Lack of Apps: The Deal Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It's not only the apps, it's also the quality of the apps. Look at the Spotify app for example.

Personally I can live with the apps however, Nokia is (was) working heavily on getting apps to WP. That the OS is lacking in features and didn't get any relevant features since WP7 release is the bigger issue in my eyes. Just look at this terrible joke which calls itself calender.

But remember, a lot of features and improvements would be added to the 8.1 update.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I think what ttsoldier means to say that is that if people start abandoning WP stating lack of apps, it will not motivate developers to make more apps as the platform will get smaller

I guess that's why I started the thread. Just a voice in the wilderness to try to get the point across that apps matter, and not just some lone shark app developer trying to develop a Youtube reader, but corporate apps for carmakers, banks, home control systems, etc. I haven't gotten it yet, but my home alarm system advertises one of these smart systems that turns my lights on and off and changes my thermostat temp from a smartphone app. How much you wanna bet they don't support WP? How much you wanna bet that NO home security system companies support WP apps? The device should serve the customer, not the other way around.

And if I go over to Android because WP doesn't support my needs, I'm not the problem, the lack of apps is the problem..

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
No it isn't.

Then why are WP users such a tiny minority?

As for Strava, the issue is a social one. There is a much larger user community on Strava than Runtastic. If I want to track my own rides, Runtastic is adequate. But if I want to see how I compare to other riders via the King of the Hill segments, I need Strava. I know this not because I've used Strava, but because virtually EVERY OTHER CYCLIST I KNOW uses it. But because I have WP, I can't.

For Intellicast, I don't know that the app is the bees knees. I've used it as my weather source for years on PCs. I know they offer the app for Apple and Android, but because they don't offer it for WP, I can't know whether it's better or worse than the others. It is what I'm familiar with from the PC world, though, and I'd kind of like to have it on my phone as well. I know what info is available on the full website and if most or all of it is available for the app, it would be better than what I'm using now. But maybe it doesn't; I don't know. But having the choice would be nice.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Don't give up just yet have you written a letter (emailed) Fiat yet? I have emailed State Farm Insurance about their lack of app on the Windows Phone and they sent me in email confirming that it is in the making.

Windows Phone is catching traction, in fact its right on time. I started on the Android with FroYo and trust me there wasn't that many apps for it compared to the iPhone but look at Droid now.

Windows Phone is about to catch a lot of good things. You have 1.5 year to go on your contract you will see improvements.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
First off, if anyone thinks Doohickie is "part of the problem", "is just whining", or some other argument that implies he is just kicking dirt on an established short-coming of WP, you haven't read his other posts, and you are not reading his thread. Do not let his chicken throw you off: This guy is serious. (Actually, Doohickie, the chicken thing is kinda your own fault, but no matter. :smile:)

It doesn't matter what the majority of us in this forum think, only what each person thinks. I read an article on recruitment once where the recruiting coordinator at the University of Auburn was fighting hard to get a kid to come to play football there. He said he really thought he had him, only to lose him out to a school up north (he didn't say which one). When he called the kid to follow up, he asked him why he picked this school over Auburn, the kid said that they had a soft serve ice cream machine in the Athletic dorm and Auburn didn't.

Did he complain about how that was over rated? That the School caferteria had it, so there was no reason to use that as an excuse? Tell the kid he was part of the problem because he didn't come to them to ask for one? Nope. He got Auburn to put in a stinking soft-serve ice cream machine so he wouldn't lose anyother kid for the same reason.

I agree that MS, and Nokia for that matter, have done a pretty good job growing the app selections to over 300,000 in 4 years. But you are fighting 2 OS's with 1,000,000 (Dr. Evil accent) selections. It isn't important that we don't see it as a deal breaker, so many others do. I have written to maybe a dozen or more companies to see if they would create a WP app for their service, but so far none of those dozen or so companies have. The fact there is no PayPal or Square credit card reader app is why my wife now has an Android. The lack of a bank app is why my friends entire family are now on iOS. The fact that Marvel and DC Comics do not have an app is why my sons friend crossed WP off his list about a year ago.

It is a deal breaker. It is the norm. Apps are expected. Saying we are fine without them doesn't help at all. Because it isn't about us, it is about Doohickie and users like him that would love or do love WP if only thet had this app or that app or that other app.

The problem with this is its a vicious cycle. Apps are not made because of low popularity, low popularity because lack of apps. Its a continuum.

Hopefully 8.1 update will boost popularity and cause the platform to sell more and by then developers will want to create apps for the platform.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Don't give up just yet have you written a letter (emailed) Fiat yet? I have emailed State Farm Insurance about their lack of app on the Windows Phone and they sent me in email confirming that it is in the making.

Windows Phone is catching traction, in fact its right on time. I started on the Android with FroYo and trust me there wasn't that many apps for it compared to the iPhone but look at Droid now.

Windows Phone is about to catch a lot of good things. You have 1.5 year to go on your contract you will see improvements.

I'm not giving up yet.

What precipitated the whole thing is that my glass cracked and since I have a protection plan I got a replacement phone. While reloading all the apps, some of the holes kind of jumped out. State Farm is my insurance company and it is one of the companies I've complained about the lack of apps to. I got no response. Good to hear you got one.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm not giving up yet.

What precipitated the whole thing is that my glass cracked and since I have a protection plan I got a replacement phone. While reloading all the apps, some of the holes kind of jumped out. State Farm is my insurance company and it is one of the companies I've complained about the lack of apps to. I got no response. Good to hear you got one.

I have State Farm and they have a really nice mobile website. Just saying. :smile:

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
It's not only the apps, it's also the quality of the apps. Look at the Spotify app for example...
Sometimes good things come to those who wait...
Spotify coming w/two new updates this Spring...

-------------------------------------
We?re updating our Windows Phone app!
February 24th, 2014
by Diego Planas Rego

We?re happy to announce that two new updates are coming to Windows Phone 8 users this spring. The first Spotify update brings the much-anticipated Radio, Browse and Discover features. This means that you will be able to listen to personalized radio stations, browse for what?s hot and what?s new, or discover more music.

The update also brings significant improvements and a brand new design and will be available to users later this spring.

This new update will be available for Spotify Premium subscribers at the beginning. But the recently announced Spotify Free for mobile will also be arriving on Windows Phone ? follow us on twitter to keep yourself up to date.

In the meantime, you can also sign up for a free trial of Spotify Premium

---------------------------------------------

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes good things come to those who wait...

I read the news and I am aware of this. The app was released in July 2013. Already back then it was lacking in features (radio!) and already back then it was slow as hell and terrible to use. That they announced an update is nice, but has no effect as long as I don't have it on my phone.

It also was just an example, you could say the same about the Skype app for example (I don't know the current state, does it have the features of the iOS app now?), and this company even belongs to Microsoft.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh man. The app thing again. Over it. Pick your head up and do something real in life. Apps are destroying our youth.

Like posting annoying and useless comments in forums?

This is a real problem of Windows Phone. Just not talking about it won't help at all.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Being arrogant about it won't help either. If you're not happy with the app situation, you can either wait for them to get released/get better, or buy an iPhone or an Android and move on.

This incessant complaining isn't helping anyone.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Being arrogant about it won't help either. If you're not happy with the app situation, you can either wait for them to get released/get better, or buy an iPhone or an Android and move on.

This incessant complaining isn't helping anyone.

I hope you never run into any problem with anything in your life, if your solution is running to something different. What a waste of resources and money. Also it certainly doesn't make you happy.

This isn't a flame war, it is a sober discussion about a problem of the platform. Nobody forced you to read it, nobody forced you to comment on it. If it annoys you, just ignore it. For other users it might help to share solutions for missing apps, to be reminded of how many apps were released in recent months, or just to share and talk about it.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I offered solutions, they're just not what you like/want. If you don't have Intellicast, you can use Weather.com. If you don't have Strava, you can use Runtastic or Endomondo. Both of these are highly regarded, and they also have social aspects to them. But OP wants Strava, and the solution is to... use an iPhone or an Android device. This is not running away to something different, this is being a rational consumer. It's the opportunity cost to using a smartphone that isn't the leader in app availability; you get something (stability, fluidity, ease of use, good looks, etc.), and you lose something (a seemingly endless amount of apps, including the latest popular social network or whatever).

​Personally I really like and use VSCO Cam and Faded, two excellent photo editing apps for iOS. I have a Lumia 920, but I also have an iPad and I use these there. It's just what works for me. Not everyone wants to have two devices, so if getting an iPhone or an iPad in addition to your WP is not practical, then the only solution is to wait for them to appear for WP or to move to iOS.

JNaDa

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad you've contacted the companies directly requesting apps from them. If EVERYONE did that, this wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem. Regardless of the number of people saying that you are "what's wrong with WP8," it's actually the people who don't contact the companies who are part of the problem. At least you are trying to be a part of the solution.

That said, I understand your frustrations. I'd encourage you to hold out as long as you can, as the reward is potentially great. Without people like you who actually speak up (and not just in the forums) WP wouldn't have much of a shot at becoming one of the "big 3". MS can only do so much to advocate on our behalf if we're not there to back them up.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Like anyone, I'd love to see more apps for WP but it's not a deal-breaker for me. I guess I'm just not that into apps over the occasional use of a mobile website. Perhaps that's why I like my Surface Pro so much. Sometimes I use the app and sometimes I use the browser. I'm not suggesting everyone else has to have that perspective but I actually appreciate the fact that there's not an overwhelming number of apps to sift through in the store. I already have too many apps downloaded anyway. I remember when I first adopted WP I lamented hearing on the radio "download our El Adobe restaurant app on iPhone and Android." Why not WP, I thought? Now, with a bit more perspective, I'm glad I don't have an app for a local Mexican restaurant. To each his or her own.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Like posting annoying and useless comments in forums?

This is a real problem of Windows Phone. Just not talking about it won't help at all.

Look man I'm not going to apologize for what I said because its the truth. Trust me, I'm sure MSFT is working on it. Stop being so Cray Cray.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Look man I'm not going to apologize for what I said because its the truth. Trust me, I'm sure MSFT is working on it. Stop being so Cray Cray.

I had to look Cray Cray up. I think you should do the same: Urban Dictionary: cray cray

Why should I trust you, how can you know? It's highly likely they are working on providing more and better apps, they also announced future apps coming to WP, so nothing new there. What's your special insight?

And why is everybody always using the NASDAQ stock symbol of Microsoft? Is this the reason Bing is so terrible abroad because Microsoft is entirely USA focused and the users emphasize this by referring to Microsoft by an American stock exchange name?

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I had to look Cray Cray up. I think you should do the same: Urban Dictionary: cray cray

Why should I trust you, how can you know? It's highly likely they are working on providing more and better apps, they also announced future apps coming to WP, so nothing new there. What's your special insight?

And why is everybody always using the NASDAQ stock symbol of Microsoft? Is this the reason Bing is so terrible abroad because Microsoft is entirely USA focused and the users emphasize this by referring to Microsoft by an American stock exchange name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo