Lumia 1820 - Interested in getting one?

HyperTRex

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Really do get the feeling that apart from the Nokia X, there are no new phones coming at least until Build. There just have not been enough cross-reported leaks.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it won't be called the 1820 But I think that Nokia/Microsoft will definitely release a camera phablet with a camera even better than the 1020's.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Highly unlikely, the 1020 is the imaging flagship. It will remain THE imaging flagship until its successor comes. Its successor, not 1520's successor.

And btw, I think Daniel has already said that 1820 and 1520v don't exist.

The only confirmed devices are NL 630 and maybe Goldfinger.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I just realized that at the instant I read the sentence in the WPC article that said the green 1520 will have WP8.1 I stopped caring completely whether the 1820 will be real or not. I think this is the closest thing Windows Phone will get to the rumors of the 1820 for a long time.

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I still care ...

WPC claims new phones will be released in June, with 8.1 pre-installed. WPC also did an article titled, 'Is Windows Phone 8.1 too little, too late?':

Is Windows Phone 8.1 too little, too late? | Windows Phone Central

Even they realize 8.1 alone won't save Windows phones. Microsoft needs to release a phone, so good, that even the OS critics say, 'this phone is worth moving to Windows for!'

I am pretty sure changing the color of last years model to green ... ain't gonna do it ... lol

For me, it is a race to using only one OS for PC, phone, tablet. Either the 1820, or the new larger screen iPhone. The first to the market, will get me as a customer for the next decade.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I still care ...

WPC claims new phones will be released in June, with 8.1 pre-installed. WPC also did an article titled, 'Is Windows Phone 8.1 too little, too late?':

Is Windows Phone 8.1 too little, too late? | Windows Phone Central

Even they realize 8.1 alone won't save Windows phones. Microsoft needs to release a phone, so good, that even the OS critics say, 'this phone is worth moving to Windows for!'

I am pretty sure changing the color of last years model to green ... ain't gonna do it ... lol

For me, it is a race to using only one OS for PC, phone, tablet. Either the 1820, or the new larger screen iPhone. The first to the market, will get me as a customer for the next decade.

I just mentioned green because it's my favorite color. I think Microsoft/Nokia might start to focus on good-quality, yet low-end devices for people new to the smartphone market (why the Nokia X was made), so while making a high-end phone might attract a number of WP loyalists (myself included), it's seems more plausible for MS to produce cheaper phones instead.
Also, the main parts of the rumor about the 1820 is it's a WP8.1 Phablet with great tech specs and a good (or better than 1020's) camera which is pretty much what the green (and additional colors) 1520 will be.

P.S. Apple will probably make the screen .1" wider or something and call it new. To me, it seems unlikely this will happen because Apple has always been making things smaller to the point of unreasonableness, but that's a different thread topic (probably) for another forum.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It seems like people want a world full of android phones. Maybe not here on wpcentral but I'm looking at other tech blogs and I'm utterly disgusted with how many people seem to essentially want everyone to just make an android phone and calling for nokia/Microsoft to go all in with android phones.
I think starter smart phones are a good idea ... but the X is going to be a failure. This article sums it up:

Why Microsoft Needs to Embrace Android with More Than the Nokia X | Digital Trends

IMHO ... the only reason the X was developed by Nokia ... to force Microsoft into buying Nokia at a premium price. After the MS merger, I would not be surprised if the X ... is X'ed

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
If Apple gave manufacturers licenses to use their OS in 2006/2007 when the rise of smartphones was happening, a lot of people might've wanted every new smartphone run their OS. I think news websites other than company-specific sites (like Mobile Nations') have a purposeful bias to attract more readers than usual and generate more ad revenue. Before Android started to become popular and overtake IOS, websites like CNET, to me at least, always seemed to have more posts about Apple and to slightly promote their products. With Windows Phone set to gain something like 17% of the market by 2017, the bias might slightly shift to Windows Phone or whatever it'll called since Windows, Xbox, and WP will have become one OS by then.

Keeping the thread on topic, how many WP rumors have there been which have never been made? If there have only been a few out of the total number of rumors, maybe there could be a chance the 1820 could be a phone sometime before the year ends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb