We need more niche windows phones.

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about how the Lumia 1020 specifically targeted photographers and the 1520 targeted people who want a bigger phone. Idk about other carriers but Att only has one rugged waterproof smartphone which is the samsung galaxy rugby pro. There is also the galaxy s4 active but it isn't as rugged and reviews complained that waterproof didn't work. The rugby runs android 4.0 and my friends was super slow and laggy. Nokia should build a rugged waterproof windows phone and release it on all 4 major carriers. That way people who need a good rugged phone will have one. Considering nokia does a great job already building top notch long lasting phones; who want's to see a rugged waterproof Lumia? (If you have any other suggestions about niche phones please post in this thread. I think nokia can get marketshare by targeting niche markets until wp gets better (8.1 looks promising) and and gets more apps.)

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
A would love to see a waterproof Lumia, maybe a rugged one! A good niche phone would be a phone for camera, sort of what Sony did with the Xperia Play.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Excellent thread. Yes I agree. "niche" devices need not be expensive, and will sell very well. I know there are at least a half dozen of us on here that would be all over:

1) A WP Nokia with a keyboard. I would prefer a portrait slider like the Dell Venue Pro, but I would take a landscape style or even the traditional BlackBerry style if it came with a 4" screen. Just miss them.

2) A rugged device like you suggested. If I can't have a keyboard, give me a Casio-style tough phone. Rugged, drop resistant, water proof... oh yeah. I would be all over that. I am on the wall at the local Post Office as among the most wanted for torturing and killing my phones. I really need this option.

3) An audio centric device. Front facing speakers, top end controls for balance. That would be my third choice.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Excellent thread. Yes I agree. "niche" devices need not be expensive, and will sell very well. I know there are at least a half dozen of us on here that would be all over:

1) A WP Nokia with a keyboard. I would prefer a portrait slider like the Dell Venue Pro, but I would take a landscape style or even the traditional BlackBerry style if it came with a 4" screen. Just miss them.

2) A rugged device like you suggested. If I can't have a keyboard, give me a Casio-style tough phone. Rugged, drop resistant, water proof... oh yeah. I would be all over that. I am on the wall at the local Post Office as among the most wanted for torturing and killing my phones. I really need this option.

3) An audio centric device. Front facing speakers, top end controls for balance. That would be my third choice.

I agree with all three, yes! And I love portrait sliders like the DVP! And an audio centric device, like the HTC One and/or the HTC Surround.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of Xperia Play. What if Sony made a windows phone version? They could bring their playstation service and other services to WP like Nokia does. They also have good cameras, but I still think Nokia Lumia 1020 is the best. Wonder when the next version is coming out.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of Xperia Play. What if Sony made a windows phone version? They could bring their playstation service and other services to WP like Nokia does. They also have good cameras, but I still think Nokia Lumia 1020 is the best. Wonder when the next version is coming out.

PlayStation services on a Microsoft OS? :-/

And I hope a successor to the 1020 with a bigger and better screen comes soon!

Last edited:

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
A handwriting version with a Wacom digitizer and stylus would be great. Samsung have shown there is a market for such a phone. Screen size would have to grow to match.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss