Lumia 1820 - Interested in getting one?

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
What good is a 2K display on a 5.2-inch phone? Really...no seriously. There is precisely a point where human eyes cannot distinguish individual pixels. I thought the Apple "retina" term well explained this...but still people want more pixels not knowing squat about what it means and that having too much of them makes no difference whatsoever. :(

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I doubt they will be releasing any 8.1 phones at MWC, but I think it is likely they will demo one. You would think Nokia would get the prototype OS early, being they are owned by MS.

Besides, we might have been "sorely disappointed", if the 929 came out on November 6th, and we had been putting off buying it based on rumors. Since, the 929 has still not been released ... we are missing out on nothing. For me at least, there will be no disappointment, and be a month closer to the 1820!!!

As for Windows 8.1 ... if the 929 comes out shortly, it will not have 8.1. I have read it will be compatible, but knowing Verizon and their extremely slow updates, Windows 8.1 phones will be available long before the 929 has it. I can see the thread already in the 929 forum, 'WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET 8.1?", with numerous rumored release dates that are missed. :winktongue:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I doubt they will be releasing any 8.1 phones at MWC, but I think it is likely they will demo one. You would think Nokia would get the prototype OS early, being they are owned by MS.
If you remember, for a lot of the demos, Microsoft used a generic Nokia device in basically a black box. That's how they will probably demos the OS, or they will just show it running on current hardware.

They won't want to confound the message of the new OS by having the media focus on new hardware, so they will take that element out of any demos. I mean, it's just an 8.1 update, so current hardware is just fine demoing it.

Nokia though doesn't demo new hardware and then not announce it. Never have. They will, as always, hold their own press event for new hardware when they are ready.

And yes, new hardware first, then updates for current devices later.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yea.. that makes sense since Nokia hardware is now directly related to Microsoft's software. MWC has been historically big for Nokia pre-Microsoft, but things are obviously changing.

If the Nokia deal closes by the end of March, as Nadella said yesterday, we might in fact see Microsoft branded devices at Build.. whatever that might be.. I guess no Nokia logo for starters.

savingpvtbryan

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I said it once, I've said it twice...NO NEW WP devices at MWC.

You guys are going to be sorely disappointed, all due to the unnecessary build up of BS rumors.

8.1 devices will come AFTER //build/, not any time before

Ahhh. I'm thirsty for information! Help me WPCentral, you're my only hope.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft and AT&T are starting a new marketing campaign:

Microsoft Will Trade Nokia Lumia Devices For Non-Windows Phone Handsets | Ubergizmo

They are trying to get Samsung and Apple users to switch to Windows ... and get rid of inventory of 1520's before they release new products? Usually, when they start giving a phone away, it is in the last stage of it's product life.

Yes, they're trying to get Samsung and Apple users to switch to Windows Phone... That is the game plan. Neither the 1520 or the 1020 are in the "last stage of their product life." That's absolutely ridiculous thinking.

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Neither the 1520 or the 1020 are in the "last stage of their product life." That's absolutely ridiculous thinking.

I was trying to be positive ... and it is not "ridiculous thinking". All the PC makers dumped their touch screens with Window 7 on them, just before Window 8 was released. Even though they were all supposedly W8 compatible. I know, because I bought one from Lenovo.

The pessimistic alternative is ... W8.1 and the 1820 are many months away (like you are absolutely convinced). Nokia realizes the 1520's can not compete with the upcoming Samsung and Apple products. So, this campaign is competing with the 2 year old Apple and Samsung products.

Your dogged pessimism of the timing and future of the 1820 may turn out to be true ... but the facts are, MS needs a product to cause excitement. The much delayed 929 is not it. Without some Lumia excitement, Microsoft's purchase of Nokia will be a multi-billion dollar loss, just like Google's purchase of Motorola (which they just dumped on Lenovo)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/01/29/google_sells_motorola_to_lenovo_at_a_huge_loss.html

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
This may be the first Microsoft branded phone ... which would explain the extreme specs and make it worth the wait?

Just based on some rumors I saw in another thread, I don't even know if or how accurate they are, I want it so bad!!!!! My Lumia 900 contract ends in April which could easily be the month it's released, and it sounds like the perfect fusion between the 1020 and the 1520, which were the two phones that I'm mulling over which to upgrade to!!! If a Surface 3 Pro is released later this year, this could be the best year ever (devices-wise at least)!!!!!

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The reviews of the Icon are rolling in ... and they are making me want the 1820 even more (or more accurately, the Icon even less :shocked:)

With MWC just a couple weeks away, the lack of leaks on the 1820, makes me doubt it will be there ... but April 2nd is 8.1 Build Date, where we get to know what hardware changes it requires, and then June will be new phones. Hopefully the 1820 ... if not, I will most likely get the rumored iPhablet.

d3ac0n

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Does it come with a Wacom digitizer and a pen? That's the only phone I am interested. Everything else it's just meaningless spec whoring, the android way.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Have not read anything about the 1820 in a while, but at least one website still thinks it is coming to MWC:

Nokia X Android-powered smartphone coming at Mobile World Congress | Digital Trends

So just another website quoting another website who was quoting some unnamed source. All these rumors get traced back to either an idiotic source on twitter or an unknown person. How come all the leakers with a proven track record haven't said anything about this phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo