Music Alarm scam

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm very close to reporting this developer to microsoft, but I thought I'd inform the community and get some opinions first.

Developer 'Valentin Diring' (search that name in the marketplace for his apps)

He has two apps called 'Music Alarm'

They both work. They're both identical but for a few strings of text. Both of them have ads. One of them is free, the other is paid. The free one prompts you to buy the paid one for an ad free experience. There are still ads.

I contacted the developer and he told me that he 'has no idea why this happened to me' and that 'thousands of users have no issues'.

I responded with, 'of the 13 reviews on your app, 3 of them complain that there are still ads, so the number of verifiable users that *complained* about the issue is rather high. How many of them bought it and didn't bother to complain?'

I also mentioned to him that I'd be more likely to believe him if his ad weren't a 100% personalized custom implementation that always points to *one of his other apps*. The only way this is a mistake is if he submitted the same app twice to the store, instead of the paid and free versions. He told me he has no idea what to do but he would look into it and reupload a new version.

This was months ago. There has been no new version. I emailed him again the other day saying if he doesn't come up with an answer soon, I'm going to report him.

I think this is obviously a scam. There is no possible way he can't figure out why one of the apps is showing his very personalized and very intrusive ad. The code for the ad simply should'nt be in the paid version. It is. He lies.

I gave him some benefit of the doubt for a while, thinking that there might be a conflict on my phone, where the free one somehow interfered with the paid one. I did a hard reset the other night. I installed the paid right away. The ad is still there. Doubts gone.

Unless I've sorely misunderstood something- how do you suggest I proceed? Is there something more than the 'report app to microsoft' link in the store? If that is the only way to proceed, I urge everyone who reads this thread to go over and report that app, as well as the free one which encourages users to buy the paid one. I want to get his attention.

Music Alarm | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Music Alarm | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

edit- you know what, even if this is somehow an honest mistake, that doesn't change the fact that he's still benefiting from it- it should be reported.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd say go ahead and report it and let MS deal with it. Why not? So far, more than 20% of his reviews complain of what seems to be fraudulent practices, and your attempts at reasonable interactions with him have produced sub-par results.

If you report him to MS and it turns out that you and others somehow misunderstood his app, his advertising and/or his business practices, then maybe he'll at least learn that what he's doing now is at best confusing to customers and, at worst, perceived as intentionally misleading and fraudulent. If it turns out that MS confirms he's trying to rip everyone off, then a bad seed has been purged from the MS store.

Thx for posting about it.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
He could have made a mistake in up the Buy/Trial mode code. The app has to test if it is running in trial or full mode, it may be doing that check incorrectly. It has been awhile though to not have a fix for it.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
He could have made a mistake in up the Buy/Trial mode code. The app has to test if it is running in trial or full mode, it may be doing that check incorrectly. It has been awhile though to not have a fix for it.

I'll email him about it

He keeps mentioning his 'thousands of users'... The free version has a thousand reviews, the paid version has about 20. The problem is with the paid version, not the free version. He's reaching for faulty excuses to justify his noncompliance, which is suspicious to me.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The dev no longer responds to my emails- not my suggestion for what he may have done wrong, and not my follow up email some months later.

This is a scam, intentional or not- please everyone take the time to flood the reviews and the "report concern to microsoft"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea