Whatsapp taking an unjust amount if storage space.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 520, and Whatsapp on my phone takes 200 mbs of storage. Can someone assist on how to decrease it?

the 200mb includes files.you have received such as audio, video pictures. Try deleting the stuff you dont want.

Whatsapp takes up about 125mb on one of my phones and about 65 on another.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i am also facing the same problem. my storage data says whatsapp 315 MB.
i deleted many of the threads. but i think the media received is still stored on the memory card.
i got to delete it specifically. bcoz, though i deleted the msg threads, the media is still showing in the photos hub.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
i am also facing the same problem. my storage data says whatsapp 315 MB.
i deleted many of the threads. but i think the media received is still stored on the memory card.
i got to delete it specifically. bcoz, though i deleted the msg threads, the media is still showing in the photos hub.

Storage check in the phone gives the space taken up in the phone memory. The SD card memory is shown separately. Im talking about storage check in settings. Hence the app data in storage check is for phone memory. You can try deleting photos and videos from the whatsapp folder in the photos hub as well. But if your photos are stored on the SD card, then deleting from the whatsapp folder will not not affect the phone memory.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Storage check in the phone gives the space taken up in the phone memory. The SD card memory is shown separately. Im talking about storage check in settings. Hence the app data in storage check is for phone memory. You can try deleting photos and videos from the whatsapp folder in the photos hub as well. But if your photos are stored on the SD card, then deleting from the whatsapp folder will not not affect the phone memory.

u mean to say, storage check showing only whatsapp usage, and not the data stored on SD Card.
OMG, i got to reinstall whatsapp then. i cant imagine, how it consuming 315 MB. i regularly delete variuos msgs threads (mail them as a backup first).

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
u mean to say, storage check showing only whatsapp usage, and not the data stored on SD Card.
OMG, i got to reinstall whatsapp then. i cant imagine, how it consuming 315 MB. i regularly delete variuos msgs threads (mail them as a backup first).

for data card memory, you have to check the "phone storage" under settings. "Storage check" shows the space occupied by apps on the phone memory.
Delete media from.whatsapp if you dont need it. It works for me.
to clear whatsapp media from the SD card, delete photos and videos from the whatsapp album in the photos hub.

zubairm17

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,
WhatsApp on my 535 is Showing as whopping 750+MB .

I know the reason But unable to find the solution😞

Reason is 'When audio files were getting saved in Application memory itself when they were received, actually,when it was updated,those audio files should have been moved and saved on SD, but that didn't happen (I know,there should have been a technical difficulties)

But after the update, all the files including audio files are being saved on external storage, Concerned about growing storage consumption (phone memory as WhatsApp doesn't allow to be installed on SD), I deleted the whole chat history of a particular group where I received most of the audio speeches BUT the Storage consumption is growing day by day.

Uninstall -Re-install is the last option, I would like to know whether anything can be done other than that..thanks

Pietsp

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,
WhatsApp on my 535 is Showing as whopping 750+MB .

I know the reason But unable to find the solution😞

Reason is 'When audio files were getting saved in Application memory itself when they were received, actually,when it was updated,those audio files should have been moved and saved on SD, but that didn't happen (I know,there should have been a technical difficulties)

But after the update, all the files including audio files are being saved on external storage, Concerned about growing storage consumption (phone memory as WhatsApp doesn't allow to be installed on SD), I deleted the whole chat history of a particular group where I received most of the audio speeches BUT the Storage consumption is growing day by day.

Uninstall -Re-install is the last option, I would like to know whether anything can be done other than that..thanks

I have the same problem and mine is currently at 1.02GB. Why on earth would WhatsApp force their useful, but massive, app onto the internal storage (with today's high-performance memory cards it is difficult to imagine performance would be an issue). Besides, let users decide between performance and usable storage.

Then, it is about time that Microsoft recognises that they cannot sell an 8GB phone when the OS takes up 5.6GB. Even old 2013 Android phones were left worth with over half the internal storage usable.

All my media saves onto the memory card and I have deleted all old chats.

APWaaijenberg

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
My WhatsApp just grabbed 1,81GB on of my 8GB internal memory (Lumia 730). Reinstalling it now.
But there is a trend: more and more applications are forcing to be installed into the internal memory. Many updates are blocked because they cannot be installed into the SD. Usually I simply give up the app.
But today this happened with my banking app: this one I don't want to miss.

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My WhatsApp just grabbed 1,81GB on of my 8GB internal memory (Lumia 730). Reinstalling it now.
But there is a trend: more and more applications are forcing to be installed into the internal memory. Many updates are blocked because they cannot be installed into the SD. Usually I simply give up the app.
But today this happened with my banking app: this one I don't want to miss.

Whatsapp takes up well over 2GB on my wife's Lumia 820 (8GB internal storage). She has almost no free space left. Tonight I am going to try the solution posted in this thread and see if that works. http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-windows-phone-discussion-lounge/414618-whatsapp-issues-windows-phone.html

Sentient Golf Ball

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Whatsapp takes up well over 2GB on my wife's Lumia 820 (8GB internal storage). She has almost no free space left.

I woke up this morning to see that my phone was complaining about low storage space. Overnight, WhatsApp has helped itself to 2.8GB of my internal storage. Strange.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon