A question on pricing

R-Squared

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I could use your help. I'm developing a Windows Phone exclusive game (I'll have more info on that in another post) It's a 2D Platformer that I've been working on for almost 2 years. I think it's shaping up quite nicely. The problem is, now I'm at the point where I need to figure out how to monetize this thing. I have a bunch of Ideas and I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Option 1: PAID (with free trial) - This was my first thought. The trial would give you access to the first 5 levels (there are 25 in all) Then there would be a cut scene, with a cliff hanger (that is hopefully interesting enough to drive the purchase how) The normal price would be $1.99 but the initial launch price would be .99c (Limited Time type of deal) Thinking of possibly adding ads to the trail but not too sure (don't want to annoy players) The problem here is visibility. I've been seeing a lot of metrics that show (many) people won't even look at your app (let alone download it if it's not in the free section)

Option 2: FREEMIUM (Option 1) - The game would be totally free, but the special power UPS would be in app purchases of .99c There are 5 in all. Once you purchase them they'll start showing up in the game. (eg. Fire power up allows the player to melt walls made of ice and access secret parts of a level) There would definitely be ads in this model but they could be removed with a .99c in app purchase. If you'd like all the power UPS and the ads removed you could simply pay $2.99

Option 2: FREEMIUM (Option 2) - Again the game would be totally free. This time you'd have access to all the power UPS (and everything else in the game) There would be no adds in the in this model. The player would starts out with 5 lives and there would be more scarcely scattered around the game but if you ever run out of all your lives you'll lose all your progress (even if you've reached the last level). The player would be able to make an in app purchase of .99c for 10 lives, $1.99 for 25 lives and $4.99 for UNLIMITED lives.
Thanks for reading guys, I'd love to hear what you all think.

Also: Here's a sneak peak at the game (You guys are the first to see it)

wp_ss_20140201_0013.jpg

wp_ss_20140201_0003.jpg

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site
That's nice work for a solo project. Neat stuff. Out of the options you were thinking, 1 or 2 seem best from my point of view. In your sample video you died a bunch of times and while the prospect is there for people to buy more lives, that exercise will get real old, real fast, so option 3 seems like a bad idea. I'm probably one of the outliers that doesn't worry about whether an app costs anything as I'd prefer no ads.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
IMO, I'd do option 1 with no ads in the trial. Then create additional bonus levels that are separate from the main story as in app purchases. You could do levels 1-5 free. Levels 6-25 for $1.99 ($0.99 at launch). And additional bonus level packs with multiple levels for $0.99.

This way, I feel people not paying will get a good feel for what they will get if they purchase. You'll still be able to continuously monetize the game, even after the initial sale. And buyers won't feel like they are getting half a game, because they are forced to make in app purchases to access things like special powers.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd also go with option one. I don't mind paying for an app if I like it, so being able to try before you buy is always good as far as I'm concerned. But having said that I understand your dilemma about getting visibility for the game. What about a free version with ads with the ability to purchase to remove the ads?

R-Squared

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally, as a gamer, I'd prefer option 1 as well. I'm just worried about exposure. I don't want to be passed over just because I'm in the paid section. But at the same time I don't want people who took the time to play the game to feel the are being over charged with in app purchases.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Personally, as a gamer, I'd prefer option 1 as well. I'm just worried about exposure. I don't want to be passed over just because I'm in the paid section. But at the same time I don't want people who took the time to play the game to feel the are being over charged with in app purchases.
Instead of being paid with a free trial, make it free, with an in app purchase to get the full game. :)

R-Squared

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Instead of being paid with a free trial, make it free, with an in app purchase to get the full game. :)

That's a decent idea. I hadn't thought of that. I only wonder if (under this scenario) the free version should have more levels (than just the first 5). There's not getting a full game.

R-Squared

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Option 2: FREEMIUM (Option 2) - Again the game would be totally free. This time you'd have access to all the power UPS (and everything else in the game) There would be no adds in the in this model. The player would starts out with 5 lives and there would be more scarcely scattered around the game but if you ever run out of all your lives you'll lose all your progress (even if you've reached the last level). The player would be able to make an in app purchase of .99c for 10 lives, $1.99 for 25 lives and $4.99 for UNLIMITED lives

What if I went with this option and just charged .99c or $1.99 for unlimited lives?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb