract to keep support for older versions.

The reason IM + continues to work is that google doesn't want to alienate their old users who prefer google talk or use alternative clients, so the Jabber interface is still active. Eventually they will deem it a necessary expenditure of users and purge the Jabber support so they can more tightly control their chat clients.

People talk about android and Google like they're all about the open-source, but when it comes to Google products, they are anything but. Android is just free / open source for OEMs because it increases the market penetration of proprietary google apps that are a revenue stream for them.

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Might be an old post but I'm still desperate for a solution.

So it doesn't seem possible after all, without an API from google. Ah, well. Thanks again.

Devilstar

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
What really sucks is this is what is holding me back from getting back on the WP train once 8.1 comes. ( I have an HTC 8xt just sitting in a drawer :/ )

Angy Ortiz1

Banned
Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone got google hangouts - in particular, chat feature with multiple users - to work on their WP8 phone?

I'm aware of the following apps that claim to support hangouts:
1) IM+ - best of the bunch, last updated in Oct 2013
2) JITalk - last updated mid 2013
3) Gchat - development stalled - last updated 2012

I'm desperately looking for something that supports chat with multiple participants. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

ps Advice to change to Skype or something else is valid but ultimately not what I'm looking for. It's difficult for me to convince 10+ friends to switch app on account of my being the only WP8 user. I really don't want to change phones because of this but it's soon gonna be a deal breaker for me. I have various multi-user conversations going constantly that are important and work-related. Atm, I can't participate when I'm away from my desk.

Well, try gplus, anywhy it costs 0.99 buck.

Djolle

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Did you tried Nimbuzz? I am using only IM+ to chat individualy but maybe Nimbuzz have what are you looking for ;-)

Sent from my RM-846_eu_russia_201 using Tapatalk

Luke Paireepinart

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
What really sucks is this is what is holding me back from getting back on the WP train once 8.1 comes. ( I have an HTC 8xt just sitting in a drawer :/ )

You need group messaging on your phone so badly that it's a dealbreaker? there are several apps that support normal chats through the legacy Jabber protocol.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
So... What application (if any) allows me to send and receive text messages across platforms without the other user needing to have the application installed on their phone? And if it exists on WP, do any of these also allow for video call, group chat and other features if they DO have the app?

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
So... What application (if any) allows me to send and receive text messages across platforms without the other user needing to have the application installed on their phone? And if it exists on WP, do any of these also allow for video call, group chat and other features if they DO have the app?
TextPlus gives you a real number to text with. For the other things, I'd go with WeChat.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Another option could be to pick up a cheap android tablet on eBay for those few apps that you need that WP doesn't have yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)