girl burned after crushed iphone catches on fire in her pocket

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, something is going to happen. The iPhone is a fine product, I'm a die hard WP guy, but we all know that the iPhone is a fine and well constructed high end product. The odds of this happening is what 0.000001%, that's why I buy a single lottery ticket, because sometimes not matter how rate, does happen. :)

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Powerful batteries always carry this risk. WP lithium polymer cells are just the same. There was a case in the 80s of a broken phone battery sparking and igniting fuel at a petrol station, hence the signs at petrol stations to this day and the mistaken belief that making a call on your phone at the pump will ignite the fumes due to the radio signals. Which is nonsense. This incident should not reflect poorly on Apple. It is unlikely, but could happen to any powerful lithium cell.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It could very well happen to your 920, then someone else will say its a time when an iPhone would have been a better purchase.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most of the comments here suggesting it could happen with any phone. Unfortunately it happened with an iPhone and some shyster is going to go after Apple's deep pockets. Even if the case goes nowhere, I'm sure Apple's gaggle of savages (corporate attorneys) will settle quickly to avoid the name being dragged through the media mud.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't apples fault.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia 1520 (RM-937)

Tell that to Ford after the Explorer/Firestone class-action suit. BTW, having been an operations manager at a now-defunct national tire retailer many years ago and having had extensive training along with 10+ years of SCCA road racing experience, I'm more than qualified to say it wasn't Firestone's fault either. It's the appearance of impropriety or wrongdoing that sells juries. To that end, lawyers should be commended for their salesmanship.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
That's the only article I've seen that suggested the phone had been "crushed". I have always kept my cellphone in my pocket, and at times when I'm relaxing in my armchair it slips out of my pocket and i've gotten up and sat on it when I come back in the room. If she crushed it in her pocket then the 5C is a poorly constructed phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That's the only article I've seen that suggested the phone had been "crushed". I have always kept my cellphone in my pocket, and at times when I'm relaxing in my armchair it slips out of my pocket and i've gotten up and sat on it when I come back in the room. If she crushed it in her pocket then the 5C is a poorly constructed phone.

Not to sound insensitive but if she sat on it and crushed it, we all know what the obvious next question is.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
In the UK we had the very rare incident of a digital TV box going crazy and sending an em signal that got picked up by the EPIRB marine beacon satellite system, automatically summoning the Coastguard to an old lady's front room. Technically she was legally at fault as she was responsible for the maintenance of her 'kit' but clearly she was not held to be. Million to one chance. Thing is, it happened again with a totally different box a few months later. The odds were staggering, but none of us in the UK could be bothered to calculate them.

So, if your phone automatically summons the fire brigade before it burns you, would that be considered a 'feature'?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss